Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan continuous to cyclical  (Read 795 times)

GraceM

Utrogestan continuous to cyclical
« on: November 22, 2022, 03:31:07 PM »

I was prescribed continuous utrogestan 100mg 6 months ago, despite being peri.  I suffered heavy periods and they have since gotten worse.  Gynae said I could take 200mg continuous over a phone call.  When I told gp he said I should have originally been on 200mg cyclical and asked me to try this regime.  I'm wondering if anyone else has switched from continuous to cyclical and how they felt on it?  Did it take a while to settle on the new regime?

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan continuous to cyclical
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 04:41:38 PM »

Hi GraceM

Was there a reason you were given conti Utrogestan by the gynae eg do you have endometriosis or have a history of it? If not then yes cyclical would be better.

If you are very late peri then the higher dose may work but mostly women find they get breakthrough bleeding as the cycle continues regardless. How far into peri were you ie what were your periods doing before starting HRT and how long had any (natural) cyclical changes been going on?

How you feel when you change depends on how you feel generally on the utrogestan. 200 mg daily is a hefty dose and most of us wouldn't want to have that every single day. I tolerate it for 12-14 days per cycle. The only downside is getting acclimatised to the progesterone each month and then usually women get some form of pms symptoms from the progesterone withdrawal as the body adjusts.

The other thing is, are you also taking oestrogen and if so what dose?

You could try the cyclical for several cycles but if the heavy bleeding continues maybe you would consider a Mirena coil?

Hope you get sorted soon :)

Hurdity x

Booroo

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 02:47:06 PM »

Hi GraceM

Was there a reason you were given conti Utrogestan by the gynae eg do you have endometriosis or have a history of it? If not then yes cyclical would be better.

If you are very late peri then the higher dose may work but mostly women find they get breakthrough bleeding as the cycle continues regardless. How far into peri were you ie what were your periods doing before starting HRT and how long had any (natural) cyclical changes been going on?

I’ve just started sndrena gel today and h e the utrogesten 100mg two tablet for 2 weeks which I assume I take in like 2 weeks time for 2 weeks then repeat as on script but Hurdity how do you feel on it? Do you sleep?x

How you feel when you change depends on how you feel generally on the utrogestan. 200 mg daily is a hefty dose and most of us wouldn't want to have that every single day. I tolerate it for 12-14 days per cycle. The only downside is getting acclimatised to the progesterone each month and then usually women get some form of pms symptoms from the progesterone withdrawal as the body adjusts.

The other thing is, are you also taking oestrogen and if so what dose?

You could try the cyclical for several cycles but if the heavy bleeding continues maybe you would consider a Mirena coil?

Hope you get sorted soon :)

Hurdity x

GraceM

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 05:21:34 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.  I'm waiting on an appointment for hysteroscopy and mirena so hopefully that wont be too long.  I was originally prescribed continuous by my gp as he hadn't a clue.  He's of the opinion that if you still have periods you don't need hrt so I had to stand my ground to get it at all.  I'm on the 50mg patch.  My gynae then said I could increase the continuous to 200mg to see if it would help with the bleeding.  When I needed a new prescription this week my gp questioned this and said I should have been on 200mg 2 weeks on 2 weeks off (pity he didn't know 6 months ago). So I agreed to try the cyclical.  One concern is that my mood will drop on the 2 weeks off but I guess I'll have to wait and see. 

EllaAurora

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 08:18:49 PM »

Hi GraceM,
I'm considering the same, after having been on conti regime almost 1.5 years. I started with sequi in 2020, but after a few months my meno symptoms got completely out of control so gynae put me on conti regime to minimise any fluctuations. I was on high dose 200mg continuous which is unusual but I was ok with it. A few months ago moved to 100mg daily, but have increasingly felt tired and like the utro is building up (if that makes sense), making me feel heavy. Difficult to explain but I was feeling like its too much.
I was visiting a friend overnight 2 weeks ago and forgot my pills so got one night break anyway, and then decided to take a pause and see what happens. I was scared of getting horrible progesterone withdrawal after such a long time on it, but it went quite ok in the end. Now I should decide what to do. Somehow sequi feels more 'natural', that's how our bodies are designed to work, so I might try that.
Any updates from your side?
Hope you are getting on well. xx

GraceM

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 05:48:39 PM »

Hi GraceM,
I'm considering the same, after having been on conti regime almost 1.5 years. I started with sequi in 2020, but after a few months my meno symptoms got completely out of control so gynae put me on conti regime to minimise any fluctuations. I was on high dose 200mg continuous which is unusual but I was ok with it. A few months ago moved to 100mg daily, but have increasingly felt tired and like the utro is building up (if that makes sense), making me feel heavy. Difficult to explain but I was feeling like its too much.
I was visiting a friend overnight 2 weeks ago and forgot my pills so got one night break anyway, and then decided to take a pause and see what happens. I was scared of getting horrible progesterone withdrawal after such a long time on it, but it went quite ok in the end. Now I should decide what to do. Somehow sequi feels more 'natural', that's how our bodies are designed to work, so I might try that.
Any updates from your side?
Hope you are getting on well. xx

I'm only 3 nights off the utrogestan and feeling grand.  Period arrived at the weekend so figured it was a good time to start the cyclical.  Hope it works out.  I get very heavy periods but started taking tranexemic acid and its working well. This is the first time in years that I haven't gone through a box of ultra tampons in a couple of days.