Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Timing of bleeding on cyclical HRT  (Read 1013 times)

Righter

• First Flush
Timing of bleeding on cyclical HRT
« on: December 29, 2022, 11:27:31 PM »

Hello everyone

I'm new. I've been on HRT for about 14 months. 1 pump of the estrogen gel/day and 200mg of utrogestan/night for 14 days a month. I always get a bleed while I'm on the utrogestan and not after. Could this be because this bleed is my normal period and not the withdrawal period that can come after someone stops the utrogestan?

My periods were 10 weeks apart when I first began HRT. Since then I've had a regular monthly bleed about 28-30 days apart during the utrogestan taking part of the month.

I just wondered if this is 'normal'?

Thanks in advance
R

Ellie O

Re: Timing of bleeding on cyclical HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 04:07:16 AM »

Yes this is normal.  Most women bleed few days before they finish Utrogestan.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 09:38:21 AM »

I think this may be your natural cycle breaking through. As you say, it is usually the stopping of the progesterone that induces a bleed, hence the term 'withdrawal bleed'. The important thing is that you are having a bleed which should protect your womb lining.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 11:26:36 AM »

No it isn't 'normal' but you don't need to worry about it. As Taz2 says it's the withdrawal from utro that induces the bleed so if you had no cycle of your own you would bleed 2-3 days after you stop utro. You could start utro a few days earlier to get it in step with your own cycle. The dose for a sequi utro regime is 12 days x 200mg on days 15-26 though taking it for 14 days instead of 12 will do no harm.

Righter

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 02:17:38 PM »

Thank you all!

VanillaLover

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 04:03:12 PM »

Hi, yes I have the same problem although my cycle lengths are very variable so I have no bleed on withdrawal, bleed during progesterone, bleed during oestrogen only etc etc etc. As I’m not regular I can’t see I would be able to get them in sync even if I tried!

Have been on HRT same length of time as you. I did speak to an NHS consultant initially and asked him this question, he said that it didn’t matter as long as you are bleeding regularly.

It does worry me still, not sure what will happen in the future when my periods get far apart if I’m still not getting regular withdrawal bleeds. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it though!