Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil  (Read 813 times)

Tracylou

Mirena coil
« on: December 31, 2022, 09:27:53 PM »

Had a coil fitted on the 12th Dec. Terrible lower back pain, numbness & leg pain ever since. Saw my gp on Thursday & asked her to take it out. When she removed it she noticed that it hadn't been put in correctly, it hadn't been put in high enough. I've since still had so much pain, I'm on regular painkillers. Increased bleeding too. Anyone had a similar thing & know when I should improve. Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 10:27:12 PM »

Who put it inside?

MayB type 'mirena coil' into the search box as it's late to see the threads that pop up.  Let us know how you get on.  Have you had a warm bath?

Tracylou

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 10:32:31 PM »

It was put in by a gynaecologist at my local hospital. You'd think they'd know what they're doing but they obviously don't!

Nas

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 10:40:32 PM »

Ouch!! Poor you 😢
I would imagine you would start to feel better soon, now it’s out. Keep topped up with paracetamol and ibuprofen though. The bleeding should also ease.

That’s pretty irresponsible of the gynaecologist who fitted it. I had one fitted end of May and other than a bit of spotting and cramps, it was okay.

Best of luck 🤞

Tracylou

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 12:51:31 AM »

Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 08:33:56 AM »

How do you feel this morning?   Do U have vaginal atrophy, because that would make the coil difficult to insert if the area is dry.  Even so, a Gynaecologist should be aware ..... however  ::)

Tracylou

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 10:52:39 AM »

Heavy bleeding last night, clots. Still got a bad back & headache today too. I don't have VA. When he put the coil in the speculum really started to hurt. I think he was a bit rough. Plus he let a student have a go first but she couldn't fit it so he had to take over. Had a leaky bladder for a couple of days after so started vagifem. Gp had a look & said everything was very inflamed down below so I was prescribed a steroid cream to use for a week. I just thought once it was removed I'd feel better but I don't!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 11:14:39 AM »

Oh gosh, I am so sorry this has happened to you. How irresponsible of the gyane to let a student put the coil in and then do a poor job afterwards.

I imagine the delicate tissues need time to heal. I would avoid baths and switch to showers. I really hope you feel better soon.🤗

Tracylou

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 12:00:42 PM »

Thank you. I'm just so fed up with it all now. I've had constant pain for nearly 3 weeks. I don't know when to restart my utrogestan, my gp just said to do it when I wanted to! I wondered if I started it, whether it would stop the bleeding or make it worse.

Nas

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 12:22:41 PM »

Why did you opt for the coil to begin with? Contraception or heavy periods?

Tracylou

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 12:36:15 PM »

Gp suggested it as I wasn't getting on with utrogestan. Never suffered with heavy periods til this one!

Dierdre

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 12:45:42 PM »

I had a coil fitted many years ago and my body ejected it, I went to the doctors and while he examined me it popped out. The pain I'd been suffering stopped immediately. It may or may not have been fitted incorrectly.

Is the bleeding a period or are you just bleeding?
Have you got a temperature?
Can you ring the hospital where you had it fitted and tell them whats happened, they should give advice or arrange to see you. It may have been fitted correctly but your body ejected it, this sometimes happens.
If it's been fitted incorrectly it's the hospitals responsibility to see you and make sure everything is ok as you are still in pain and bleeding.
Try and rest and hopefully that will ease the bleeding.

Tracylou

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2023, 02:04:41 PM »

Thanks. It's not a usual period as it's been going on for 12 days now. No temperature, just awful back pain & numbness. The gp thinks it wasn't fitted high enough up. I'll go back to her this week & mention seeing the hospital.