Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vagifem break  (Read 1223 times)

Jules

Vagifem break
« on: December 13, 2022, 10:36:46 PM »

I started vagifem in September then had to stop because I had breast pain. I restarted after 2 weeks. I needed another prescription today, finally got one. It says on the prescription label that I need to break after 8 weeks. I've been using it longer than that. I thought it took longer than that to take maximum effect. im 65 and its mainly to stop the feeling of a uti. Any ideas?

Katejo

Re: Vagifem break
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 11:33:51 PM »

I started vagifem in September then had to stop because I had breast pain. I restarted after 2 weeks. I needed another prescription today, finally got one. It says on the prescription label that I need to break after 8 weeks. I've been using it longer than that. I thought it took longer than that to take maximum effect. im 65 and its mainly to stop the feeling of a uti. Any ideas?
  No you don't need a break. The symptoms will return if you stop. I am 59 and have been using them continuously for about 4 years. I didn't get full benefit until 2 to 3 months

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 07:59:31 AM »

Vagifem or other estrogen creams etc are for life.to replace the oestrogen you no longer produce. I've been taking them for nearly 8 years now and will always need them.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 09:15:39 AM »

Well I rarely read the leaflets in medication boxes  ::) - unless I get symptoms that last more than 10 days.

Dr Newson is trying to get companies to alter the leaflets, as they all 'read the same' for HRT including VA treatments.  Use.  Use. Use!  When I get the need2P feelings I take 2 nerofen 3 times a day to ease the nip.

Jules

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 09:38:16 AM »

No you don't need a break. The symptoms will return if you stop. I am 59 and have been using them continuously for about 4 years. I didn't get full benefit until 2 to 3 months

I've asked my GP again. She said they recommend a break after 8 weeks, still doesn't say why. It says similar on the vagifem website. It's concerning when you're getting advice from a doctor but don't know why.

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 09:55:58 AM »

It’s complete nonsense to stop treatment, you will undo all the good work Vagifem has been doing for you. The leaflet is out of date and I would definitely not stop my treatment because I know my vagina will start to degenerate again, to be blunt, waste away bringing back all those chronic symptoms I was experiencing.

Keep up with the treatment, your doctor is following procedure that is so obviously out of date!
I throw the leaflet in the bin when I get my new prescription, it's full of misinformation on the condition Vaginal Atrophy.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 11:25:53 AM »

Your GP is so out of date!  MayB ask her to read the very long 'bladder issues' and VA threads on here.

You could pay for a response by sending an e-mail to Dr Curry - print off the reply and hand over ;-).  How old might your GP B?  Perhaps e-mail the practice manager too.

Ayesha

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 01:13:36 PM »

While you wait for your doctor to see how wrong he/she is regarding treatment for VA you can buy it over the counter under the name Gina.
But you should not have to do this, you are entitled to be given a prescription for as much Vagifem as you need.

I use Vagifem every day without any nonsense instruction from my GP. 

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 05:09:47 PM »

Sorry not very good at copying documents but this is the NICE guidance for doctors regarding VA treatment.
Perhaps you could advise they read them.

1.4.12Explain to women with urogenital atrophy that:

symptoms often come back when treatment is stopped

adverse effects from vaginal oestrogen are very rare

they should report unscheduled vaginal bleeding to their GP.

1.4.13Advise women with vaginal dryness that moisturisers and lubricants can be used alone or in addition to vaginal oestrogen.

1.4.14Do not offer routine monitoring of endometrial thickness during treatment for urogenital atrophy.