Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Panicky feeling and negative thoughts!  (Read 793 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Panicky feeling and negative thoughts!
« on: November 29, 2022, 02:48:36 PM »

Anyone else feel like this? I’ve had a near panick attack this morning but managed to talk myself down.

Managed to get out for a walk at dinner for some fresh air.

Came back and tried to work, then I feel my thoughts are attacking me! Does anyone else get this? Not felt like this for years. It was only 4 degrees last night and I was having hot flushes from early afternoon onwards!!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Panicky feeling and negative thoughts!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 03:34:04 PM »

Hormones!   >:( .....  make sure that you eat regularly, take time during the day to deep breath: it's awful. 

Keep On Swimming

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 03:35:33 PM »

Hi MIS71MUM,

Sorry you are having such a rotten day. I can totally relate - that was happening to me before I started the oestrogen gel. Good for you going out for a walk! That's one of the best things to do I reckon.

I haven't a clue about HRT as I'm only a newbie but if the sweats/anxiety are back then maybe you need to increase sth?

All the best xxx

DottyD68

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 03:54:01 PM »

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way. I had never suffered with anxiety or panic attacks before the perimenopause. It is so scary when it happens. For me it comes in waves so I know it is hormonal. It has been much better since I got settled on HRT although I had a blip when I got covid and GP changed HRT at the same time (not a good idea) and came back full force.  Its now mostly settled again.

I don't think all the uncertainty in the world helps and other life challenges at our age. I have a mother with Alzheimer's and my husband's parents who live 250 miles away are both in ill-health which is additional stress.

As CLkD says focus on your breathing and try to think "it will pass". I use the meditation app Headspace which I find really comforting and I also feel much better after exercise. I have acupuncture once a month. It maybe a placebo effect but I don't care as I always feel good afterwards.

I hope it passes soon X
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 03:55:57 PM by DottyD68 »

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 05:15:26 PM »

Thank you for the replies both!

Yes my panick and anxiety comes in waves, especially in the morning. Also definitely think it’s worse when I’m not eating properly.

I’m sure this is low oestrogen but my brain is playing tricks and then I think it might be too high, or an imbalance! Then I get that uptight about everything, I can’t think straight or make a decision!!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 06:20:20 PM »

It may be that early morning wakening hormone, cortisol - it would cause me to wake suddenly in deep fear  :'(.  Beta blockas helped for several years.