Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT and painkillers  (Read 916 times)

Katherine

HRT and painkillers
« on: November 21, 2022, 12:12:17 AM »

Hi ladies,

I’m up with the worst headache I’ve ever had to the point it’s nearly unbearable. I’ve just taken ibuprofen and codeine, the equivalent dose of 2 nurofen plus, then it occurred to me maybe I shouldn’t take them while I’m on oestrogel and utrogestan. Does anyone know? I feel like something is really wrong, I hope it’s not covid, I only got covid 3 months ago so I was hoping to have some immunity for a while. I’m on my own so just trying to take comfort in YouTube videos.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT and painkillers
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 09:54:30 AM »

I don't think that painkillers and HRT interact .  MayB speak to a Pharmacist later once the pain begins to wear off?  I think spreading the various pain killers through the day, i.e. alternatively, gives a more even chance of relief.  Where abouts is the headache?

Make sure that you are well hydrated today. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 10:22:43 AM »

I am sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. I often take painkillers and never even thought they may interact with HRT. It could be a migraine rather then a headache. I am not sure if you are familiar with how they feel but they are agony and best helped with actual migraine medication on prescription. I personally use sumatriptan for mine. I hope you feel better soon.

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 10:27:54 AM »

I take painkillers with hrt. x

Katherine

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 11:33:44 AM »

Hi ladies, the painkillers reduced the pain a lot so I managed to sleep. Thank you so much for your replies. It was my head, my face and my eyeballs just really hurting. Flossie sorry to hear you get migraines. I’m not sure if mine was a migraine. The combined pill used to give me them in my twenties where I would see yellow lights and a floaty aura round my field of vision. How can you tell if it’s a migraine?

Anyway it was like nothing I’ve had before so I suspect it could be HRT related. I’ve been much busier than usual in the last three days so maybe stress related. CKLD I Usually find ibuprofen and codeine  together work like a dream for me. I hope this doesn’t keep happening! Xxx
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 12:13:32 PM by Katherine »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 12:54:46 PM »

Hi ladies, the painkillers reduced the pain a lot so I managed to sleep. Thank you so much for your replies. It was my head, my face and my eyeballs just really hurting. Flossie sorry to hear you get migraines. I’m not sure if mine was a migraine. The combined pill used to give me them in my twenties where I would see yellow lights and a floaty aura round my field of vision. How can you tell if it’s a migraine?

Anyway it was like nothing I’ve had before so I suspect it could be HRT related. I’ve been much busier than usual in the last three days so maybe stress related. CKLD I Usually find ibuprofen and codeine  together work like a dream for me. I hope this doesn’t keep happening! Xxx

For me a migraine is very intense and more in one spot. I then get pain travelling to my eye and gums. I feel a headache is more a tight band across my head. The migraines you had in your twenties sound like migraine with aura. I am so pleased you managed to sleep but I have a feeling you may have a migraine.

Katherine

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 05:31:10 PM »

Your migraines sound awful Flossie, sorry to hear that. Do you get them very often?

I hope I don't keep getting them. I was unusually busy and tired so hopefully if I try and avoid that I won't have any more. It's just with moving house I have had loads to do. It never occurred to me that it might be a migraine as I always associated them with visual disturbances. x
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 05:34:21 PM by Katherine »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 06:12:29 PM »

Your migraines sound awful Flossie, sorry to hear that. Do you get them very often?

I hope I don't keep getting them. I was unusually busy and tired so hopefully if I try and avoid that I won't have any more. It's just with moving house I have had loads to do. It never occurred to me that it might be a migraine as I always associated them with visual disturbances. x

It varies. Sometimes I get them daily and other times not. There is no connection with mine.  Moving home is so stressful so I would not be surprised if the stress has brought it on. How are you feeling now?

Katherine

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 06:28:22 PM »

I'm feeling much better thank you, the pain has gone. I just feel like I'm dragging myself around but then I always feel low on energy from about 1 week before my period. I have found though that just accepting its how I feel and do what I can helps. Looking back there have been times when I was very emotionally stressed that I got a severe headache so I think stress and tiredness are the cause.

It must be hard getting migraines so often Flossie. do you find your medication brings relief quickly?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 07:10:15 PM »

Oh wonderful! I am so pleased the pain has gone.  :)It is good you recognise when you feel low on energy and can accept it. I think trying to fight it can cause frustration. Migraines are often caused by stress so that could be the link to yours.

Sometimes the sumatriptan works quicker then other times. I think it depends on how painful the migraine is. I also have to take one as soon as one starts or the medication takes a lot longer to help.

Katherine

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 11:03:17 PM »

Thank you Flossie  :) I’m glad you have found a medication that helps you. X

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 11:44:15 PM »

Thank you Flossie  :) I’m glad you have found a medication that helps you. X

Thank you. :)