Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Telling your Mum you have hit menopause  (Read 633 times)

Hinari hot flush

Telling your Mum you have hit menopause
« on: November 26, 2022, 04:06:33 PM »

I am 51 and had a recent chat with friends about telling your mum you have hit menopause. We were all saying it had that feeling of saying you had your first period but can imagine it makes mums feel old that their little girl is no longer of child bearing age.

It has also been nice having my mum to share my experiences. My first time acknowledging it to my mum was a hot flush in a supermarket and I opened a freezer to cool down and she just said " you need to start layering love. It will help when they come out of know where". After I had composed my self in the car journey home I said I take it your know that was a menopausal hot flush and she was very well aware. Also replied saying my sudden weight gain in my boobs was a give away too :D

Sadly not everyone is fortunate enough to still have their mum here for advice but if you did get the chance to share this stage of your life with your mum how did she take it and was she helpful.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Telling your Mum you have hit menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 05:14:25 PM »

When I mentioned it to both Mum and my sister, they had 'forgotten all about it'  >:(  ::)

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 07:22:14 PM »

Don't have my mum anymore but she never mentioned it,although looking back at her sometimes erratic behaviour and having a nervous breakdown,I'm guessing it was down to meno

Marchlove

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 09:12:42 PM »

Like you Jaypo I don’t have a Mum anymore, she died from cancer when I was ten. Breast and then I believe ovarian because she had a full hysterectomy.

I believe she started to take ‘the pill’ in the early 1960’s, so one of the early users  :-\
  None of her sisters or her Mum ever had cancer and my sister and I have been gene tested and nothing revealed itself.

My menopause journey has made me question all the interventions that may possibly cause harm and it saddens me that we have so few answers.

So yes Hinari, if my Mum was still alive, I’d talk and share as much as possible. Mum’s are our best sages, not only by their successes but also by their failures they teach us.

Mx

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 08:52:32 AM »

Yep,me too Marchlove,I'd DEFINITELY be asking my mum things now too,my mum had a mastectomy as did her sister AND their mother,I've been gene tested but chose not to know although my oldest sister did and it was ok,she also had a full hysterectomy but as I was a late baby I've no idea why,so many questions  :-\