Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Bleeding on HRT? Is this normal?  (Read 949 times)

Nanookster

Bleeding on HRT? Is this normal?
« on: November 18, 2022, 11:03:59 AM »

Hi everyone!

I started continuous HRT in March of this year and other than a period in August, my periods completely stopped. I woke up this morning and I have just started a period out of the blue. Is this normal? I’ve not changed my dosage etc.

I had a pelvic ultrasound 2 days ago as part of my 2 yearly Pap smear at the gynaecologist and everything was normal.

Has anyone else experienced a period on continuous HRT completely out of the blue?

I called my gyno office this morning and one of the receptionists asked my doctor and he said it's normal... and yet every single article I read on the internet says that bleeding is only normal on HRT in the first 6 months?

Edited to add:  I am 42 and have been taking HRT (Bijuve - 1mg of oestradiol and 100mg progesterone) for 8 months. I started HRT because I was having lots of peri symptoms and my periods had become really irregular. I had not gone 12 months before starting on continuous HRT. I live in Germany and maybe the protocol is different here?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 11:38:54 AM by Nanookster »

Dotty

Re: Bleeding on HRT?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 11:26:21 AM »

Hi welcome to the forum.

Are you able to give us some more information about yourself?  How old you are and where you were in menopause before starting HRT.  Had you gone 12 months without a period before starting on a continuous HRT?

These answers will help us to answer your query.  x

Nanookster

Re: Bleeding on HRT?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 11:34:51 AM »

Hi Dotty, thanks for your message. I am 42 and have been taking HRT (Bijuve - 1mg of oestradiol and 100mg progesterone) for 8 months. I started HRT because I was having lots of peri symptoms and my periods had become really irregular. I had not gone 12 months before starting on continuous HRT. I live in Germany and maybe the protocol is different here?

Dotty

Re: Bleeding on HRT? Is this normal?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 11:51:06 AM »

Hi thanks for the info.

You generally wouldn't start on a continuous HRT until you'd gone 12 months without a period. And you are quite young for a continuous regime.

A continuous regime won't harm you but you may get breakthrough bleeding.  Thats probably why you doctor is not concerned.

Bijuve is a relatively new HRT.  It is available in UK but we haven't heard much about it on the forums. x

Nanookster

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 11:58:44 AM »

Thanks so much for your support, Dotty. I've spent the morning reading up on continuous HRT and ma now wondering why I have been prescribed it. I'll call my gynaecologist on Monday to ask him. I haven't heard of breakthrough bleeding - I'll have a read up about it. Thank you!

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 01:00:22 PM »

Hi I’ve just looked up Bijuve and it says it should only be used if you’re post menopause….12 months without a period.

Breakthrough bleeding occurs because your own hormones will rise and fall. If your body isn’t ready for a continuous regime you may get bleeding at random times. As I said, this isn’t dangerous but could become inconvenient. You’d be better to have a regulated bleed.

Nanookster

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 01:07:16 PM »

I just saw that too, Dotty. I've got some questions to ask my gynaecologist, that's for sure! I really appreciate you taking so much time to reply to me. Thank you ever so much!

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 01:13:36 PM »

Happy to help 😊