Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Ear Infection or TMJ?  (Read 2469 times)

getting_old

Ear Infection or TMJ?
« on: November 28, 2022, 06:54:36 PM »

I have a very sore jaw and ear, especially when I open my mouth which according to Dr Google means I either have an ear infection, TMJ or possibly both. I've spent most of the day trying to get an appointment with the doctor, with no joy  :'(  From what I've read there's a good chance I need antibiotics, but I'm looking for suggestions that might help until I get to actually speak to a doctor please.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ear Infection or TMJ?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 07:10:39 PM »

Is there a warm/hot area; anywhere that is sore to touch?  Could it be scar tissue that is tight = strange feelings?

If you can't speak to a GP mayB seek advice from a Pharmacist. 

getting_old

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 09:18:48 PM »

It doesn't feel particularly warm to the touch but the pain feels like it's quite deep, not on the surface if that makes sense, and it's not in or near an area where there could be scar tissue. At first I thought it was TMJ as I know I've been clenching my teeth at night the last few weeks (since the whole gobby git stuff  >:( ) but then it wasn't just when I tried to open my mouth, and it seemed to be more around my ear.
I did try the pharmacist earlier, but there wer 5 people waiting for advice, and most were coughing, sniffling, etc. so I decided I'd try another time when it might be quieter, then came home and tried Dr Google.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 09:29:47 PM »

Dr Google can't look at you though  ::)

In the mean time take Paracetamol and neurofen to ease symptoms? 

getting_old

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 10:12:12 PM »

From experience the pharmacist won't look at me either. At least not the ones I've asked for advice in the past, but then if I can only get a phone appointment with the doctor then it's not much different. Argh, healthcare these days  :'(

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 07:35:28 AM »

Hi getting_old sorry to learn you have this discomfort. Is it any better today?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 09:51:08 AM »

How is it this morning? 

getting_old

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 07:08:57 PM »

Well, I did something really stupid last night and tried to sleep with a higher pillow, and woke up this morning with a stiff neck on top of the other problems  :'(  However it has started to feel a little bit better as the day has progressed. I've been massaging the area and I think it's helping, so I'm thinking it's TMJ and not an infection.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 08:05:20 PM »

How is your taste, sometimes if there's an infection the mouth ........ ?

Massage usually helps.  How do U feel otherwise?  Any need for pain relief?

getting_old

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 09:28:54 PM »

I do have a bit of a strange taste in my mouth, but nothing really bad, and I can taste food. With my other issues taste can be different anyway, so there are times when I don't think there's anything wrong and things still taste odd.
I'm taking paracetemol, but I'm not sure it's really making much difference. The massage seems to be more helpful.

Thinking about it I know I've been clenching and grinding my teeth, since that stupid HR guy decided to shout about my health, so I do think it's TMJ. I just need to work out how to stop thinking about him and voodoo dolls  :P :P

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 09:49:14 AM »

Get the Voodoo Dolls and lots of pins ;-).  Or write him a letter, put it into an envelope and burn?  Gets it out of the head.

getting_old

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 07:34:23 PM »

I think I need hair too  :-X

It seems to be a bit better today so I'm hopeful that the massage and paracetemol are helping. OH suggested I might want to try a mouthguard so I'm going to take a look when I go to the pharmacy next time, but I have a feeling none will work with my anatomy. I may need to see the dentist to see if they can make something.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 08:33:14 PM »

I don't think hat I could wear something at night in my mouth  :-\, I dribble already  ::)

getting_old

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 08:54:39 PM »

I don't think hat I could wear something at night in my mouth  :-\, I dribble already  ::)

Me too!!!