Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT confusion  (Read 861 times)

Dr. Heather Currie

• Administrator
HRT confusion
« on: December 22, 2022, 09:12:33 AM »

Much confusion continues to surround the understanding of use of HRT. Recent publicity around dose of estrogen has been fuelled by increasing use of very high, unlicensed doses which may not be necessary, may cause side effects and can be associated with risks. The statement from the British Menopause Society summarises the situation and recommendations.
BMS statement - HRT prescribing - Women's Health Concern
HRT continues to provide many benefits for many women, but it is not perfect, and is not desired nor required by everyone. When used, individualisation is key but keep it simple and keep it safe!
magazine issue 66
Wishing you all a happy, healthy festive season, and thanking you all for supporting menopause matters
Best wishes
Heather
Heather Currie MBE
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 05:53:27 PM by Emma »

Dr. Heather Currie

• Administrator
Re: HRT confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 09:14:46 AM »

Hoping that Emma can make the links active--I'm still a dinosaur on the technical side!
Heather

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 09:23:25 AM »

Hi thank you for the update.

Can you clarify what the BMS means by “higher” doses of oestrogen needing more progesterone?

Does it mean anything over the licensed dose…100 patch or 4 pumps of Oestrogel ?

I’m asking this as there have been a few ladies posting on here saying you need to double the progesterone dose if you’re on any dose of oestrogen above 50 patch or 2 pumps of Oestrogel. This has worried me as I use 4 pumps.

Thank you .

Dr. Heather Currie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 10:11:55 AM »

Anything above a medium dose is classed as high.
See https://www.womens-health-concern.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/27-WHC-FACTSHEET-HRT-Doses-NOV2022-A.pdf
There is a table at the end of this fact sheet. Medium dose of estrogen is 50mcg patch or 2 pumps of gel, for example. If you are taking higher than this, and are taking a standard dose of progestogen, but no irregular/abnormal bleeding, then just discuss with your healthcare professional at your next review. Please do report any abnormal bleeding.
The main concern is when higher than the licensed "high" doses of estrogen are taken, eg more than 100 patch or 4 pumps of gel.

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 10:17:54 AM »

Thank you Dr Currie for answering my query . I really appreciate your time in doing so.

Hope you have a peaceful Christmas .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »

Tnx Heather - a Peaceful Festive Season too you  :great:

Zoe

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 06:14:44 PM »

This is helpful, so thank you. Yes, HRT is not the answer to all things and close monitoring is important.

Have a wonderful Christmas, Heather!