Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vulva dryness  (Read 6147 times)

Elliebee

Vulva dryness
« on: November 21, 2022, 12:31:29 PM »

For the past 3 months I’ve had dryness around vulva. No vaginal dryness (yet). It is not there all the time and appears in the second half of my cycle. I still have periods well more spotting !
It feels like I have a stubble rash - without the stubble! Pants or tight trousers rubbing the area make it worse.
I had a look down there with aid of mirror and I’m sure things have shrunk and the skin looks drier/thinner. I also noticed a tiny brown flat spot like a freckle on labia which has freaked me out! I’m sure it has been there for ages as I recall noticing it before during one of my calmer periods ! Health anxiety has kicked in and I’ve convinced myself it’s vulvar cancer ! Skin looks normal . I do get dry skin on right side of groin but again this seems to be hormonal and comes and goes .
Can u get freckles on vulva ?
Done an online GP consultantation,
I’m not on HRT and have a mirena coil fitted.

Flossieteacake

Re: Vulva dryness
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 12:59:14 PM »

Hello Elliebee. Your symptoms are classic of vaginal atrophy. You will need localised oestrogen which is applied inside the vagina and on the outer area. This is nothing to worry about as it happens to us all. There are lots of threads on here all about it which will teach you more. I also have a freckle type spot on my vulva.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 01:00:30 PM »

Yep. Freckles arrive anywhere! 

Get thyself some vaginal atrophy treatment.  As oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina, between the toes  ::). Many find that 'vagifem' helps, I use 'ovestin' with success.  The idea is to insert into the vagina at night for at least 2/3 weeks, then see how the vagina feels.  If possible drop down to a few times a week, though some find that nightly application is required.

You don't need an exam or blood tests - so ask your GP/Nurse Practitioner for appropriate treatment.  Let us know how you get on.

Elliebee

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 01:13:46 PM »

Thank you ladies this is so reassuring and as I’m feeling very low today, made me cry! One of those days where the tears just appear!
Surgery has made appointment for this Weds to see GP. They want to examine me 😬
I always thought vaginal atrophy referred to thinning and shrinking of the internal tissues ? I never realised the labia shrink too!
Are there any risks associated with the hormonal treatment for VA?

Elliebee

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 01:16:28 PM »

Flossieteacake how long have u had freckle on vulva?

I’m sure mine has been there ages. Only noticed as I’ve been looking more closely 🤣

It may even be scar tissue from where I once had a cyst.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 01:19:10 PM »

Flossieteacake how long have u had freckle on vulva?

I’m sure mine has been there ages. Only noticed as I’ve been looking more closely 🤣

It may even be scar tissue from where I once had a cyst.

I never look at that area so I am not sure. I only saw it when I thought to check to see if the skin looked as sore as I felt. VA can cause all sorts of shrinkage down there so the sooner you start treatment the better. Localised oestrogen is not dangerous. It is essential for us as VA is a life long condition so we will always need to use the treatment.

I am sorry you are feeling so low. I can understand how worrying it is when we find a new symptom. You will see on here that VA is very common so you are not alone.

Elliebee

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 01:29:25 PM »

Thank you ! The low mood will pass soon and that’s what I keep reminding myself. It comes out of the blue and goes as quickly! I’ve always been a worrier but  panic more now especially when feeling low and I have a new symptom or see something I’ve not noticed before!
When feeling calm I can rationalise much more!
Hormones !!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 01:34:04 PM »

Thank you ! The low mood will pass soon and that’s what I keep reminding myself. It comes out of the blue and goes as quickly! I’ve always been a worrier but  panic more now especially when feeling low and I have a new symptom or see something I’ve not noticed before!
When feeling calm I can rationalise much more!
Hormones !!

You are being so positive. It is good you know the low mood will pass. I can understand worrying and then reacting when a new symptom pops up. I hope your DR appointment goes well and you ask for localised oestrogen. My personal favourite is Ovestin which is a cream. If you get a pessary you will need a cream too as the pessary is to be inserted and the cream is for the outer area.

Elliebee

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 01:36:37 PM »

Thank you Flossiteacake! I don’t feel positive 🤣
I will follow your advice. x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 01:42:02 PM »

Thank you Flossiteacake! I don’t feel positive 🤣
I will follow your advice. x

Just letting yourself it will pass it positive.  :) Let us know how your appointment goes.

Elliebee

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 01:55:57 PM »

I forgot to mention that I also thought it may be Lichen Scelerious but I don’t have any iichy white patches of skin on vulva.
I need to stop googling 😬

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 01:58:11 PM »

I forgot to mention that I also thought it may be Lichen Scelerious but I don’t have any iichy white patches of skin on vulva.
I need to stop googling 😬

Your symptoms are classic vaginal atrophy. Have a browse around here and you will see many of us with the same symptoms as you. We even have a thread called The Burning Club were members share how they are feeling on it. Here is a link to it:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22886.0.html

Elliebee

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 02:27:18 PM »

Thank you for the reassurance.  I’ll take a look at that group. x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 02:36:04 PM »

Thank you for this thread, I’ve just googled and realised that I have all the symptoms of VA too!

I like Elliebee, thought VA caused symptoms inside only not outside.

I’ve even seen the GP about it and neither of us have put 2 and 2 together!!

Gosh, what symptom will it be next?!?

Ayesha

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 02:49:49 PM »

I let my symptoms get so out of control that it was impossible for me to sit down in the end. It was this forum that educated me to what Vaginal Atrophy was, a condition that I had never heard of. Neither do most doctors, always going down the bladder infection route, antibiotics given when there was no need, it was all a farce until I was prescribed the VA treatment, now I am all good again.
It's a bit of a shock when you haven't looked down there in years and see that you have mostly disappeared, but with the treatment it will all plump up again.

Pages: [1] 2 3