Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: What were your symptoms of too high Estrogen?  (Read 1386 times)

Gilla999

What were your symptoms of too high Estrogen?
« on: January 21, 2023, 08:14:48 AM »

I've been suffering for the last four or so weeks with horrendous symptoms which I think have been caused by too high Estrogen. I haven't changed my HRT dose but I think I've had a natural surge like is often described in Peri, as I had a blood test which came back at 950 pmol - much higher than it usually is for me (I test regularly and it's always about the same).

The challenge is that when I reduce my HRT even slowly, that I get my original symptoms back, but at an Estrogen level that high this obviously can only be rebound effects and not actually from low Estrogen. 

I've seen many women here mention problems from their Estrogen level being too high, and I'd be interested to hear feedback of what symptoms you experienced when you had this? Was it identifiably different from your low E symptoms (as I know there is so much cross over).

My symptoms were very much histamine based, as I have some kind of allergic reaction to high Estrogen, but that aside it was the most horrendous anxiety I've ever experienced - very strong palpitations,(specifically from 3pm ish onwards) as well as overwhelming feelings of dread and doom. The above would unsurprisingly stop me getting to sleep. It feels like a massive wave of energy or adrenaline surge late afternoon that lasted all evening.

After slowly managing to reduce my Lenzetto from 3.66 sprays (using tape) to 3 sprays I am feeling a little improved - still having the palpitations but the feelings of dread and doom have eased off.

I'm curious to know how others have experienced it when their HRT has been too high - thanks! X

VanillaLover

Re: What were your symptoms of too high Estrogen?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 09:50:54 AM »

Hi, I wouldn’t say I think my HRT is too high per se, but I definitely do have these mad surges sometimes which I guess is my ovaries having a panic….!

For me the tell tale signs are sore boobs and nausea. And just feeling ill and off.

I tend to get the anxiety and jitters/palpitation things when oestrogen is lower than usual I think. Though it’s all guesswork! If only we had a little real time smart meter for oestrogen levels…how much easier it would be!

What kind of stage are /were your periods at ? How old are you etc from interest?

Floo36

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 01:29:55 PM »

Your symptoms are of low Estrogen for me.  Your blood results was most likely a spike and not what they are all of the time.  I have spikes that can go as high as 5000pmol.  Our ovaries can spurt out high spikes of Estrogen in the quest to keep going until they finally pack in. I suspect if you did a blood test even 5 minutes later it would be different again.  I suspect that your symptoms are low Estrogen not high.  I get a crazy libido when high, nausea and sore boobs are a low Estrogen symptom for me along with all the other nasty symptoms.

Gilla999

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 02:46:02 PM »

Thanks ladies - definitely not low Estrogen in my case, but I understand how misleading it is because the symptoms of low and high are so similar. Floo, my monthly blood tests have always been pretty reliable - always in the 700-800 mark, except for when they dipped slightly after covid.

My classic low E symptoms (and what led me to HRT in the first place) are horrendous night sweats and 3am insomnia - this is what I also get when I try to reduce my HRT if I do it too fast.

The gut wrenching anxiety / dread / doom  / jittery / not being able to get to sleep because you feel like you've drunk 20 espressos / palpitations / chronic urticaria are all connected to when my Estrogen is much too high, either if I've tried increasing my HRT in the past and my body didn't like it, or like this last month when I've had these big surges as part of Peri.

I was just curious to hear others feedback of their symptoms of when their HRT is too high and see if there were any similarities but it sounds like it's pot luck whether it's down to low or high xx

Floo36

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 04:26:19 PM »

It’s pretty awful and with the added skin problems I totally understand. 

We know our own bodies and unfortunately we do have to work this stuff out ourselves.

Gilla999

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 05:17:38 PM »

So true - such a shame there isn't a machine that we could use in Peri so we could actually and accurately see what the hell is going on! So much of it is trial and error and a lot of pain along the way!

Pippa52

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 05:24:47 PM »

Hi - yes I have definitely felt like this too.  The anxiety was horrendous as were the palpitations.  It was pretty overwhelming and was equally bad on Evorel patches, Lenzetto and Oestrogel.  Strangely mine was apparently more due to low oestrogen levels (53pmol on the last test).  I seem to slowly improving on Estradot 50 patches, anxiety and sleep way better and only very occasional palpitations.  I really feel for you - the symptoms are truly awful especially the anxiety - well it was almost like permanent panic at one point.  Do hope your lower dose makes you feel much better very soon xx

Gilla999

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 05:46:18 PM »

Thanks Pippa - I thought of you because symptoms were so similar to what I'd seen you describe. It's so confusing and strange how symptoms of too high can also mimic too low.

The gut wrenching anxiety was new to me... the overwhelming feelings of unexplainable doom and dread were horrendous. Like you said, it was almost permanent panic. But none of my classic low E symptoms of night sweats and 3am insomnia and the last couple of days since i lowered seem to have improved the anxiety, so fingers crossed.

So glad to hear you're doing a bit better and keeping fingers crossed it remains that way for you xx

Scampidoodle

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 06:45:53 PM »

Hi Gilla,

I’m someone whose high estrogen triggers a multitude of symptoms. Mostly histamine related which manifest in both physical and psychological symptoms. This can sometimes be because the dose is too high or your body doesn’t detox estrogen well so it all backs up or you’re pre disposed to histamine issues genetically.

My symptoms were nausea, migraine, Breast pains, palpitations, anxiety, feeling jittery, depression, brain fog.

I really do sympathise as it’s rotten. Increasing estrogen when I was experiencing this (which was advised by Nick Panays clinic) caused untold problems and I felt truly poisoned.

I agree it’s hard as the symptoms of low and high E are similar! But important to consider both ends of the spectrum so an important thread x

Angelasurrey

Re: What were your symptoms of too high Estroge
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 05:23:01 AM »

Hi Gilla ,

I have  been meaning to reply. I’m still trying to optimise my HRT :o and it’s been really really difficult. I know you have kindly helped me in the past and I’m super grateful. In my case, when I had the really bad palpitations ( less frequent now) it was mainly because my oestrogen was too low. Also the high anxiety which I seem to get before my period also is linked to lower hormones and perhaps the utrogestan or my own progesterone?!

I think as Women struggling through this perimenopause nightmare,  there definitely needs to be some clarity around what actual low and high oestrogen symptoms are and  how to treat these. I know I’ve been getting all these rashes and things all over my face and there seems to be one symptom after another and I can’t tell what hormone / whether it’s low or high .. is causing which symptom.

xx