Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan - what counts as food?  (Read 1101 times)

flossie fiddler

Utrogestan - what counts as food?
« on: December 13, 2022, 07:21:40 PM »

Just starting on Utrogestan 100mg orally tonight and it says take on empty stomach or 2 hours after food.

I usually have a warm milk at bedtime. Would this mess things up? Does anyone know why it needs to be taken on an empty stomach? Thanks

Petra

Re: Utrogestan - what counts as food?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 07:41:59 PM »

I just looked at the consumer info leaflet for Utrogestan here in NZ and all it says is: "Do not take Utrogestan 100mg soft capsules with food as this may affect the way Utrogestan works." Not wildly helpful, but I assume that means the effect may be blunted/reduced if taken with food. (It says to take with a small amount of water.)

p.s. just saw this thread on mumsnet, too: https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/menopause/4394362-Taking-Utrogestan-with-food
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 07:43:38 PM by Petra »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 08:06:31 PM »

Food may upset the absorption rate.  So 2 hours will enable the stomach to have processed most of what is eaten.  Milk counts as a food.

flossie fiddler

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 08:17:49 PM »

Thanks all

Katherine

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 11:43:31 PM »

I think it’s because if you have food it increases the absorption of the utrogestan. I’ve done it myself and can confirm it’s true! Yep milk is food unfortunately. I try and have a decent sized meal around 7 utro at 9 and he’d at 10, it was a pain at first but I got used to it.

Clarella

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 06:32:43 AM »

I also believe that with food increases absorption which for some women can be too much (though good for endometrial protection.) I’ve just asked a question on this.

I took it vaginally x2 12 days per month when I first started hrt, on much less oestrogen than now. I seem to be tolerating it more now orally.

A colleague takes with food as she likes to snack but is on 3 pumps of gel. She’s just ignoring the guidelines but seems to help sleep a lot.

VanillaLover

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 09:03:31 AM »

Hi, I don’t find myself that drinks, even milk affect it. So I do have milk before bed and it’s OK. I don’t eat after 9pm though. If really desperate maybe a yoghurt or apple or something but I’ve taken it too close to eating once before and made me dizzy. So - cautious. But I guess no eating after 9pm is a good thing really!

flossie fiddler

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 02:10:03 PM »

Thanks for that. I’ll see how it goes. I try not to eat late anyway. I try to give my body at least a 12 hour overnight break from food as it’s supposed to help with cell repair.

If I find I’m OK, I might push the boundaries with a milky drink at bedtime and see what happens.

Hi, I don’t find myself that drinks, even milk affect it. So I do have milk before bed and it’s OK. I don’t eat after 9pm though. If really desperate maybe a yoghurt or apple or something but I’ve taken it too close to eating once before and made me dizzy. So - cautious. But I guess no eating after 9pm is a good thing really!

Suziemc

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 07:43:16 PM »

I take my Utrogestan at about 8.30 every evening as I found that, for me, it stopped me from getting to sleep. As i eat around 6pm of an evening the timing means its long enough after food but early enough not to keep me awake. You can eat again 1 hour after taking, so maybe you could time yours for 1hr before bedtime and then still have your hot milk as you go to bed?

flossie fiddler

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 11:49:34 PM »

Good plan! I’ll try that, thanks.

I take my Utrogestan at about 8.30 every evening as I found that, for me, it stopped me from getting to sleep. As i eat around 6pm of an evening the timing means its long enough after food but early enough not to keep me awake. You can eat again 1 hour after taking, so maybe you could time yours for 1hr before bedtime and then still have your hot milk as you go to bed?