Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Health anxiety  (Read 1027 times)

Weeloz

Health anxiety
« on: November 30, 2022, 05:05:26 PM »

I have gone back on hrt after a 3month break due to bleeding . I have changed to a different kind but now I have restarted it again my health anxiety is through the roof . I keep thinking  about it may cause womb cancer,breast cancer ovarian cancer and it is driving me nuts so only been back in it a week but i am Thinking  off stopping it did to my anxiety over the things it can cause

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Health anxiety
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 05:41:53 PM »

Something is going to take us off the Planet.  However, most HRT regimes are safe as long as we keep an eye on unexpected bleeding, in which case a scan of the womb is advised.  Some regimes do cause a bleed initially. 

All drugs have side effects and risks.  How about turning this on it's head and think "Quality of Life"?  Not easy once the brain starts whirring, did U get a scan whilst off the other HRT?

Weeloz

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 07:26:23 PM »

I know what you mean but like you say it's hard to get it out of your head . I did get it checked and all was.fine . Are you in hrt if so which one are you on ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 08:34:19 PM »

Other than 'ovestin' for VA I've not required anything.  Yet.  However, I have lived with a phobia often 24/7 for years  :'(  :-\ when my nausea starts then I'm floored.

Weeloz

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 08:51:04 PM »

I am on Ovesten and vagirux too, I am doing ok on that now but my anxiety is back with being back in the patches 😥

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 09:19:23 PM »

I really sympathise.   I had post Meno bleeding on hrt a few years ago and it really frightened me.  I had hysteroscopy and came off the hrt. I was okay regarding the bleeding which stopped when I stopped the hrt.  I'm just on ovestin now for VA.   I would like to try some more hrt but like you my anxiety went through the roof.  It's difficult to advise.   If the hrt improves your life then it's worth it, but the anxiety can be hard to live with.  Try and give yourself some time on it if it is improving any symptoms.   It was the bleeding and hysterectomy that scared me, but I would love to try something else.  I can't do without the ovestin and I worried about that at first.

AnnaA22

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 09:39:54 PM »

I’m exactly the same. You're definitely not alone. Every time something happens I imagine the worst.  Has anyone found CBT or hypnotherapy to be of benefit to health anxiety.

jorainbow

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 04:59:17 AM »

I used DARE response by Barry mcdonagh for anxiety. Also the books of Dr Claire weekes. The approach is very much acceptance of the anxious thoughts and give them no headspace. CBT is similar. I adopt a so what approach to anxious thoughts these days which gives them little yo no impact. .magnifying is just another anxiety lie.

Stella2

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 08:43:52 AM »

Hi Weeloz,
I also have health anxiety and I was so afraid of HRT that I suffered debilitating hot flushes for 5 years. Last year I finally realised how miserable my life had been and started HRT. Somehow my health anxiety relating to this dropped, maybe due to the positive effect of HRT. But now I had a breakthrough bleeding and I am on long waiting list for a scan. Again, initially I was mortified, spoke to a GP who said that they do not want to investigate as this is normal (!?!). I asked dr Currie for advice and asked for second opinion in my surgery. The other GP did a check and referred me for scan. Because of the initial wrong advice and long wait I am now looking forward to the scan rather than being anxious about it, very strange... and I am hoping that I will not have to stop HRT. I also somehow think that all will be OK. But this is today, tomorrow it might be different, there is always that fear.
I have for last 5 years tried to find a way to deal with my anxiety with meditation, reading a lot about this, jorainbow advice is great. Once when you face these feelings and allow them to be they kind of subside, as they just want to be heard and then they can go. During my CBT treatment I was encouraged to do so and I found it interesting when I first time addressed my early morning dread with 'good morning dread' rather than being scared of it. But I do still have health anxiety and google everything, but maybe I am a bit better in dealing with it.