Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vagifem Side Effects  (Read 1091 times)

Amcc

• First Flush
Vagifem Side Effects
« on: December 30, 2022, 02:34:05 PM »

hi Everyone

just wondered if anyone was having side effects with Vagifem?  I started this in July as I was feeling like my bits were rubbing!  It has helped well with that side of things, but since i started taking it i have had one bad migraine (never had one before), with aura, and i could not speak properly this was August, i have been getting more headaches, but no migraines, i also  had a bad case of thrush which i have only ever had once in my life that took 3 weeks to clear, although it did clear up, everything was ok until i woke up in November with Vertigo and neck ache, have fixed the neck ache, but although no longer vertigo (room spinning) i still feel unsteady on my feet and out of balance, and sometimes like the world is coming in on me even though i am sitting down, hard to explain really, driving is really difficult so i have kind of stopped doing it as i feel just strange like im going to crash.  I have been to the ENT and he has said that he thinks its Vestibular Migraines, but did say if the diet he has told me to follow does not work that we will have to think about the Vagifem.  After this i had a good look at the side effect leaflet and it does seem that it can cause dizziness, balance issues and of course thrush.  I am unsure what to do now, as i am thinking more and more I am having side effects from the Vagifem, it is near on high impossible to get a doctors appointment and anyway my doctors dont have menopause doctors in situ.  Bit stuck with what to do, i have carried on taking the Vagifem but wondering whether to continue?  Any advice would be most welcome, hope you all had a great xmas and new year  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem Side Effects
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 02:56:37 PM »

Hi!  Very rarely 'vagifem' causes side effects. 

Migraines can be part of peri-menopause which your Consultant should be aware of.  Which diet? 

Also dizziness can also be related as hormone levels rise and fall.  How is your sitting position?  Check that your foot wear is appropriate: ditch flip flops and other non-supportive shoes 👠 /boots 🥾  because if the feet are not supported the whole spine from bottom to top can be affected.  Which may affect balance issues.  The last attack of true vertigo happened to me in the 1990s, due to having had a very heavy cold.  Awful.  It was on New Years Eve and the GP refused to attend, DH had to drive 5 miles to his house for treatment.  I was less than impressed when I found out that the GP liked a tipple  >:(

Thrush can be diagnosed by proper testing.  Vaginal Atrophy can mimic thrush. 

There are several treatments if 1 doesn't fancy 'vagifem'.  The idea is to use the prescription every night for 2-3 weeks: then drop off to 3 and 5/6th nights, however: many require treatment nightly.  Some use 'vagifem' internally, adding 'ovestin' or moistorisors on the outer labia.   Nightly.  To keep the area moist = no itchyness.  It may take a while for symptoms to settle so the sooner the better! 

The leaflets in vaginal atrophy treatment are out of date by 1,000s of years  ;).  Dr Louise is trying to get that information altered.

As an aside: I can no longer go to the theatre.  As the lights drop I have the sensation of feeling forwards, happens where ever I sit.  Then nausea begins  :-\.  No medic seems to be interested in any investigations.  Eye tests all within normal limits.

MayB see what is available over the counter in the way of VA treatment - 1 shouldn't have to buy products but if you really cannot get a GP or Nurse Practitioner appt. then paying might help.  Some products may sting initially as the skin is thin and dry.

Let us know how you get on.  Do read the 'bladder issues' thread, make notes ;-)

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 02:58:01 PM »

That is so annoying for you on top of the horrendous VA.
The only way to know for sure is to stop using Vagifem to test whether it’s causing your symptoms.

I know there are ladies on here who have had side effects using Vagifem, hopefully they will be along soon with alternative solutions for you.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 03:00:41 PM »

Ovestin - for internal and external use - don't let any medic suggest that we can't use both 'vagifem' and 'ovestin' together, 1 cannot over dose on VA treatments!

Sylc and/or Yes products on the outer labia
KY Jelly on the outer labia
Savlon in an emergency

Cotton knickers or none at all under a skirt, to allow the breeze to keep things fresh
Try not to scratch!  Thrush is usually high up ........ and has to be diagnosed with an investigation

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 03:04:43 PM »

I get bad stomach cramps when using vagifem. I can use ovestin without side effects. I would request ovestin and say you wish to use this instead. If you stress you really need it today before the new year then hopefully they will sort that out.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 03:10:17 PM »

Check the Pharmacy website to see which products they sell.  I can't remember the name  :-\