Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Anxiety, depression and gut health?  (Read 3444 times)

Kathleen

Re: Anxiety, depression and gut health?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2022, 06:22:58 PM »

Hello lady.

I have mentioned before on the forum that I am a big fan of Sauerkraut for gut health. I often buy the shop made variety but every now and again I make my own and  I understand that Lactobacillus is the main bacteria present.

Anyone interested in making their own Sauerkraut can watch numerous YouTube videos and see that the process is ridiculously simple and very cheap to do. Basically all you need is a cabbage, some good quality salt, a large jar and some weights to keep the cabbage submerged. One word of warning though, the home made variety can be very potent so if you are new to this particular delicacy eat small amounts until your digestive system gets used to it.

Wishing you well ladies.

K.

Stella2

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2022, 08:41:26 AM »

So glad you mentioned that Kathleen. I make my own sauerkraut too and even my husband who doesn't like pickles has a bit with our dinner. Just a spoon fool or two is enough daily. It's very easy to make!

Dierdre

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2022, 10:45:35 AM »

Never knew that, thanks ladies.

Minusminnie

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2022, 04:03:01 PM »

I recently bought two bags of sauerkraut from the fridge in our local health food shop. 
I am going to continue buying it as i feel it has made a difference to my gut function.
I've read that the bottled type is less live ?  I am having a couple of spoonfuls with lunch in some form.  Have you ladies got any suggested palatable ways of eating it please ?  Not that i don't like it but it can get a bit samey on its own.  So far i've had it with an poached egg or in a sandwich as well as on its own.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2022, 04:15:47 PM »

:-X

Stella2

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2022, 05:31:29 PM »

Probably not to everyone's taste but we have it with most of meals just like a little side dish. It's also nice to add to the mixed salad. Tasty sautéed with onions and eaten with mashed potatoes with or without sausages

Minusminnie

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2022, 06:21:19 PM »

Thanks Stella maybe time I tried it with a main meal. We generally have mustard mash with sausages so that would change the taste. Not sure about sautéed as wouldn’t any heat destroy the lactobacillus that you want to get inside you ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2022, 06:25:52 PM »

Mind U, I was years B4 I attempted yoghurt  ;D  ::)

Minusminnie

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2022, 06:35:07 PM »

I came out of the health shop with live bio yoghurt as well CLKD ! Maybe I should try a mix with the sauerkraut !  Yoghurt was ‘that new fangled stuff’ in my parents home ! 😄

Anne G

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2022, 09:10:48 AM »

Thank you so much everyone for your replies.  Yes, omeprazole was given to supposedly protect my stomach from The NSAIDs.  I’ve stopped all three. Hip is sore but I’d rather that than depression/anxiety, so I’ll stay off any painkiller until my stomach gets a chance to recover.
Thank you for the reading advice - I’ll be following that up, and the confirmation that gut, sex hormone and brain, mood are linked. It’s reassuring at least to know what to focus on 👍

Weeloz

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2022, 09:58:30 AM »

I have been on lansoperozol since July it helped slightly but still get reflux during the night when sleeping . Tried stopping it but it caame.back with a vengeance . Having been waiting. On an endoscopy since July 😯 my throat is constantly sore . Some one told me the tablets burn your throat ,not sure if this is true 🙄how do wean off them

Ayesha

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2022, 10:29:55 AM »

Hi Weeloz. It won't be the tablet that is burning your throat just the fact you have a constant sore throat.
In your case I would continue to take the Lansoprazole until you have your endoscopy as they will protect your oesophagus in the meantime.
I would also suggest taking supplements like B12 and calcium, although the later can cause reflux too.  ::)

Four months is not long to be on them, and it can take two months for them to take effect. A change in diet is also important, I keep well away from anything fatty and had to give up on all the naughty treats in life!   :-\

Anne G

Re: Anxiety, depression and gut health? Update
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2022, 09:31:27 AM »

I think I have worked it out!  I read a research paper saying that a strain of gut bacteria (ruminococcaceae) plays a role in metabolising estrogen and another paper, on researching further, that confirmed that proton pump inhibitors (i.e. omeprazole) suppress that strain.  So with a reduced load of the gut bacteria strain in question, I'm not getting as much estrogen into my system as I should be and therefore the return of brain fog, anxiety symptoms.  The bacteria can be enhanced by eating Betaglucans like oats and wholemeal bread, walnuts are good and a supplement called saccharomyles boulardii. Personally I'm never taking omeprazole again, but for people who need it maybe worth thinking about how to counteract the impacts with these goods/supplements. 

Ayesha

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2022, 10:44:06 AM »

I think I have just come across my first side effects of Omeprazole, which I have to take unfortunately as much as I would love to stop them!
I had to take a colonoscopy preparation which totally strips all of anything that is good in the gut. Three weeks on and my stomach is still not back to normal with an awful sour, bitter, dry mouth and feeling very run down, like a virus feeling.

I started to take probiotics for the first time ever three days ago, and it seems to be sorting my bowels out already, instead of having to rush to the toilet, things seem to have settled down. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it also sorts out my dry mouth and taste problems which are obviously coming from my stomach.

No doubt about it, when you have to take these PPI’s, you must do your research and protect yourself from the side effects, I thought I had it all sorted until I had a colonoscopy and having to drink that disgusting prep. 

Dierdre

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2022, 12:57:10 PM »

Would a reduction in dosage help, I was on 30mg with Lansoprazle and think that was OTT for heartburn, that's usually the dosage for treating ulcers. They do 15mg and 20mg if you're not already on that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3