Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan increase  (Read 1184 times)

lizzog

Utrogestan increase
« on: December 19, 2022, 09:45:08 PM »

Supposedly post menopausal according to bloods done last year. Mirena removed end of last year which triggered a bleed. Had another bleed at the start of this year so two week pathway for ultrasound which showed nothing. Another bleed and another scan in the early summer again nothing found. Just had another bleed which was a period complete with stomach ache and sore boobs. Another scan tomorrow. GP advised increase Utrogestan to 200mg until next appointment with her in early January and she’ll review my hrt with scan results. I also take 2 pumps of gel a day.
Worried about taking too much Utrogestan- is that ok??

sheila99

Re: Utrogestan increase
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 10:54:35 PM »

A double dose of utrogeston can be used to control bleeding though usually a mirena is more effective. If it felt like period perhaps it was - and if you're still peri you would be better either on a sequi regime or with a mirena, it's unlikely anything else will stop you bleeding.

lizzog

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 07:42:47 AM »

I’m 56 and reluctant to have another mirena after having two.
I’ll see how the doubling up goes

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 11:06:43 AM »

Just be aware that some women aren't meno til their early 60s despite some medics telling you everyone is meno by 54 (I was told I couldn't possibly be peri at 57 when I went for hrt - hello, it's my body, I think I'd have noticed). If you've had a mirena perhaps you don't know what your cycles are doing?

lizzog

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 11:31:20 AM »

Indeed! No one knows better thank you- it’s your body! Had years of this sadly with the medical profession 🤦‍♀️

Stella2

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 06:46:44 AM »

Hi Lizzog,

I also had a bleeding, being on continuous Estradot patch 50 - equivalent to 2 pumps (1 was on 75 what probably caused bleeding) and the gynaecologist suggested to take 200 mg Utrogestan instead of 100 for a month at least. She said that she would recommend to carry on taking it as it can't harm but it can keep the lining nicely thin. I would also be interested to hear if anyone has a different opinion.

lizzog

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 06:59:55 AM »

Thanks. Had my scan yesterday and as I suspected all good but definitely not post meno.
Started on 200mg of Utrogestan with two pumps of gel regime to see how that goes.
The bleeding is sporadic and no pattern with months between which is a real pain 🤦‍♀️

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 04:23:13 PM »

As you're still peri you might be better on a sequi regime. You should have a predictable bleed and it should do a better job at keeping the lining thin than conti. Or try a mirena if you want to be bleed free.