Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan vs. Provera?  (Read 983 times)

Petra

Utrogestan vs. Provera?
« on: December 13, 2022, 07:50:22 PM »

Hello All. I'm 60 and have been off HRT for a few months following a hysteroscopy, but I'm headed back to my GP next week to get back on after a couple of months of night drenches (more than sweats!) and little sleep. I tried. I really tried...

Anyway, here in NZ, the health system has just decided to fund Utrogestan. Previously I was on Estradot patches (25 mcg, i.e. v low dose) and Provera for 2 weeks every three months. I'm wondering now about Utrogestan. Can any of you brilliant ladies give me a comparison or pros/cons for Utrogestan vs. Provera? Is one "better" than the other?

(BTW, I had no trouble with the Provera, but just wondering if there are any advantages to the Utrogestan.)

Many thanks, and happy holidays to you all.

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan vs. Provera?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 04:58:11 PM »

Hi Petra

I see your post got missed. You might have had an answer elsewhere  since then but I'll answer here anyway.

Great news re NZ! I know that has been an issue for some time....

The main difference is that Provera is a synthetic progestogen and utrogestan is "natural" ie bio-identical with the progesterone our bodies produce.

Also provera has been specifically designed to be taken to protect the uterus so is very efficient at doing this.

Having said that, if you are on a very low dose of oestrogen you will get sufficient protection from utrogestan - it's just with high doses of oestrogen it may not be sufficient at the licensed (UK) dose.

Utrogestan also has the advantage of being versatile so can be taken vaginally ( off licence here in UK) instead of orally, for women who get adverse side effects from the metabolic breakdown products after oral intake.

Hope this helps.

Hurdity x

Petra

Re: Utrogestan vs. Provera?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 09:39:14 PM »

Many thanks Hurdity! I picked up my new script for utrogestan today, so will see how it goes. Fingers crossed. :-)