Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause symptoms at 36? Anybody experience these symptoms at all?  (Read 1481 times)

Lauz7

Hello there! I am almost 36 now and have been getting breast pains (shooting pains) for over 6 months now. I have been to the breast clinic twice, got checked, had ultrasound on breasts and underarms. And all good. Fairly recently I had a comprehensive list of bloods too as nothing was subsiding and they didn’t show indication of anything sinister anywhere which is great of course. Phew. Then recently started getting sore armpits (mostly right side) and aching into the arm and side of breast but then comes and goes. Aching arms and wrists sometimes too. Can’t think of a reason for it. So I am wondering if it’s possible these MAY be peri menopause symptoms? The doctor said there is a small chance. So just wondered if anyone had experience of this.
I am on the combined pill too so didn’t think symptoms would be noticeable if I am on the pill.
Thanks in advance!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Perimenopause symptoms at 36? Anybody experience these symptoms at all?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 03:39:39 PM »

Yep.   :welcomemm:  no lady is 'too young' to go into peri-menopause.

MayB keeping a mood/food/symptom diary would be of use. 

Browse round.  Ask away. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 04:03:06 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I started HRT at 38. Like CLKD said, you are not too young. 😀

Lauz7

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 09:23:55 PM »

Ah that’s kind! Thank you to you both for the support. I feel like all sorts of odd stuff has happened and then goes away for a while. I had a heavy feeling in my pelvic region a few months ago, thought I was coming on my period. I wasn’t. Not pregnant either. It was really odd for me so started getting worried, but then after 2 or 3 weeks it went away. The body is odd, isn’t it?! Get really hot waves over me too. I feel like I’m going mad and I am sure the doctors think it’s all in my head! As they can’t seem to work out what it is. I do take the pill though so thought I wouldn’t have many symptoms if I’m on it? Did anyone else get symptoms yet still be on the pill? Be interesting to know. Thanks for reading, sorry long post there.
Also yes- definitely going to start making a note of mood/foods etc and I do need to get back into some exercising I think

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 09:21:21 AM »

I need to do more exercise  ::)

We have a thread here about intermittent, always changing symptoms.  As well as 'doing stupid things'.  You'll fit right in  ;)

Let us know how you get on.

Lauz7

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 10:05:28 AM »

Thank you!! I will try and navigate my way around!   :-*

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 02:25:17 PM »

Ah that’s kind! Thank you to you both for the support. I feel like all sorts of odd stuff has happened and then goes away for a while. I had a heavy feeling in my pelvic region a few months ago, thought I was coming on my period. I wasn’t. Not pregnant either. It was really odd for me so started getting worried, but then after 2 or 3 weeks it went away. The body is odd, isn’t it?! Get really hot waves over me too. I feel like I’m going mad and I am sure the doctors think it’s all in my head! As they can’t seem to work out what it is. I do take the pill though so thought I wouldn’t have many symptoms if I’m on it? Did anyone else get symptoms yet still be on the pill? Be interesting to know. Thanks for reading, sorry long post there.
Also yes- definitely going to start making a note of mood/foods etc and I do need to get back into some exercising I think

Please do not apologise for a long post. You are free to write as much as you wish.

I was taking cerezette and I still had peri symptoms. Like you, I thought they may pass by without me noticing. Yes, the body really is odd. It is confusing how symptoms can come and go for no apparent reason.

Lauz7

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 07:57:38 AM »

Thanks Flossie. This is actually very comforting. Because it’s been two weeks and now the armpit ache and burning sensation is subsiding and I’m like- what the heck was that about? So it’s all very confusing. Plus, good to know you were also taking the pill and noticed symptoms. Like I said, really thought I wouldn’t notice anything if I was on the pill. So this is interesting!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 11:14:21 AM »

Thanks Flossie. This is actually very comforting. Because it’s been two weeks and now the armpit ache and burning sensation is subsiding and I’m like- what the heck was that about? So it’s all very confusing. Plus, good to know you were also taking the pill and noticed symptoms. Like I said, really thought I wouldn’t notice anything if I was on the pill. So this is interesting!

I am so pleased the pain is reducing. I had no idea peri was even a thing! I am so glad for this forum.😀

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 09:12:25 AM »

Hi Lauz7

:welcomemm:

Cerazette - the POP - is very different from the combined pill and is known to reduce oestrogen levels and therefore menopausal symptoms would be far more likely to be noticed.

The combined pill contains oestrogen as you know and so it's not certain what menopausal symptoms you might experience, so is not comparable with POP. What combi pill do you take and how do you take it?

The usual way to diagnose peri-menopause is through cyclical changes and symptoms, but including blood tests for those under 40 and perhaps between 40 and 45 which might indicate early/premature menopause.

In your case - there is no way of knowing whether you are becoming peri-menopausal because you are on the combi pill. You also need to rule out other causes for your symptoms and I presume the doc is doing that?

The thing is even if you were possibly beginning a premature menopause, the fact that you re taking the combi pill means you are replacing the oestrogen your body needs.

I don't know what to suggest - as the only way to find out would be to stop the combi pill and allow your body to return to normal and see what cycles etc you get, and eventually ask for blood tests if you continue to have symptoms and a regular cycle does not reappear?

Hurdity x

Zoe

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 09:49:57 AM »

Just a comment really...not sure if helps, but I found in late reproductive/early peri that my breasts were sore across the front when oestrogen was high and sore at the side of the breast & under arms when progesterone was high.

Nothing sinister was going on, I was just more aware of these fluctuations/spikes.

Lauz7

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 06:35:24 AM »

Hello and thanks Hurdity and Zoe!
Yes- so I take Yasmin, the combined pill and so indeed wouldn’t have thought any peri symptoms would really show. I have a review with the doctor next week to discuss a bit more.
I have had intermittent breast pain since May, which as you might imagine has caused quite a bit of anxiety, but then according to one gp, I am just very anxious. 🙄(well I am because it’s my body and my life and I am worried about the pains!) I was however, referred to the breast clinic and had an ultrasound scan. All was fine. I was seen again there a month ago for a physical check and they were still happy, I also had full bloods privately about 8 weeks ago or so and no markers of concern whatsoever. So it’s all really good but all really odd. I dunno, sounds strange but maybe at 35 onwards things really do start to change? (different for everyone obviously). The armpit and arm ache was awful for two weeks or so, then it totally went. I just kept wondering why it might be. Hadn’t pulled anything, never hurt there before etc. It is tiring and anxiety inducing. The issue is, getting a doctor to understand and investigate rather than more or less dismissing it as ‘in your head’. Hey ho

Zoe

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 09:40:58 AM »

It is definitely not all in your head! And 'being anxious' can sometimes be a doctor's way of explaining what they can't understand.

Despite being on Yasmin it does seem like something might be changing in your body. I find it interesting that the armpit/arm ache pain lasted for 2 weeks. It was that way for me during the 2 weeks when progesterone was higher in my body. Could be that there is a bit of an imbalance going on even though you are on Yasmin. Our own cycle can be quite powerful.

As Hurdity says, the only way to really know what is happening is to come off the pill but that would be quite a big decision if you still need contraception.

Hope you find some answers.

Lauz7

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 04:50:50 PM »

Ah thank you Zoe…
And I think that’s the best way forward also.
Definitely huge decision due to needing contraception, but I will discuss more next week with the gp and go from there
It was reassuring when I had the bloods taken a couple of months or so ago (when I was experiencing sensations in the breasts and chest area in the first place) that a lot of things were explored and nothing was unusual. They said if anything sinister was going on there would be some sort of markers shown up. So that is good.  I guess I just find it hard not knowing what it actually all is and how I can deal with it! And it’s all so random, I feel like I am going mad