Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When to have break from Utrogestan  (Read 2490 times)

Clarella

Re: When to have break from Utrogestan
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2022, 09:39:54 AM »

It feels such a minefield as in another forum I’ve just seen someone who I recognise as having a lot of experience and under a good consultant insist continuous is only for post menopause.

But my own Gp said ‘usually after a year we try continuous.’ At that point, last June, periods were v light and I was on 75; we raised it to 100 at that appt due to symptoms and blood tests.

It was fine at first (vaginally) but then I spotted for several weeks and made the decision to go back to cyclical. In retrospect I feel that was too hasty as it’s likely that this will happen?

This last cycle I felt so unwell *off* the utro and had such a heavy period (I think as the date pattern has me starting it during my last bleed so I’ve had a good two weeks with no utro) that I’ve just gone back to daily. And this time orally which definitely helps me feel much better in myself this time (couldn’t cope in past.)

I’ve noticed that within 3 days my feet don’t ache first thing in the morning.

I suppose I’ll have to trial this for a good 3 months. I’ve an appointment in a month; first I could get.

Clarella

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2022, 09:44:23 AM »

Just thought I’d do some googling and found this - latest ref is 2018 but no idea when it was otherwise written.

Seems to say continuous is fine but may be erratic bleeding.

https://d2931px9t312xa.cloudfront.net/menopausedoctor/files/information/363/Safe%20HRT%20prescribing.pdf

Katherine

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2022, 10:46:13 PM »

Hi, sorry I’ve been really busy but I’m back. I went on continuous utrogestan as my gp said it is fine even though I have regular periods still, because it helps so much with sleep. So she suggested it with better sleep as the reason. I just recently had my first 3 day break on days 2-4 of my period and was fine I still slept fine but I know from experience if I have a break of say a week I will need it for sleep. It seems to stay in my system a while. Since taking utrogestan and estrogel my periods are pretty much the same as they were before and I’ve never had spotting.

Vive

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2022, 12:12:37 AM »

Hi, sorry I’ve been really busy but I’m back. I went on continuous utrogestan as my gp said it is fine even though I have regular periods still, because it helps so much with sleep. So she suggested it with better sleep as the reason. I just recently had my first 3 day break on days 2-4 of my period and was fine I still slept fine but I know from experience if I have a break of say a week I will need it for sleep. It seems to stay in my system a while. Since taking utrogestan and estrogel my periods are pretty much the same as they were before and I’ve never had spotting.

Thanks very much for the reply Katherine. Glad it’s working for you like this, and that there are still options to try, ones that maybe we hadn’t thought out before, for anyone still struggling.

Clarella

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2022, 10:33:45 AM »

Thank you for sharing your experiences Katherine and I hope  it continues to go well. And I hope you get somewhere with the Gp vive.

How much oestrogen are you on Katherine? I’m a bit worried that this will be enough given I’m on 100 patches and also peri.

Katherine

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2022, 11:36:14 AM »

Hi Clarella, I’m on 2 pumps of oestrogel but recently I have upped it to 3 pumps for a few days before my period when I am really low on energy. I am actually wondering whether I would benefit from 3 pumps all the time as my ‘good window’ each month when I have enough energy, feel positive and can be happy seems to be getting smaller. I now start to feel really tired a week before my period and it lasts until a few days after my period whereas before I would start to feel better once my period started. But I was concerned by a comment by Dr Heather Currie on here recently where she said there was concern that the recommended dose of utrogestan may not be enough to protect the womb from higher doses (3-4) pumps. These are not her exact words but we’re my interpretation of her comment. However it does say 2-4 pumps on my prescription. I guess all we can do really is trust our gps as there is so much conflicting information. What do you think Clarella?

Katherine

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2022, 11:45:59 AM »

Hi Vive, I don’t see why you can’t take 100mg utrogestan 25/3 same as me as we are about the same age and peri. My gp said I could from the start and she is very well regarded. It might be worth telling your gp you want to try it and at least then it’s on your records. Also we are unlikely to have the same medical history so there might be another reason why you were recommended your current regime. I think it’s best to check although you could tell her what you’ve read on here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 11:48:55 AM by Katherine »

Clarella

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2022, 06:19:19 AM »

“But I was concerned by a comment by Dr Heather Currie on here recently where she said there was concern that the recommended dose of utrogestan may not be enough to protect the womb from higher doses (3-4) pumps. These are not her exact words but we’re my interpretation of her comment. However it does say 2-4 pumps on my prescription. I guess all we can do really is trust our gps as there is so much conflicting information. What do you think Clarella?”

I hadn’t seen the comment here but a Gp friend did dr curry’s  training and said “x2 utro continuous for the higher doses” - but I’m not sure what is higher. Eg Davina is on 100 patches and one pump but just one utro. Done women are on much higher but maybe mirena?

I’ve considered writing to dr curry (the £30 service.)

I’m not sure I’m on enough oestrogen yet though as I feel some symptoms may be back. Or I need testosterone

Katherine

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2022, 11:48:58 PM »

It said 3-4 pumps is a higher dose

Clarella

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2022, 06:13:52 AM »

Ok thanks. I will have to see how this month goes and discuss with Gp.
Pages: 1 [2]