Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Can COVID interact negatively with HRT?  (Read 1051 times)

luna66

Can COVID interact negatively with HRT?
« on: March 18, 2022, 03:56:34 PM »

Hi All

Hope you're keeping well in these times.

I use HRT for osteoporosis and am on a combination of Estrogel (3 pumps daily) plus the Mirena coil. It's a balance that works for me.

However, I'm currently on Day 10 of a COVID infection and in the last three days I've been having bleeding (I don't usually) and noticed that my skin hasn't been absorbing the Estrogel. When I pump it onto my skin it turns watery and slips off. It isn't a new pump pack--just the one I've been using for the last couple of weeks with no problems--so I'm wondering if COVID is somehow preventing absorption.

Has anyone had any similar experience or heard of anything like this? Slightly concerned as I can't alter my progesterone dose myself at the moment to balance things out.

Advice gratefully received,

luna66

Mrs Harrington

• First Flush
Re: Can COVID interact negatively with HRT?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 05:47:39 PM »

I realise this is an old post but I’m very curious about this? I am on continuous HRT as I am 59 and post meno. No problems. Then out if blue some spotting and cramping directly after a nasty Covid infection. I’ve been referred for an urgent scan bit I really wonder if covid would disrupt my HRT and cause the bleeding.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 06:15:45 PM »

I realise this is an old post but I’m very curious about this? I am on continuous HRT as I am 59 and post meno. No problems. Then out if blue some spotting and cramping directly after a nasty Covid infection. I’ve been referred for an urgent scan bit I really wonder if covid would disrupt my HRT and cause the bleeding.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Hello Mrs Harrington. Welcome to the forum. Covid totally messed up my HRT and a lot of the horrid menopause symptoms came back for me. From reading threads on here I saw other members describing what happened to you. There are quite a few threads on it.

discogirl

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 07:15:03 PM »

Hi All

Hope you're keeping well in these times.

I use HRT for osteoporosis and am on a combination of Estrogel (3 pumps daily) plus the Mirena coil. It's a balance that works for me.

However, I'm currently on Day 10 of a COVID infection and in the last three days I've been having bleeding (I don't usually) and noticed that my skin hasn't been absorbing the Estrogel. When I pump it onto my skin it turns watery and slips off. It isn't a new pump pack--just the one I've been using for the last couple of weeks with no problems--so I'm wondering if COVID is somehow preventing absorption.

Has anyone had any similar experience or heard of anything like this? Slightly concerned as I can't alter my progesterone dose myself at the moment to balance things out.

Advice gratefully received,

luna66
[/quoth

hi luna66

i found this online from the british medical journsl.

COVID-19 infection or vaccine can cause inflammation. Inflammation can change hormone levels or the lining of the uterus. The hormone changes could then result in temporary changes to your period.

so i presume therefore that it can cause breakthrough bleeding too xx

Mrs Harrington

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 07:56:15 PM »

Thank you so much for your replies.I have a scan booked in but I definitely feel covid has messed me up.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 07:59:40 PM »

Thank you so much for your replies.I have a scan booked in but I definitely feel covid has messed me up.

I suspect it has. I am sorry this has happened. I hope this passes soon and you go back to how you were before you had covid.

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 08:06:28 PM »

i echo flossieteacakes sentiment that it passes quickly for you.

take care xx