Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Horrendous facial excema  (Read 1134 times)

Roses4u

• First Flush
Horrendous facial excema
« on: November 29, 2022, 10:41:04 PM »

Newbie here. Having read relevant posts on here, I can't find my answer. Had menopause 5 years ago, now 57 but for the past 3 years had horrendous facial eczema so bad I couldn't go out, puffy, bright red  , very itchy, flakey, hot red face, couldn't cover with make up as would just flake off. I thought it was hormone related as had eczema as a kid until I hit 37 and had first child and it cleared completely.  Told doc this and could it be menopause and hormone related. Gp said no and i was sent to a dermatologist who gave me steroid cream in increasing strengths over 2 years for my face which didn't touch the horror which was my face. Dermatologist also didn't think it was hormone related and refused me hrt. My confidence was at rock bottom, any cover up make up had flaked off along with my dry face skin by lunchtime. Finally i moved house and had a new gp who listened and prescribed femiston conte. My face cleared in weeks. However after 3.months I started monthly bleeding again after 6 years without periods. Referred to gynae, they did a scan and everythin is luckily ok but is there a different hrt I can take to stop the bleeding. Im terrified to come off icurrent tablets in case face flares again. :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Horrendous facial excema
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 09:58:50 AM »

Hi!  sorry that you haven't had a response.

What is your diagnosis?  Roscea (sp) is common during menopause.  I think a few have this so hopefully will respond.

A dermatologist isn't able to prescribe HRT though should have suggested that you get a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic.  Obviously the condition is related to your hormone levels.

I believe that a break through bleed is usual on some HRT regimes which should settle after a few months. 

:welcomemm: :bighug:

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 10:01:17 AM »

I've sent a couple of PMs to members who might be able to advise. 

There should be a response to your worries later. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:21:21 PM by CLKD »

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 01:10:50 PM »

Hello Roses4u and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry that you are suffering and unfortunately I don't know enough about eczema to advise you. However I understand that allergies to certain foods may be a factor plus a generally high level of inflammation. I think that Oestrogen is a steroidal hormone and that could be why your HRT is helping.

If I were you I would check out NutritionFacts.org and see if any research has been done on diet and eczema.

I hope this helps you in some way and take care.

K.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 06:04:46 PM »

Hi Roses4u. Some good advice from Kathleen.

I know how distressing skin problems can be specially when it affects the face as I have inflammatory rosacea which looks the same as acne but thankfully doesn't leave a scar. Did you have an actual diagnosis of facial eczema via skin scrapings?

As for the bleeding I'm glad that you've had a scan and all is well. Did you know that conti HRT can give odd bleeding during the first six months of use? It's very common and may settle down in time. I found that all the conti HRTs I tried made me bleed. It's difficult to say whether a different HRT would still be good for your skin. I'm not sure whether it is the oestrogen or progesterone which is beneficial. If your skin improved during pregnancy then maybe this does point to progesterone. Maybe you could research this if you haven't already?

You will find lots of support on here. It's a great forum.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 06:41:15 PM »

:thankyou:

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 08:19:28 PM »

Roses4u, Femostan conti hrt comes in two strengths. You don't say which one you are on, but if on the stronger one you could try the low dose and see if that stops the bleeding but still helps your skin problems.

Floo36

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 09:50:22 AM »

Hi, I now have eczema all over and it flares when my Estrogen is at its lowest point in my cycle.  Unfortunately sometimes we have to work these things out ourselves because some professionals don’t have a clue how Estrogen deficiency can affect so many areas of our body.  I hope you can get on the right HRT that will help.