Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Irregular bleeding on sequential HRT  (Read 1267 times)

AM16

Irregular bleeding on sequential HRT
« on: February 15, 2023, 10:01:10 AM »

Hi everyone,

I am 50 and in peri meno and my last period was in October 2022 - before that they were very irregular.

I started Everol 50 patches and 200mg Utrogestan sequential HRT in December 2022 for hot flushes and all was well the first month with a good bleed day 4 after stopping Utrogestan. This month I had a much smaller bleed on day 4 after stopping utrogestan (more like spotting), but now, 17 days after stopping utrogestan, I've got a full on bleed with cramps and headache, just like a regular period. I had been feeling a bit off this week and felt like I had a PMT so this makes sense.

Is it right that my regular cycle can kick in and take over the HRT? I'm now a bit worried I'm going to be in a cycle of having a period every 15 days as I'm due to start utrogestan tomorrow for 12 days. Should I delay starting it, or just carry on regardless and hope that as I get further into meno things will calm down?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me!

Taz2

Re: Irregular bleeding on sequential HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 10:58:00 AM »

AM16.  It can take up to three months for your body to "settle" into HRT so it is still early days. As you had only missed a couple of periods when you first began HRT then your own cycle is probably still very strong. You should still use the utrogestan in the usual way and, hopefully, your two cycles will eventually sync though some women do find that their natural cycle always overrides their HRT one. It's a case of waiting and seeing really.

I hope that apart from the bleeding you are beginning to find relief from meno symptoms?

Taz x

AM16

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 11:35:17 AM »

Hi Taz,

Thanks for replying. Yes, total relief from flushes and night sweats which is amazing! Fingers crossed the bleeding will settle eventually and will get in sync.

AM x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 12:29:28 PM »

Good news then that it's helping with the other symptoms. I hope the bleeding settles soon.

Taz x