Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Taking hrt in early stages?  (Read 711 times)

Pip pip.

• First Flush
Taking hrt in early stages?
« on: December 07, 2022, 09:38:37 AM »

Hi..I've heard that it's beneficial to start taking hrt as early as possible.. I've been having symsuch as migraines that I've never had before,acne and very late or early periods.i am wondering if I should talk to my gp?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Taking hrt in early stages?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 10:22:09 AM »

Morning.  Some people manage without HRT.   Symptoms for others are over whelming so HRT can help.

MayB keeping a mood/food/symptom diary would be useful to chart progress, something to discuss with your GP.  Which symptom would you like to ease first?

How old are you?  My periods began to wax and wane in my late 30s.  The Change was expected and apart from acute nausea at times I managed.  I was advised to eat every 3 hours 24/7 to keep blood sugar levels even which helps, I stick to that routine as much as possible because it worked for me.

R the migraines cyclical?  Acne can also be problematic.  There are threads about almost every thing here  ::)

:welcomemm:

Pip pip.

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 10:43:30 AM »

Thank you so much...yeah I keep a diary and over the past year migraines usually appear around period time now..sometimes nausea too.ive started forgetting people's names sometimes which isn't normal...I can manage the symptoms now but I've heard about if you take hrt early it can help with altzeimer etc?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 11:33:26 AM »

Forgetting names, places, where I've left my glasses ........ within normal limits for many of us.  It's the drop in hormones.  Happens in pregnancy.  Apparently  ::)

MayB ask the Alzheimer's Society about HRT? 

There are specific migraine treatments which you could discuss with your GP.  The nausea can be debilitating.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 11:42:25 AM »

Hello Pip Pip. I believe taking HRT as soon as menopausal symptoms come can be so helpful. Like you, I have the terrible forgetfulness. I also wondered if I had dementia but it is menopause related. HRT can also help to protect our bones which is a bonus. With the late periods it could be perimenopause. Talking to your GP is a great idea.  :)

Pip pip.

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 02:10:26 PM »

Thank you all so much.i have talked to a brilliant docter and will be starting hrt soon.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 02:21:23 PM »

Thank you all so much.i have talked to a brilliant docter and will be starting hrt soon.

I am happy to hear you have a great doctor and you are getting the right support. :)