Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: symptoms post meno after weight loss  (Read 1075 times)

discogirl

symptoms post meno after weight loss
« on: November 27, 2022, 03:20:21 PM »

Hi,

I'm 4 years post meno and had really no symptoms of menopause, I had night sweats etc but that didn't affect my sleep at all.

In february of this year I developed tinnitus, insomnia and anxiety which I believe was menopause symptoms.

I lost quite a bit of weight in 2020, and when ladies no longer have estrogen, fat cells are used to give us estrone which is a type of estrogen I believe. I'm wondering if I was surviving on estrone and when I lost the weight and thus the estrone this is when my problems started.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received x
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 03:26:52 PM by discogirl »

Kathleen

Re: symptoms post meno after weight loss
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 04:02:29 PM »

Hello discogirl.

I think a similar question has appeared before so it may be worth doing a search on the subject.

It's tempting to think that putting on weight will provide us with more of our hormones but I don't think the science supports this. The Zoe App people recently reported that slimmer women have fewer Meno symptoms ( 60% compared to 70% of fatter women) so both groups still symptomatic.

Louise Newson has said that we make a weaker form of Oestrogen in our post meno years and that is why we need HRT. Perhaps for some women the weaker form is usually good enough? In fact I wonder if the HRT version is too strong and that also causes problems?

Take care ladies.

K.

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 04:04:21 PM »

Hello discogirl.

I think a similar question has appeared before so it may be worth doing a search on the subject.

It's tempting to think that putting on weight will provide us with more of our hormones but I don't think the science supports this. The Zoe App people recently reported that slimmer women have fewer Meno symptoms ( 60% compared to 70% of fatter women) so both groups still symptomatic.

Louise Newson has said that we make a weaker form of Oestrogen in our post meno years and that is why we need HRT. Perhaps for some women the weaker form is usually good enough? In fact I wonder if the HRT version is too strong and that also causes problems?

Take care ladies.

K.

Hi kathleen,

Yes that's very, very interesting point. Thank you x

discogirl

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 04:24:49 PM »

For anyone interested, I just found this on breastcancer.org medical page regarding weight loss and drop in hormone levels:

"A study supports the link between excess weight and higher hormone levels. The study found that estrogen and testosterone levels dropped quite a bit when overweight and obese women lost weight."

Seems to support the theory that when overweight women lose weight that impacts their estrogen and testosterone levels.

Quite interesting x