Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Terrible heartburn on utrogestan / oestrogel  (Read 2399 times)

Hopeful2

Terrible heartburn on utrogestan / oestrogel
« on: December 04, 2022, 05:20:46 PM »

Hi ladies.

I'm looking for some advice again please.

I'm on month 3 of 1 pump oestrogel & utrogestan days 1-25, but last couple of days heartburn getting worse. Now constant tight band under boobs with indigestion. Could cope with indigestion but the tight band is frightening me. I have 8 days left of utrogestan to take before break. Can you take utrogestan days 1-25 vaginally or do you absorb it more this way would that be too much. Not keen on taking it this way because of atrophy but tightness in chest very uncomfortable. Thank you for very much your help & advice.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 07:38:51 AM by Hopeful2 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Terrible heartburn on utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 05:26:01 PM »

Remind me: R U using VA treatment? 

I get reflux; deep indigestion-type pain in the early hours which radiates into my chin and skull; as well as a sudden burp for no apparent reason!

MayB put 'utrogestan' into the search box 2 C what pops up?

Hopeful2

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 08:12:42 AM »

Thank you CLKD for your reply.

No I'm not using anything at the moment didn't get on with it. Was reading other posts about ladies getting irritation using it this way so maybe not a good idea. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 10:07:51 AM »

Morning. Do read the bladder issues thread and anything related to VA ;-)

Sorry that you haven't had a sensible reply  :-\

CrispyChick

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 02:40:34 PM »

I'm getting this with progesterone, whereby I wasn't getting it before. Very similar. Starts, like indigestion, but then everything inside starts to feel sore and tight.

Unfortunately, I think im no longer tolerating the Prog as I've unbalanced with my estrogen.

You're on a low dose of estrogen. Utrogestan is a large dose of prog. Try vag route - for me it was that route started the pain in my stomach, I assume as more was absorbing it was a bigger systemic dose of prog.

I won't be much help to you as I'm not taking estrogen, but I do believe balance is key. I decided to post as I'm getting the exact same problem - so wanted you to know it can be a thing from prog. What you do about it when your taking estrogen, I'm sorry, I don't know.

X

Hopeful2

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 08:49:35 PM »

Thank you for your replies CLKD  :)

Thank you for your reply CrispyChick. I guess we will have to try another if it doesn't settle down as it's very uncomfortable. Yes like you say terrible tightness soreness going through chest. It's great to be able to chat on here and know what we are experiencing is what other ladies are experiencing too even though I wish we weren't 🤗. 

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 10:05:46 PM »

Yes you can use it vaginally, it usually avoids digestive problems.

Hopeful2

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 04:51:04 AM »

Hi ladies.

Have had such a bad pain in chest going right through me could hardly breath 😢. Feel so fed up will get GP apt hopefully tomorrow and ask for alternative to utrogestan maybe cyclogest pessaries as I've had them before. My GP will probably tell me to stop HRT and take break before starting another one. Or maybe even say I can't take it at all. Do I have to take a break from oestrogel if I just change progesterone? Or should I try a patch. I've only had Elleste duet & Femoston tablets which made my head burn really bad even for weeks after stopoing it so definitely not tablet. So scared to try another HRT after head burning on tablets. Sitting here sobbing can't take this anymore.

Stella2

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 07:24:06 AM »

So sorry to hear you are suffering so much. Did you used to get heartburn before? I recently responded to a thread about heartburn, possibly you can search for it. Maybe your heartburn could be treated without you having to change your HRT. Possibly establish first if your stomach acid is too high or low and then adjust your diet or use antacids. I suffered badly and have been much better after adjusting my diet and doing exercises for diaphragm but the other day had an outbreak again because I had a coffee, coffee is definitely my trigger. Maybe speak to your GP?

CrispyChick

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 08:40:04 AM »

Hopeful2. I'm totally the same.

To cut a very long story short, I'm trying different progesterones through a BHRT clinic. I also just tried utrogestan, which actually set this stomach episode off for me. Now I cact seem to tolerate any prog whatsoever... And I too feel like you do. So utterly had enough.

Unfortunately, my stomach acid tablets are not helping. It's almost like it's not just in my stomach. I have now stopped my prog and my pain is easing - but I now feel really sick and awful.

I had a similar chest experience back in May 2021 - search for the thread. I think it comes up if u search indigestion. I was on the pill then and suspected it was prog causing it.

So. What regime are you on??? Can you stop utrogestan for a few days??? Then you'll know. Then yes, switch to cyclogest if you can. Try not to change too many things at one. You suspect it's the utro... Try that first.

As I said earlier, it was actually using the utro vaginally that brought this on for me. I believe its about overall dose and balance with estrogen rather than method of delivery. Right now I'm experiencing this with a friggin cream!!!!

You'll get through this. But I know that tight chest feeling. You need to stop it.

Xxx

Hopeful2

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 11:11:50 PM »

Hi ladies.

Thank you for your kind replies 💐.

I did get an apt with GP today he examined my stomach and felt it was stomach acid. He said he didn't know anything about HRT and would prefer to just give me omeprazole but I persuaded him to give me cyclogest. I tried 5 chemists it's out of stock. Last chemist said they could order it for tomorrow but they told me that before and then couldn't order it so will see tomorrow. So I'm going to take utrogestan again tonight and hope I don't get bad chest pain again. I bought omeprazole over the counter just in case should probably take it anyway as chest so sore but afraid to take anything now. Think I have oral thrush again too after antibiotics for uti last week which isn't helping so probably going to have to restart nystatin too. The list of crapiness goes on.

I hope we all get some sleep tonight xx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 12:39:04 AM »

Hopeful2 I am so sorry you are going through all this. I get thrush after taking antibiotics too.

I notice many of us get acid reflux. I take lanzaprazole every day for it. Omamprazole needs to be taken about 30 minutes before food. It is meant to prevent acid coming up when you eat. I hope it agrees with you. I know you are sensitive to medicine.

I hope the thrush goes soon. Nystan tastes awful.

Hopeful2

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2022, 11:18:51 PM »

Thank you for your reply Flossieteacake.

I got the cyclogest from the chemist, but panicking about changing from the utrogestan over the Christmas. I am on 3 day break from utrogestan but still getting heartburn and wonder if I should stick it for another month. Finding the anxiety over all this exhausting.

Hopeful2

Re: Terrible heartburn on utrogestan / oestrogel
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2022, 07:47:58 AM »

Good morning ladies.

Hope you are all managing to keep warm. Though on the lighter side the hot flushes help with that 😊

Last night was my 2nd night without utrogestan but still had heartburn, nausea could it be the oestrogel causing it? Thank you for your help.

discogirl

Re: Terrible heartburn on utrogestan / oestrogel
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2022, 08:16:29 AM »

Hi Hopeful2,

I've just found this on A. Vogels menopause site:

Studies have shown that menopausal women are three times as likely to suffer from Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).1

Falling oestrogen in menopause can affect the production of acid in the stomach, and when this happens you can start to get a lot of indigestion, wind, and feeling of fullness, as well as a lot of the discomfort and pain.

Stress can also affect stomach digestion, too. The problem with this is that it's not being picked up as a specific menopause symptom. And a lot of women are going to the doctor, and they are being prescribed antacids or what's called PPIs.

Seems the same falls true for nausea that falling estrogen can be a factor.

Hope this helps somewhat xx
Pages: [1] 2