Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Taking HRT but my anxiety has increased  (Read 861 times)

Hawkie

• First Flush
Taking HRT but my anxiety has increased
« on: January 01, 2023, 12:21:02 AM »

I am currently going through perimenopausal and I have been on HRT for over 2 years plus taking DHEA, test cream and vitamin supplements being Vit D,B,C, Zinc and Iron. My doctor advised my hormone levels are all good but I am suffering from anxiety on a daily basis, which includes crying a lot and a couple of panic attacks.  I have had low levels of anxiety for many years which didn't effect my life too much. But now I rarely have a day with out feeling anxious.
I spoke to my doctor & she said the anxiety doesn't have anything to do with menopause as my hormone levels are good. But I feel it does. The HRT helps as I don't have hot flushes and initially stopped the headaches, but now I seem to have a headache all the time.
Does anyone have any advise on other things I could take to help my anxiety. Should I stop taking the HRT so I could take other things to help my anxiety?? My doctor did prescribe Antidepressants but I don't won't to take them.

Dandelion

Re: Taking HRT but my anxiety has increased
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 12:36:07 AM »

I am currently going through perimenopausal and I have been on HRT for over 2 years plus taking DHEA, test cream and vitamin supplements being Vit D,B,C, Zinc and Iron. My doctor advised my hormone levels are all good but I am suffering from anxiety on a daily basis, which includes crying a lot and a couple of panic attacks.  I have had low levels of anxiety for many years which didn't effect my life too much. But now I rarely have a day with out feeling anxious.
I spoke to my doctor & she said the anxiety doesn't have anything to do with menopause as my hormone levels are good. But I feel it does. The HRT helps as I don't have hot flushes and initially stopped the headaches, but now I seem to have a headache all the time.
Does anyone have any advise on other things I could take to help my anxiety. Should I stop taking the HRT so I could take other things to help my anxiety?? My doctor did prescribe Antidepressants but I don't won't to take them.
I hope you don't mind me coming on the thread.
What you are going through sounds horrible, and it must have been unpleasant to hear your doctor  doesn't have anything to do with menopause as my hormone levels are good doesn't have anything to do with menopause as my hormone levels are good.

I experience very similar to you, on HRT and suffering anxiety, HRT never got rid of my anxiety or did it? I do have an underlying cause, some real problems, as known by those around me, I started perimenopause at 42, I am now 56, and feel a return of physical symptoms, the scared anxious parts of me are saying the physiology of stress is causing a return in my meno physical symptoms.
I don't know much about DHEA, while I take stuff, I ask a lot of questions on reddit forums as the technical chemical stuff does my head in, all I need to know, from enough of the right people, online, to convince me, what I take is safe.
I use reddit a lot.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 08:39:54 AM »

Hawkie.   Your Dr needs to update her knowledge  >:(

Many medics have no idea how hormonal upheavals affect women.  What did your GP offer to ease the anxiety surges?  Mine gave me betablockas to take at night which helped a lot.

Make sure that you are well hydrated as lack of liquids can cause headaches.  Also if you are anxious = headaches.  Clenching of teeth, growing, shoulders up the ears ..... all my symptoms. 

If you have an AD which helps anxiety then take it.  What's to lose?  They are not addictive and if you can get 6-8 months relief then it really is worth it.  If you are hungry, do you. not eat?  If you have pain ...........

Hawkie

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 09:25:32 AM »

Thank-you for your advise. My GP only offered AD, which I didn't want to take as I was worried about the side effects. Have you taken them and if so did they help you & did you have any side effects?
I hadn't heard of betablockas but I just googled them and they sound good, I assume I would need to get a prescription for them from the Doctor. And can I take them when I'm HRT?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 09:53:39 AM »

Hello Hawkie and welcone to the forum. Many of us experience anxiety due to menopause and it is fine to take anxiety medication with HRT. Anti depressants or anxiety meducation would need to be taken daily. Some people have side effects and some do not. I take an anti depressant and would never be without it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 02:01:32 PM »

I wouldn't get out of bed without my ADs.

Your GP is wrong, the 1st line of defence is HRT not ADs.  Unless a person is suicidal.