Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: really struggling  (Read 1084 times)

PoppyPopcorn

really struggling
« on: December 16, 2022, 03:03:31 PM »

Started HRT a year ago, first on patches which were OK for a bit until I was increased to 75 mcgs daily. First prescribed Estradot which was great, then given Evorel which bring me out in a huge rash. Last week switched to gel.

I am on 3 pumps a day of the gel which is supposed to be the same as the 75 mch patch. I feel on edge, nauseous and have two hot flushes today after not having had any for months. I have pain in one side/armpit which I have seen the GP about and he says is muscular, but can feel myself catastrophising and have spent the day googling for cancer symptoms. I have no energy or enthusiasm for anything.

Don't know if I'm on too much gel. Too little gel. My GP is not great with menopause and I feel I am losing my mind.

Flossieteacake

Re: really struggling
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 03:17:09 PM »

Hello Poppy. I really am sorry to hear you are feeling low. I notice when we change our HRT type it can lead to different symptoms. As you have had 3 changes that will be a lot for you to get used to. It is so frustrating the Estradot was switched. Is this due to a shortage? I get a lot of under arm pain. It is likely breast pain due to hormonal changes. Please do not goggle any more as googling everything always seems to point to something very serious. Have you tried taking a painkiller to help? I have had breast pain all day and just took some paracetamol to help.

You are not alone and we are here to support you.

PoppyPopcorn

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 03:30:21 PM »

You're too kind.

Yes the Estradot was switched out for Evorel as the Estradot is in such short supply. It suited me very well. I'm only a few days into the gel and hope things will settle. Back to the Headspace app...

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 03:35:26 PM »

You're too kind.

Yes the Estradot was switched out for Evorel as the Estradot is in such short supply. It suited me very well. I'm only a few days into the gel and hope things will settle. Back to the Headspace app...

There are also Estraderm patches.  if that would be an option. It is still early with the gel and hopefully things will settle for you soon. I hope the app helps in the meantime.

DottyD68

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 03:52:17 PM »

Hi PoppyPopcorn,

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling so good. I can really relate to you catastrophising. It is horrible - once you gain reassurance that something isn't terminal something else pops up and on it goes. It feels relentless.

Many of my symptoms settled on sequi gel and utrogestan, not perfect but better and manageable. My GP changed my regime to conti after a year whilst I was recovering from Covid and I fell off a cliff so I was put back on sequi gel & utrogestan in September. I am gradually settling again but many of my previously managed symptoms like occasional palpatations have reappeared and this really stresses me out. Getting a reassuring GP appointment is virtually impossible which makes me more anxious and I then start googling. In my mind I am pretty sure it is all related to hormones as they come and go at different times in the month but that doesn't really help when you are "in that moment".

I use the Headspace app to clear my head and calm me down. I also exercise every day which I find a big help and my little mantra "it will pass" is never far away.

I hope you feel more settled soon. Take care x
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 03:54:28 PM by DottyD68 »

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 07:02:20 PM »

I’ve just looked at the BMS website and it says there aren’t any shortages of Estradot in the UK!  But they are working with the government, sorry can’t remember the abbreviation, to ensure that all supplies are issued between private and nhs customers.

There’s quite a few ladies who have reported they can’t get estradot so it’s all obviously an issue.

Could you get in touch with manufacturers to see if they can tell how to obtain Esradot and go back to your original dose?

PoppyPopcorn

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 10:12:48 PM »

There are definitely shortages of Estradot, I spent most of the afternoon one day phoning round chemists all over Glasgow before finding one box. But one box is 8 patches and 4 weeks.

I like the idea of the gel, it's not making me itch, it doesn't leave sticky residue all over my skin. GP has said start on 3 pumps and increase to 5 if I need it - but how do I know when/if I need it??? I am 50, and haven't had a period for 6 years as I had a hysterectomy because of fibroids. I've probably been in peri menopause for 4 years, Christmas 2018 was my first visit to the GP with "depression" when I couldn't stop crying, then again in February 2020, and then about 6 UTIs through the pandemic before the penny dropped.

My GP is happy to prescribe what I want prescribed, but it's up to me to be the driving force and do all the research. There is nobody at my surgery with a specific interest in menopause or women's health. The internet has been a godsend for information.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 08:12:11 AM »

You sound similar to me as I’ve had a hysterectomy too so you don’t really know where you are in the menopause.

It’s good to know that your GP is supportive too. Have you thought about asking for a blood test, it might help to find out if you are absorbing the gel.

Pippa52

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 04:36:19 PM »

So sorry to hear you are suffering.  There was a suggestion of getting a blood test to see what your level or oestrogen are which might be a good starting point.  I was on the gel but unfortunately did not absorb it and my oestrogen blood levels were crazily low (53 and should be between 170 and 250 apparently) so I was switched to Estradot about a week ago.  Am starting slowly but surely to feel much better. Like you Evorel patches did not work for me.  I have had no problem getting the Estradot (so far).  If you were able to buy them try The Independent Chemist online who are brilliant.  You would need your Doctor's agreement as I think they need to see a picture of a box with the dispenser's label on though.  Fully understand if you want to persist with the gel and I hope you find what works for you and start to feel better very soon. xx

PoppyPopcorn

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 09:32:10 AM »

Thanks Pippa. I was actually googling costs for buying Estradot online last night as it really did suit me the best. I am having a blood test next week for thyroid function (I take thyroxine too) so may ask the phlebotomist to add in a test for oestrogen levels.