Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hrt yearly review  (Read 1617 times)

Suza

Hrt yearly review
« on: December 04, 2022, 05:02:42 PM »

Has anyone else had this experience with their GP. 2020 I was told, age 63 I had to come off my transdermal hrt as I was too old. I kicked and screamed but to no avail, and I was made to come off it. The year I was without it was terrible, hot flushes, anxiety, night sweats, and more, I just felt as if I'd aged 20 years. I contacted my GP many times asking to go back on it. Finally after joining this forum, and getting some great advice, I stood my ground and was referred to a menopause consultant in December 2021, she said I could go back on it, and sent a letter to my gp stating I could stay on it as long as I wanted. Fast forward to 3rd December 2022, my yearly review with the practice nurse. All ok, BP fine, weight ok, everything seemed to be hunky Dory, then she started talking about my having to come off hrt. I stopped her in her tracks and mentioned my referral and the letter. She didn't even bother reading it, and said she would have to speak to the GP and it would be up to her if they would prescribe my hrt patches. Has anyone else had this problem. I'll find out on Monday hopefully what the verdict is.
Thanks for listening to my rant

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hrt yearly review
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 05:28:26 PM »

Yep.

GPs seem not able to listen nor understand how important HRT is for women!  MayB ring the Clinic and explain that there is a potential conflict ......... they may send another letter to the GP or perhaps suggest a consultant with you.

This really isn't necessary, HRT can be for Life.  They wouldn't stop heart , thyroid or diabetic treatment  :-\

Suza

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 06:45:41 PM »

Thanks clkd
I thought the same as you that it was for life as long as the risks didn't outweigh the benefits, but it seems to not apply to my surgery.
Possibly a cash thing if I'm being cynical!
I agree they wouldn't withdraw other types of medication
I'll await the outcome tomorrow and take it from there

Marchlove

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 08:15:14 PM »

Keep fighting Suza, you’re in the right.

If they decline, ask for a written explanation of their reasoning behind the  decision based on nhs and BMS guidelines.

It’s truly outrageous and yes purely a cash thing!

Good luck xx

Suza

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 08:21:11 PM »

Thanks Marchlove
It's just such a shame that there has to be a fight and it's not given on symptoms.
Some women, myself being one of them just seem to have menopause symptoms forever

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 09:09:36 PM »

GPs have no idea ............

MayB ask for a referral to a menopause clinic: not a gynae: but a dedicated clinic.

KarineT

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 10:59:31 PM »

Why are they so reluctant to prescribe HRT? If they tell their patients that they are too old for this or that then I call it ageism.  It's wrong but do you think it's because the NHS wants to save money and, for that reason, would much rather prescribe HRT to the under 60s?

Suza

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 09:28:20 AM »

I've always said it seems to be a money issue nowadays.
An update on my hrt review is, after the decision was referred to the GP she has issued a prescription for 3 months supply of evorel 50 patches, which I was using before, but has removed them from my repeat prescriptions
So I'm ok till March, then see what happens

KarineT

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2022, 06:31:29 PM »

They are tight then.  Their shouldn't be an age selecton.  Everyone should be allowed to have HRT if they want it.  It should be like meds that someone needs for the rest of their lives. If HRT can be taken for as long as we want then their refusal to prescribe it or repeat a prescription for it can only be for financial reasons so they are selective based on age.  It's a disgrace!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 06:41:00 PM by KarineT »

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 10:41:24 PM »

I would start the battle now. Perhaps get the wheels in motion for another appointment at the meno clinic. It may be based on ignorance rather than money, the NICE guidelines used to say stop at 60 but now there is no age limit. I have a similar problem getting testosterone, my meno clinic will keep me 'on the books' and give me a phone appointment in a years time so the gp can say it's under their direction.