Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Could it be VA?  (Read 780 times)

Mousie

Could it be VA?
« on: January 08, 2023, 02:57:00 PM »

Hello ladies! I'm new here.  :) Just been diagnosed with bladder prolapse (62. No kids) after having that feeling that a tampon is falling out for 2 wks or more. However I also think I have VA;
In summer my smear test was so painful she had to use the smallest speculum and still it hurt. I was so apologetic. Thought it was odd but then forgot about it. For the last few months I have been leaking urine (stress incontinence but also dribbling when unaware). I never put the two things down as an issue...just thought the leakage was old age. Then I got the tampon feeling and felt a bulge. During the internal again the speculum was so so painful! Dr said no inflammation yet thought the pain odd but said let's refer you to a urogynaecologist for a full diagnostic.
However having read womens experiences on getting appointments with consultants on NHS I started doing some research and came across Vaginal Atrophy. I've learned its lack of estrogen and having examined down there for the first time in decades I'm shocked at the appearance! I have no daily internal pain thankfully but do have loss of plumpness, very little pubic hair (again thought that an age thing) and at times a slight cystitis feeling.
My Dr clearly hasn't a clue....so I'm going to make an appointment to see another one. Do you think I'm on the right track? I read it can cause bladder problems too due to the bladder walls getting thinner.
Any help or advice would be very welcome. I'm assuming I need estrogen long term?

Joaniepat

Re: Could it be VA?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 03:42:29 PM »

Hi and welcome!
One needs oestrogen for the overall health of the genitourinary tract, so I would be asking the GP for Vagifem or Ovestin. The leaking and tampon feeling need assessment by a women's health (pelvic floor) physiotherapist. You can try for this on the NHS, but private would be quicker. The loss of pubic hair and general plumpness is an age thing, all down to loss of hormones and collagen. Well done for the undercarriage inspection, all women should do this regularly (like breast examination) so that they are aware of any changes in the vulva. You need to know what your normal looks like.
Best wishes,
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 04:04:08 PM »

What a shame that the Nurse who attempted your smear wasn't clued up  >:(

:welcomemm:  Good advice from Joaniepat.    Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.   Let us know how you get on.  MayB ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic, not a gynaecologist.

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 04:36:30 PM »

No harm in starting treatment for VA whilst you wait for your prolapse bladder issue to be sorted, it can take a few months for the VA treatment to plump up the tissues so the sooner you start the better.

Vagifem and, or Ovestin plus moisturiser, Sylk or Yes, are the best treatments and it's for life.   

Mousie

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 05:26:48 PM »

Thank you for your replies, very helpful. I did look for a near by menopause clinic CLKD but couldn't find one anywhere near me (I'm in the Yorkshire Dales) tho will ask at the drs.

Joaniepat I've managed to get taken on by Anna Crowle (paying private) as I heard it can be a long wait PF physio.

Ayesha thank you for mentioning the moisturiser. I've just ordered some. Didn't realise that could be used as well as vagifem?
Oh and is it available on prescription?

Thanks again

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 06:08:28 PM »

Your surgery may have a Nurse Practitioner who has knowledge which include menopause issues.  Let us know how you get on.

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 06:35:48 PM »

Regarding the moisturisers, some surgeries will prescribe, but the products (eg, Replens) are not always suitable for all. Also, because these products are available otc, I think they might be reluctant. If they will prescribe Sylk and you get free prescriptions, it might be worth getting some. It is useful for dipping the Vagifem applicator into the bottle to aid insertion, and it will help the Vagifem adhere to the vaginal wall if you are dry inside 😊.
JP x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 08:18:09 PM »

U may get freebies from those Companies too if you make enquiries ;-)

Mousie

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 12:47:01 PM »

Thank you!
Let's see how I get on at the drs.

Mx