Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Frequent UTI’s  (Read 1196 times)

LollyC17

• First Flush
Frequent UTI’s
« on: November 20, 2022, 11:41:13 AM »

Hi i am new here. I am 48. I have been having frequent and prolonged UTI’s for the last 2 years.  Last week I was prescribed Blissel, I am also on the mini pill Desogestrel.  I have now been referred for blood tests and a scan.
For the last 2 days I have been in a lot of pain in the pelvic area, particularly when I am passing urine for the first time.  I also started spotting, which I know can happen, but is very unusual for me.  Yesterday I took over the counter cystitis relief powders which helped.  Today I took my only sachet of Monuril 3000 which the doctor gave me in the event I felt another infection come on. 
I guess I am just looking to see if this is normal, and to be honest my mind is working overdrive worrying I may have something more serious and just want to talk to someone other than my husband!

Dotty

Re: Frequent UTI’s
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 12:01:19 PM »

Hi vaginal atrophy can cause UTIs or can mimic UTIs. I’m not an expert on this as I don’t suffer, but I have been prescribed Blissel for atrophy.

Look up a book called “me and my menopausal vagina “ by Jane Lewis . Or do a search on here.

https://www.mymenopausalvagina.co.uk/

Hopefully someone will be along with more knowledge than me . x

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 12:20:48 PM »

If your scan and blood tests come back negative definitely look at Vaginal Atrophy, most of us on here who suffer had never heard of this chronic condition until we started to have symptoms, and unfortunately neither do a lot of doctors know about it.

Do a search on here for Vaginal Atrophy, there are loads of threads referring to this nasty condition, mention it to your doctor as well!

Good luck  :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 01:32:13 PM by Ayesha »

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 12:25:12 PM »

Hello LollyC17 and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry that you are suffering with UTIs.

I have mentioned before some research that found eating or handling chicken was causing frequent UTIs in some women. It all sounds a bit whacky but it seems that the generally  harmless bacteria in the meat were discovered in the bladders of the women and this led to a UTI.  I don't think the subjects were Menopausal but perhaps any vaginal atrophy or dryness would mean the whole area was less well defended than usual.

If you want to learn more you may want to look at Dr Greger's Nutritionfacts.Org site.

I hope this helps in some way and wishing you well.

K.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 12:37:07 PM »

Hello Lolly and welcome. I agree with the others, it is very likely you have vaginal atrophy. Sadly many GPs do not know what this is and will send us for many tests when all we need is localised oestrogen. I would ask to try Ovestin cream. It is a cream that can be inserted and applied to the outer area. I think it will give you a lot of relief.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 01:23:25 PM »

Hi! buy a copy of 'Me and My Menopausal Vagina', written by a Member of the Forum: read, pass on to your Surgery ;-)

In the mean time, take pain relief and perhaps insert a lubricant, i.e. KY Jelly.  Ring your Surgery tomorrow and request VA treatment: you don't need blood tests or an internal.  I find 'ovestin' helps and many use 'vagifem' internally as well as 'ovestin' or 'Sylc' and/or 'yes' products.  Don't give up!

Let us know how you get on.  Sadly so many GPs don't have a clue  :bang: :beat:

LollyC17

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 07:37:36 PM »

Thank you all for your responses.  i have heard of vaginal Atrophy on some threads on here, I will definitely mention to my doctor when I phone tomorrow.  I really need some help with it as its affecting my work as well as my family life.  i will also read the book recommended.  i am so glad I found this site.  :)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 07:38:35 PM »

I hope your appointment goes well.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 07:53:40 PM »

Don't take any flack from the GP.  U don't need an exam or bloods ;-). 

Peanut31

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 11:49:47 PM »

Hi

Hope you do not mind me jumping in on this conversation, but I’ve been suffering awful recently with infections. Especially cystitis, it use to be thrush.

I had an episode while away on holiday, and managed to ease it as took some cystitis relief sachets.

I’m home now and it’s back with vengeance after only getting better for one day.

Sat in pain now, feeling I need a wee and burning sensation, my only relief is just to sit on the loo as I feel relief just being near a toilet.

I’m currently on HRT, gel and tablets and take testosterone.  I see you have mentioned  some Ovestin cream, is that ok to take in addition to my HRT gel.

I can try and speak to my GP tomorrow or the Menopause clinic I use?

It’s getting to the point where it’s one thing after another. I have started some waterfall D-mannose tablets but not sure if they agree with me as just giving me wind.

Thank
Peanut31

Dotty

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 07:08:18 AM »

Yes you can take Ovestin with HRT. x

Peanut31

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2022, 07:10:55 AM »

Thank you.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 09:46:05 AM »

Hi

Hope you do not mind me jumping in on this conversation, but I’ve been suffering awful recently with infections. Especially cystitis, it use to be thrush.

I had an episode while away on holiday, and managed to ease it as took some cystitis relief sachets.

I’m home now and it’s back with vengeance after only getting better for one day.

Sat in pain now, feeling I need a wee and burning sensation, my only relief is just to sit on the loo as I feel relief just being near a toilet.

I’m currently on HRT, gel and tablets and take testosterone.  I see you have mentioned  some Ovestin cream, is that ok to take in addition to my HRT gel.

I can try and speak to my GP tomorrow or the Menopause clinic I use?

It’s getting to the point where it’s one thing after another. I have started some waterfall D-mannose tablets but not sure if they agree with me as just giving me wind.

Thank
Peanut31

Hello Peanut. I am sorry you are in pain. Often we will be given HRT but not told about localised oestrogen which is essential for vaginal atrophy. As Dotty said, it is safe to take with HRT. You can just request it from your GP. You do not need an examination. Browse the threads here and you will find out lots more about vaginal atrophy.

Peanut31

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 09:56:00 AM »

Thank you for that information.

I’ve contacted the menopause clinic and waiting to hear back.

My local GP last time wasn’t very helpful last time and told me to buy some cystitis sachets, despite me telling him that was what I had already used.

Best wishes

Flossieteacake

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2022, 10:36:31 AM »

Thank you for that information.

I’ve contacted the menopause clinic and waiting to hear back.

My local GP last time wasn’t very helpful last time and told me to buy some cystitis sachets, despite me telling him that was what I had already used.

Best wishes

How annoying! It is sad how they often do not know about VA. I hope you hear back soon.