Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie question, burning sensations and fluid retention  (Read 893 times)

melois

• First Flush
Newbie question, burning sensations and fluid retention
« on: November 25, 2022, 09:12:29 PM »

Good evening all, I hope your all doing okay today.

I am 51 years old. I guess I am in perio menopause.
My periods haven’t deserted me as yet.
Due to various reasons, especially not coping well with work and very heavy periods I have started HRT.
I’m on Oestrogel and utrogestan tablets. I’m almost at the end of my second utrogestan cycle. I haven’t had a bleed yet.
Before going on the HRT I has burning sensations under my buttocks, which is still there. I now have burning feet, legs and arms.
My BP has been elevated, so am wondering if this is contributing to the increase in sensation.
I’ve reduced from 2x pumps  a day to 1.
Any suggestions on how to manage this would be appreciated. I’m going on long haul flights soon & am worried it will make everything worse.
Thanks for reading xxxx

Hurdity

Re: Newbie question, burning sensations and fluid retention
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 08:57:42 AM »

Hi melois

:welcomemm:

I can't comment on the burning as I've never experienced it and not familiar with others experience either.

When you say you guess you are in peri-menopause and that your periods haven't deserted you yet, how often are your periods? Are you skipping cycles or are they delayed and come at erratic times?

Also the very heavy bleeding - strange in view of this, that you haven't bled yet on the HRT - but maybe if your heavy periods were infrequent, then you haven't ovulated? Can you say what dose of utro you are taking and for how many days per cycle?

Hopefully you able to do anything towill be able to reduce your BP if it is abnormally raised?

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 09:16:41 AM »

Some report burning sensations as they approach peri-menopause.  4 me it's either sciatica or bursitis in the buttock and down my leg into the feet.  Hip pain is felt in the groin.    MayB self refer to a physiotherapist with a knowledge of womens health.

Is your BP elevated in the Surgery?   Perhaps buy a home testing kit as many have white coat syndrome.  The idea is to take 3 readings at the same time with a small gap between and jot down the numbers.  One cannot feel a raised blood pressure, one is aware if BP drops as 1 feels dizzy, i.e. when getting up from a chair.

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 11:24:32 AM »

Hello Melois  :welcomemm: yes to the burning sensations & they are not pleasant.  Few quick thoughts about these - they can be a feature of menopause, as a variant of formication, which more often seems to be described as crawling sensations, but some articles do mention some women feel this instead as burning. 

I would mention it to your GP as there can be various other causes such as B group deficiencies (inc B12 & folate) which they may want to test for you, along with blood sugar & thyroid function. 

Burning sensations can sometimes be a feature of hypothyroidism, together with fluid retention & raised BP. 

Some women also find oestrogen (me included) causes them to retain fluid.  I find progesterone highly diuretic & wonder whether you notice any improvement in your fluid retention during the prog part of your cycle?  Easier for me to determine cause & effect as I'm long postmenopause with no ovaries, but use cyclical HRT to minimise progestogen exposure.

No time for more this morning.  Hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.
Wx
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 11:48:09 AM by Wrensong »

melois

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 10:13:09 PM »

Hi Ladies,
Thanks you for reading and  takin the time writing your suggestions.
I have been prescribed 2 pumps of gel & 2 tablets from day 15 for 12 days.
My periods where getting closer together, I was more of a 32 day cycle kinda girl. They were also getting very heavy, needing to change pads every 1/2 hour when very bad. I had missed one and had a couple further apart, more recently.
I have had all the various blood tests, of which all were normal apart from FSH LH and estrogen being of menopausal levels.
I have been fit and well until around a year ago. I felt like my hormones had suddenly completely dropped. I had blood done 4 months previously and hormones were fine.
I have also been for ultrasound scans of my uterus etc as I had pelvic pain in April. They found a small fibroid and possibly adoymyosis.everything has escalated from then.
I have seen a private physiotherapist, who tried various things, nothing really improved the sensation under my buttocks. She sent me to a Neuro guy. I was concerned regarding MS. He didn’t think the symptoms fitted.
Brain scan showed nothing & I didn’t feel he was listening to me, so haven’t gone back.
I’ve been to NHS physio & they have sent me for a whole spine MRI. I get the results this week.
Regarding BP - I have been taking readings this week and it’s still a little high but not as bad. 
M x