Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Skin problems with HRT  (Read 2986 times)

3isenough

Skin problems with HRT
« on: March 10, 2022, 11:34:42 PM »

I am currently having problems with topical estrogen, I reacted to the estradot patches after using them for 6 months, so I tried a different patch Evorel I think, same thing.

So moved to estrogel on upper arm, and similarly after a while I started to react on my arms. Started putting it on my legs instead, a few months later. My shins start to react too. Move to my hips.. you guessed it.

Now I do alternate the area around every day but using 4 pumps I use most of a limb each day. And once an area has reacted it stays sensitive so one application triggers the heat rash style irritation.

I went back to the patches thinking maybe that would be ok now. Managed 2 patches then I could take the itch/blister/burn no more.

But in that week I heavily moisturised my legs and they stopped itching where the gel had trigged irritation.

Now I alternate the gel between legs and then moisturise the other one but it’s not enough … so does anyone else have a solution? Can I apply the gel WITH a moisturiser or will that prevent absorption. So frustrating as I don’t generally have sensitive skin, I NEVER used moisturiser. Never needed to. I can’t see other than the implant another bioidentical option. I’m 43 so I have I expect a good while of using HRT ahead of me.

Amazing grace

Re: Skin problems with HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 11:51:31 PM »

Hi sorry to hear you are having problems with your skin and hrt, definitely don't use moisturiser before applying the gel it will prevent proper absorption, i used to get a very itchy raised rash when using the patches, Im on gel now it doesn't cause a rash for me but it has caused very dry itchy skin, you could ask your doctor for lenzetto spray which involves using only a small area on the inner forearm, 4 pumps of gel is alot of gel to put on if its causing skin irritation, can't offer you a solution for the irritated skin, probably wise to switch to the lenzetto spray see if that works better with your skin.

3isenough

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 07:27:57 AM »

Oh fantastic I didn’t know we could get a spray in the UK? I will speak to my meno clinic and see if I can try it.

Amazing grace

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 08:48:01 AM »

Yes lenzetto spray is available in UK on the NHS, lots of ladies use it on here, good luck hope you get it and it doesn't cause you any skin irritation.

3isenough

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 10:37:57 PM »

I’ve ordered some from the independent pharmacy to try. It will take weeks if not months to get a script from my consultant. Figure I might as well see if it works before I start the battle  ;D

Gilla999

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 10:25:09 AM »

3isneough I stumbled upon this post while Google searching something and I wondered how you were doing on this topic - I realise you might not see this post! After using Lenzetto with no problems for 1.5 years I have also developed a rash on my inner arm that is exactly as you describe. I tried switching to using my inner thigh instead of inner arm but I don't think it absorbs properly at all, as I had a terrible return of all my symptoms fairly swiftly and had to move back. However in those 4 or 5 days I heavily moisturised the inner arm and it made the rash disappear. I had been thinking about a switch to patches, but it seems like from your post there's a chance that won't help!

I wonder what it is you're actually reacting to? Ie. the Estrogen itself or one of the by-products?

Floo36

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 11:19:23 AM »

I’m the same, I now have eczema for the first time in my life and my skin has become dry, thin and fragile which is from lack of Estrogen.  I never rested to anything, now I do.  I fathomed it out by looking back on my notes and over the last few years at the lowest part of my cycle I would become very dry and itchy then it would improve as my Estrogen went up, now I’m closer to meno I’m dry all the time.  If we can replace the Estrogen that we have lost it should improve our skin too, that is where the challenge is for me.