Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Bleeding on HRT all investigations normal  (Read 863 times)

CRM66

• First Flush
Bleeding on HRT all investigations normal
« on: November 28, 2022, 12:30:31 PM »

Hi, I am new here and hope to find others who have experienced the issues I am dealing with.
After having to come off of the POP at age 55, menopause symptoms kicked in pretty quickly, I started Kliovance continual HRT in June last year which really helped with the unpleasant menopause symptoms but resulted in PMB, the bleeding continued after 6 months and the GP changed me to Evorel Conte patches again this helped with the night sweats, itching, etc but still I bled.  I have had ultrasound and hysteroscopy and they could find no cause for the bleeding, the gynae suggested the HRT caused it. I was offered the Mirena coil but this is not something I want to do. I now need to discuss alternative HRT with my GP who has admitted, he does not have much expertise in this area. Does anyone have any positive experiences of strategies that worked for them or do I need to consider stopping the HRT altogether (not keen on this for obvious reasons). My instinct is telling me I need more progesterone as I had not bled whilst using the POP for many years.

Jan1234

Re: Bleeding on HRT all investigations normal
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 01:17:20 PM »

Hi im going through exactly the same ive acually just re posted on here as well my gp says mirena coil as well but i really dont want it either

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 03:05:34 PM »

Some women aren't menopausal till there early 60s so it may be that you're still peri and would be better on a sequi regime (I'm thinking you probably won't know as you went straight from pop to hrt?). Your gp is right that a mirena is your best bet for stopping bleeding. You could try a double dose of utrogeston (200mg every day). But if you are still peri you will probably still have some bleeding except with a mirena. In early peri sometimes a combined BCP is successful though perhaps you need more oestrogen than they give now.

CRM66

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 07:24:29 PM »

Sheila, I wondered if I may be in Peri too but GP convinced fully menopausal. I went straight from COC to POP to HRT so really have no way of knowing when or if my periods truly stopped.
Definitely worth discussing this again with my GP.
Jan , I have friends who have tried Mirena with varying degrees of success. My main issue is that I don’t tolerate the speculum well and can’t bring myself to go through it. I read on one of the forums about someone who had one and it made things worse but she couldn’t get a quick appointment to get it removed so she pulled it out herself !
As my bleeding is not particularly heavy or painful, I asked the gynae if it really mattered if I had the occasional bleed but she said it was not ideal and it needed to be stopped. Suggested that if GP couldn’t help he should refer me to a menopause clinic , goodness knows how long the wait is for that though.

Ellie O

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 05:44:22 AM »

Hi. Try to change to separate oestrogen patch and Utrogestan. It gives you flexibility to reduce the oestrogen dose or increase progesterone.

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 07:07:49 AM »

You may be better off on a Sequi regime x

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 07:11:00 AM »

Hi. I agree with Sheila99 and Dotty that you could still be in peri and a change to sequi could give you a more predictable bleed. At 55 I bled continuously on Evorel conti and changed to sequi which sorted things out for me. My bleeds were short and light (after the initial two months). I continued with sequi until I was 60 when I had to have a hysterectomy for prolapse and no longer needed progesterone.

Taz x :welcomemm: