Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anxiety & Panick - HRT or AD’s?  (Read 1075 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Anxiety & Panick - HRT or AD’s?
« on: December 04, 2022, 09:15:10 AM »

I know I’ve been chopping and changing my method of oestrogen recently, which has resulted in all sorts of anxiety and surges etc.

Just wondered if anyone has had any success with Antidepressants alone? Sometimes I think the delivery of the oestrogen causes as many problems as it solves.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety & Panick - HRT or AD’s?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 09:19:18 AM »

I have required ADs since the 1980s.  Plus betablockas to ease anxiety surges.  The ADs have required changing occasionally due to the brain becoming used to them; I stopped BBs in March 2020, knowing that I have an emergency anti-anxiety pill to swallow B4 panic floors me.

I also used 'valium' with success through the 1990s.  5mg B4 an event that I couldn't get out of, knowing that I had 5mg to take the next day which I never required. It made me sleep mid-afternoon, much to MinL's annoyance!

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 09:49:35 AM »

Hello MIS71MUM

I was prescribed the AD Venlafaxine, also known as Effexor at the same time that I began HRT in  2013. I have reported before that it did seem to reduce night sweats but any other benefits were likely overshadowed by the HRT. I wish now that I had tried these treatments separately.  I have continued with the AD ever since but I have also fiddled with my HRT a lot.

I also wonder if Oestrogen therapy is the answer to everything, could it be that we are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut and we actually require something more gentle and nuanced?  My friend who has Tinnitus was telling me about someone who was using a cream that is mainly progesterone. It is called 'Twenty to One' and some ladies on this forum were discussing it in the summer. I have always dismissed these products in the past but perhaps they are worth considering?

My latest experiment is using half a Sandrena 1mg sachet of gel every morning and a 100mcg dose of Cyclogest pessary every other night. The hint of VA that appeared with the quarter dose has resolved but my mood changes are still a feature unfortunately.

Hopefully other ladies will be along to offer their opinions and experience.

Take care.

K.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 11:26:13 AM »

When I look at my latest blood tests, 299 pmol and 0.92 nmol, I do wonder if adding to much oestrogen may cause me problems!!!
The oestrogen blood test was taken before application of gel and I don’t take progesterone anyway.

Like you say Kathleen, is oestrogel too harsh for some of us. Might investigate the cream you mention.

CLKD - I might investigate bb’s to help with the bodily sensations.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 12:50:46 PM »

Could your oestrogen levels have evened out enough that you no longer require HRT? 

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 04:49:55 PM »

That’s just the thing, when I reduce my oestrogen to 2 pumps am and pm, I end up weepy!  So then I increase the gel, which mat then throw the progesterone out of balance!!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 05:26:37 PM »

Is the anxiety constant or certain times of day? 

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 06:02:47 PM »

It seems to be at certain times of day. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but it seems to be when the gel wears off!!

Mary G

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 06:41:29 PM »

MIS71, are you saying that your oestrogen blood levels are 299 pmol on 6 pumps on gel?   If so, that is a very low reading for that dose of gel and to give you an example, mine are 282 pmol on what I would call 1 generous pump.

You mentioned another figure of 0.92 nmol, is that your progesterone level?   If so, that is also very low.

Obviously everyone absorbs products at different rates but I wonder if your levels are too low?

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 06:56:35 PM »

Thanks for your reply Mary G. Really? You get levels of about 282 from 1 pump?

My bloods were taken when I was using 5 pumps of gel. I had them repeated just to double check - I had 299 & 336!

I saw on another thread that you mentioned a progesterone cream. This is something I may consider if I can get my oestrogen levels up.

It is very interesting to see how we all store/ hold the gel in our bodies differently.

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 07:28:18 PM »

MIS71, yes, I have been getting a reading of between 250 and 300 pmol on one pump of gel for several years now.   My baseline oestrogen reading is about 100 pmol - I have stopped HRT a few times over the years to find out where I'm at but I'm not going to do it again. 

By the way, I'm 61 and about 15 years post menopause.

You are right, I was using compounded progesterone @ 50mg every day but I have recently switched to progesterone gel at the same dose which has been successful.   I know most doctors think that progesterone is not necessary for women who have had a hysterectomy but I wonder if a small dose could be beneficial for some women.   

Unless you are severely progesterone intolerant, I think you could benefit from a low dose of progesterone because it's a calming hormone that helps with hormone balance, mood and sleep.  The reason so many women have problems with the progesterone component of HRT is because the dose is too high (100 mg) but at a much lower dose, I personally find it beneficial but it's not a choice for me because I still have a womb.