Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vagifem pros and cons  (Read 6217 times)

suey43

Vagifem pros and cons
« on: December 21, 2022, 12:53:00 PM »

Hello, trying to find a good treatment for Vaginal atrophy. Have tried Imvaggis but found the large amount of discharge from the pessary irritated me. Want to ask GP if I can try Vagifem tablets instead. Has anyone got any tips or advice about it? The good and bad would be so helpful. The fact that it looks like  a small tablet appeals as hope there's no or little discharge produced? Thank you! :)

Joaniepat

Re: Vagifem pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 01:02:33 PM »

I find Vagifem is great, as long as you are on a high enough dose, and this will depend on the individual. After the two week loading dose you are expected to decrease to two a week, but I have never found this enough and use five. I prefer Vagifem and separate moisturiser or emollient to all other methods. If necessary you can also add Ovestin just on the labia.
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 01:33:43 PM »

It can be messy until the vagina settles. 

My symptoms were intermittent urine infection-type symptoms: antibiotics did ease treatment but a urine sample, eventually sent to a Lab., grew nowt.  My GP advised VA treatment and ovestin has been successful.  When I feel the need2P I take 2 Nurofen 3 times a day to ease the nip.

Some require nightly treatment, regardless; as well as 'yes' or 'sylc' or other soothing balms on the outer labia area.  I find KY jelly adequate.

Once the vagina settles with a regime, stick to it ;-).  Let us know how you get on and don't be fobbed off by medics saying that we can't use  VA treatment more than twice a week!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 02:35:09 PM »

Great idea to try Vagifem. While you are there ask for Ovestin so if the Vagifem does not suit you then you can switch to the Ovestin which is a cream. It helps to use both together too.

Ayesha

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 02:43:32 PM »

Personally I don't find there is anything bad about Vagifem, although some have experienced side effects with it, but that's rare I would say.
It's a very hard tablet which makes it slow to dissolve and certainly with no mess.

As mentioned by the other ladies, I also use Ovestin cream topically with moisturiser and from being a chronic sufferer of VA I can now safely say it is well under control with the regime I am following, which is treatment every day. 

Peanut31

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 06:26:52 PM »

Hi

Vagifem is working for me, and I haven’t seen any side effects. I am still on the daily dosage as not finished that yet. I use YES moisturising cream too.

Ovestin unfortunately didn’t work for me.

I’m just so glad my VA is now under control as it’s was really starting to effect my day to day life.

It was people on here that recommended this as I just couldn’t shift my urine infections.

Best wishes
Peanut31

Cara999

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 07:45:05 PM »

I use vagifem and estriol on the vulva. Vagifem works well for me, perhaps a little bit of chalky residue the following day but nothing much xxx

suey43

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 08:38:14 AM »

Thanks everyone, Vagifem does sound like the best solution. My GP just called me and had never heard of it, which really surprised me! They said it's not on the local formulary which seems strange as I read it's the most popular vaginal oestrogen. Hope they allow me to have it as the cream didn't work for me and neither did the big pessaries. Anyone had issues with not being allowed to have it?

Peanut31

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 08:45:33 AM »

Hi

If your GP has not heard of vagifem then they aren’t going to help you get better I’m afraid. Your suffering unnecessarily.

I’m with a private menopause clinic and got vagifem, but I also went to my GP and it’s now on prescription for me with no problems.

Best wishes & good luck.
Peanut31

Ayesha

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 09:15:25 AM »

Are you in the UK?  Vagifem is the first go to medication for VA in my area, London. You don't need to go private to access VA treatment, its easily available on the NHS and very well known!

suey43

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 11:00:46 AM »

Thanks for the advice. Yes I'm in central London and was very shocked they hadn't heard of it and that it wasn't on the local formulary list (Greenwich/Lewisham in SE London) as had read it was very popular. The same practice also first prescribed the oestrogen that's not designed for the vagina - thankfully I got help on this forum before using it as am already on HRT Patches and have had post-menopausal bleeding too. Feels sad that menopause treatment is still in the dark ages even in London, sigh!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 11:11:43 AM »

I would contact a few pharmacies in your area!  Find out who prescribes 'vagifem' without any queries.  Your GPs are  out of date!

Dark Ages about covers it.  You could refer your Practice Manager to this Forum ;-).  Reading the 'bladder issues' thread and others about VA would bring her/him up to date.

'ovestin' is the other go-to - internally and a small amount smeared on the outer labia regions as necessary.  Any VA treatment can where necessary, be used nightly.  The leaflets in the box are out of date!

Let us know how you get on.  'Imvaggis' is I believe quite a new product for VA.  This may on the part of your Practice have been pushed by the Reps ;-).  >:(

Joaniepat

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 11:15:15 AM »

Perhaps you could ask them to look on the formulary for 'estradiol 10mcg vaginal tablets'. Whilst I am astonished that the GP has not even heard of Vagifem, since the patent on Vagifem expired we can also get the same thing under the name Vagirux, or there is a generic version of the tablets. These are often prescribed rather than the branded Vagifem as they are cheaper. Then there is Gina, sold by Boots. Same as Vagifem but much more expensive than an NHS prescription. Superdrug online would probably sell you Vagifem, but I am not sure of the cost.
JP x
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 11:17:10 AM by Joaniepat »

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 11:22:37 AM »

Tnx Joaniepat  :great:

Ayesha

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2022, 09:26:45 AM »

suey43, I am not too far from you but I obviously struck lucky with my surgery, they know all about Vagifem. Perhaps it's all down to costs in the end but good luck on trying to get the treatment you want, keep us updated! X