Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Belly fat  (Read 1183 times)

floraljo

Belly fat
« on: November 29, 2022, 07:18:30 PM »

Hi,
Since spring I've gained a lot of weight on my belly. I'm otherwise very slim. I'm 41 and diagnosed with perimemopause recently. I suspect hormonal involvement. I've been going to the gym more in the last 4-6 weeks and no change in diet.

I've just started estradot. I'll start utrogestan in 2 weeks. My testosterone is low (0.7) and I'm considering androfeme for that.
Did anyone find hormone replacement reduced belly fat and helped with weight? I'm feeling very gross.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Belly fat
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 08:01:43 PM »

Is it 'fat' or has your apron dropped?  Mine did - due to loss of oestrogen which is the elastic of our bodies.  When laying down I'm flat, by mid-afternoon it's beginning to look bigger!

How often do you weigh yourself? 

floraljo

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 08:12:36 PM »

I think it is fat? If I'm lying down, it wobbles! I can pinch it! If I suck in my abs, it wobbles on top.

I rarely weigh myself because I'm very slim. My personal trainer said I shouldn't lose any weight. I think it is hormones perhaps.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 08:35:32 PM »

I wobble in all the strangest of places  ::)

VanillaLover

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 08:45:38 AM »

Yeah …..it is hormonal I think. As oestrogen drops I believe the body tries to compensate by storing more belly fat (these fat cells produce a small amount of oestrogen).

At least that’s what I keep telling myself!

I’ve only put on about 1/2 stone since I was 40 (now 46) but my body shape has changed massively. It’s all round boobs, belly and hips.

I’m afraid HRT made it worse, not better!

A lot of it seems to be water retention too which makes it look worse. After two kids my stomach will never be pristine I know but yes I’m starting to really hate it! I can randomly lose 2-3 lbs day-day sometimes which tells me it must be water. Salty food makes a definite difference to the bloating (increase).

My bmi is still 22-23 so I’m just aiming to keep within that. As CLKD often says, eating little and often really helps with the blood sugar crashes and energy problems I seem to get sometimes nowadays. Yet in total I am eating much less than I was a few years ago. But it’s a struggle to keep weight down still.

I am just accepting it for now and hopefully once hormones stable after meno I can perhaps lose a little weight if I still want to. It’s just hopeless to try now with everything so unstable. I’m just trying to eat healthily and maintain healthy weight. And not go up a clothes size!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 09:42:34 AM »

Morning all - VanillaLover - I read similar in a magazine that I picked up in Waitrose yesterday.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 10:19:02 AM »

I found hrt helped but mostly because in untreated peri I turned into a snarling couch potato, too tired and fed up to do anything. Once on hrt I was able to be more active. I think body metabolism slows down around this age which makes it harder but for me hrt has made all the difference. With the assistance of a recent bout of diarrhea courtesy of the Bolivian jungle I have the same body shape I had when I was 20, it just sags a bit more  :(.

Sarah777

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 11:12:26 AM »

I've definitely lost fat on my belly since being on Oestrogel (with no other changes to my diet or exercise regime)....it did take about 6 weeks to start noticing the difference though.

However, the Oestrogel is causing my hair to shed. So it now feels like a toss up between being slimmer again or having less hair. Pretty miserable at that choice because in all other ways it was going well.

Good luck on the Estradot.

Sarah