Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Absorption - confused!!  (Read 1199 times)

PoppyPopcorn

Absorption - confused!!
« on: November 27, 2022, 09:51:24 PM »

I am 50, had a hysterectomy 6 years ago and started on patches about a year ago.

I started off on 25mcg, then up to 50 mcg in about May, then up to 75 mcg in September and the doctor prescribed Estradot which suited me very well. However, Estradot are very hard to source round my way (Glasgow) and so my repeat prescription was for generic "estradiol" and I am now on 75 mcg of Evorel. I am finding my symptoms have come back - not completely, but I am waking early, mild anxiety/restlessness, serious itching.

I am thinking that my body is just not absorbing the hormone as well from the Evorel as it did from the Estradot - is this a "thing"? Is it worth asking to go up to the 100 mcg patch of the Evorel (which is about the size of an A4 sheet of paper  ::)) Or any other tips? In an ideal world I'd be back on the Estradot in a flash, but the pharmacy will only give a box at a time as supply is so restricted and I can't face phoning round half of Glasgow every 4 weeks looking for stock.

Urgh. And to complicate matters, I have an underactive thyroid too and wonder if I should be upping my thyroxine dose too.

KatyB

Re: Absorption - confused!!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 09:30:07 PM »

I'm sympathetic - I've also been swapped onto Everol and I don't absorb them as well as Estradot. I'm going to try to get Estradot again this prescription. According to this article the supplier is rationing pharmacies - and that's why they are saying there's supply shortage even though not reported on 'official' list of what's in short supply Bonkers!https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/07/hrt-uk-shortage-supply-menopause-women

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 10:32:47 AM »

I've found estradot to be stronger than evorel and gel too. If you can't get them using evorel 100 and possibly cutting a piece off should work just as well.

Clarella

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 06:36:07 AM »

I think I’m better on estradot and facing the same issue right now.

My thyroid has been fine on transdermal hrt. Utrogestan taken orally apparently can increase t4 levels for those on thyroxine .

But definitely worth checking as a few women appear to find the opposite.

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 11:10:42 AM »

I am thinking that my body is just not absorbing the hormone as well from the Evorel as it did from the Estradot - is this a "thing"?
It can definitely be a thing.  Bloods show I've had way better absorption from Estradot than Evorel.

Transdermal HRT is said to be less likely to affect our thyroid levels, but a few of us on here have found it does to some extent, though it mostly seems to be those of us who already have probs converting T4-T3 so also take T3.  If you have any symptoms suggesting your thyroid dose is wrong I'd get a TFT done for peace of mind.
Wx

Oscar

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 07:27:33 PM »

Glad to find this thread. I think I have the opposite problem. As Estradot is out of stock currently I’ve been given evorel and getting migraines! I have a feeling I’m getting to much of a hit when I first put them on as it seems to be for the first two days after a patch goes on then disappears until the next one goes on. I don’t get migraines at all on Estradot! I miss it!!! Thankfully not getting any other symptoms though.

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 10:10:03 AM »

Oh, that's bad luck Oscar.  Some of us definitely feel better on one brand than another.  I hope you soon manage to get a supply of Estradot.
Wx

Pippa52

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 12:36:07 PM »

Evorel made me feel really ill and the worst migraines I have ever had.  I am on Estradot now and although there has been a shortage our local pharmacist told me this week supplies are coming through again now so it might be worth you checking.  I got my prescription ok.  You can buy them online at The Independent Pharmacy too xx