Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Re: Hysteroscopy & biopsy - help! Update  (Read 3584 times)

uncannylizard81

Re: Hysteroscopy & biopsy - help! Update
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2022, 09:19:40 PM »

Hi, I had Histroscopy last month, with local anaesthetic, the local was excruciatingly painful to have, followed by the rest of the procedure which was awful. They managed the biopsy, but I have polyps that need to be removed. I 100% won’t be having that procedure awake ever again.

Problem is, I know what’s coming 2nd time round, now way I’ll be able to “relax” on the bed!!

suzysunday

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2022, 12:51:26 PM »

Poor you,. Don't put yourself through it again, go for a general anaesthetic x

laszla

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2022, 03:12:03 PM »

Very sorry to hear that uncannylizard and am feeling increasingly grateful that my Doctor Y persuaded me to go for a general.

laszla

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2023, 06:16:42 PM »

An update in case anyone in future gets a hysteroscopy with general anaesthetic and wants some feedback:
I was pretty scared of the anaesthetic as I haven't had one in 40 years when I wasn't such a scaredy cat but I must say it was fine in most respects - zero pain afterwards and obviously during you're totally unconscious.

They discovered a couple of teeny polyps that they whacked out and although won't get biopsy results for a couple of weeks they said endometrium looked fine (bearing in mind I twice had a measurement of over 11mm).

But going on a slight tangent, waking up from the anaesthetic made me realise that I haven't slept properly in years. The total oblivion of being under was actually quite wonderful but the realisation of how shallow my sleep has become was quite depressing.
Also, as if to make up for the lost 30 minutes of consciousness, my mind went into ruminating anxious overdrive after just a couple of hours and I felet slightly hungover. But honestly for me it was the best option as it was a totally pain free experience.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2023, 06:29:49 PM »

I am so happy to hear it went well for you laszla. I hope the anxiety lessens. I think when feeling so anxious over something, the anxiety can remain even after the event.

It is horrid not to sleep well. I am sorry you struggle with getting a good sleep.

IceLolly

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2023, 07:40:19 PM »

Hi, thought I should probably add my experience in...I had a hysteroscopy yesterday with no anaesthetic (local or general). I had probably about 20 seconds of horrible cramping pain while the camera was going through the cervix but apart from that, it was incredibly quick and that pain was immediately gone as soon as the equipment went out. I'd taken co-codamol before so that made me really quite relaxed, which meant I could cope with it. If you can't have or are worried about a general anaesthetic, and have it the way I did, it's 20 seconds of pain x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2023, 07:45:04 PM »

Hi, thought I should probably add my experience in...I had a hysteroscopy yesterday with no anaesthetic (local or general). I had probably about 20 seconds of horrible cramping pain while the camera was going through the cervix but apart from that, it was incredibly quick and that pain was immediately gone as soon as the equipment went out. I'd taken co-codamol before so that made me really quite relaxed, which meant I could cope with it. If you can't have or are worried about a general anaesthetic, and have it the way I did, it's 20 seconds of pain x

Thank you for sharing this. I am very happy to know you are feeling okay and it went well.

laszla

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2023, 10:12:44 AM »

Thanks Flossie, the sleep difficulty is tough so I'm going to prioritize trying to improve it.

Glad you did ok icelolly, it's good to hear different feedback.
For me no anaesthetic would have been unthinkable but some women feel the same about general anaesthetic or even the injection of a local

Wrensong

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2023, 10:47:14 AM »

Great news laszla, I'm glad it's behind you.  Thanks for the update, it will be encouraging for others who may be wary of going for the procedure under GA.   I so sympathise over the poor sleep - it's the one really troublesome consequence of menopause I've really struggled to crack.  I hope you feel better soon.

Hi IceLolly, great to hear your hysteroscopy was straightforward.  Experiences vary so much, but yours will also be reassuring to anyone who feels they'd like to try that way.  I've had the procedure 3 times under 3 different conditions (general anaesthetic, local anaesthetic with light sedation & no anaesthetic or sedation).  I had no say in conditions for the latter & though over quickly, it was carried out when I was several years postmenopause, as a small (size 6 hips  :o), childless woman, with inadequately controlled GSM & would not recommend it to anyone in similar circs. 

As I posted earlier, the best of the 3 for me was with local anaesthetic & light sedation, though I was still pre-menopause at that time, with a robust access route!

Imo it would be great if all 3 options were always offered, with advice about what to expect from each & which might be best suited to individual circumstances, taking into consideration life stage, whether GSM or other relevant painful conditions are present & any personal concerns or preferences.
Wx

laszla

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2023, 12:59:32 PM »

Thanks Wrensong - I completely agree that all three options should be offered and fully explained - I found the "explaining" side of things very poor at my hospital.

Your small size reminds me that just before they put me under, the anaesthetist told me that if I had been 1 kilo less they would have given me a child's dose which would have been a bit alarming!

Wrensong

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2023, 02:40:19 PM »

Hi laszla - I've sent you a PM that would have taken this thread off topic.  Hope that's OK.
Wx
Pages: 1 2 [3]