Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anxiety, depression and gut health?  (Read 3445 times)

Anne G

Anxiety, depression and gut health?
« on: November 17, 2022, 11:47:26 AM »

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of making improvements to their gut health to reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression, and how that is connected to hormone production?

I'm kind of experimenting on myself at the mo and think there is something in it, but wonder if others have any experience?

In short HRT really helped with my mental health issues when I started in May '21.  Been great until about a month ago when I started to feel symptoms return.  This coincided with nurse practitioner prescribing naproxen, co-codamol and omeprazole to help with hip pain - waiting on physio!  I'd read a bit about connection between gut health and mental health, and investigated further.  Discovered that all of the above meds likely to reduce good bacteria in stomach and increase bad!!  I'm now taking Kefir and yakult to replace the good bacteria and eating lots of veg and fibre to help them multiple.  It seems to be helping.  I've also cut out refined sugar at least for a while as that feeds the bad bacteria. 

I still think HRT has made the biggest difference to my mental health, but interested in the role between good gut health and how hormones function.  I read that 80-95% of serotonin is produced in the gut.

It was horrible when I felt symptoms were returning.  I'd do anything to avoid going back to where I was.

Dandelion

Re: Anxiety, depression and gut health?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 11:58:11 AM »

I tried probiotics, but didn't really know what I was doing.
More oestrogen stopped my gut rot.
Lack of it can cause IBS
Uncontrolled stress or depression can rot guts or give you tummy ache in my view, dunno if I am right or wrong though.

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 12:01:12 PM »

Anne G - didn't know you had this thread so have just posted on this topic in response to your comment on Lisa_Oz's Utrogestan intolerance thread.

Have copied the core in here. . .

. . . some interesting books for anyone who might want to explore this further:-

Gut - Guilia Enders
The clever guts diet - Dr Michael Mosley.

Kathryn Marsden also has a couple of good reads on gut health.

Currently reading What Every Woman Needs to Know About her Gut - Prof Barbara Ryan (Gastroenterologist) & Elaine McGowan (Dietitian) which covers the interaction between sex hormones & gut health.
Wx
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 12:29:49 PM by Wrensong »

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 12:19:59 PM »

Hi Anne G

I've just weaned myself off Lansolprazole, the worst drug I have ever taken and will never  touch again. Omeprazole is similar, please look at the list of side effects they are endless and for the last 3 months I have suffered quite a few of them not realising they were side effects and thought I had developed serious health conditions.
Anxiety
Fatigue
Painful joints and muscles
Rectal bleeding, sore bottom
Blurred vision
Swollen ankles fluid retention.
These were just a few. The main problem is getting off this awful drug for acid reflux, you cant just stop as it causes rebound acid and the heartburn comes back with a vengence. It's took me a month to wean off and all my symptoms and side effects have gone including the heartburn.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 12:52:14 PM »

Omprazoloe has suited me thus far, however, Dr James le Fanu, a GP who writes in the Telegraph, isn't keen on it being prescribed for more than 3 months.

I have found "Rennies" .... and 'milk of magnesia' liquid useful too. 

What did the Nurse prescribe those medications for?  Co-codamol-type pain relief has me on the bathroom floor after the 2nd pill  :-X :-\

The gut is our 2nd brain.  It's where my anxiety hits = acute nausea which caused immediate panic attacks for which I have an emergency drug.  Remember how we felt prior to exams., job interview, driving test?  Anxiety for me until I got going.

Your diet is good, keep up with that.  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains, also the body may become dry: inside and out.  Browse round.  make notes.

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 01:40:03 PM »

All very well these doctors and they're not so helpful advice to people who are suffering badly from stomach problems. When it comes down to the nitty gritty sometimes there is no escape from these meds, if you have to have them then we have to put up with any possible side effects.
My husband came off Omeprazole after being prescribed it for Gastritis and Duodenitis by the hospital consultant. He was doing fine but his symptoms came back and is now back on omeprazole. Once his symptoms improve, he will probably have another break from them.

As for me, I have been on them for a few years now, no option, and I have not suffered any side effects from taking PPI's.

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 08:02:07 PM »

According to an excellent German gastroenterologist I consulted last year, the whole lot is connected.   His wife is menopausal so he has a special interest in the menopause, hormones, serotonin, anxiety, depression, IBS and gut health and said they are definitely all interconnected and easily thrown out of kilter during the menopause.

He said that a low dose HRT regime is very beneficial post menopause and don't be afraid to add in an AD if necessary.

It was a very worthwhile consultation.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 09:00:22 PM »

Hi! Mary G - did U see him in the UK or did you get a holiday in Germany at the same time ;-)

Stella2

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 09:03:44 AM »

Hello Anne,

I agree with you and I also started making my own kefir after I was diagnosed with IBS, I developped IBS after withdrawal from AD, but that might have been a coincidence.
Gut produces 95% of serotonine so our mood is definitely linked to our gut health.

Another good book to recommend is 'Gut' by Giulia Enders.

I would just like to add that acid reflux does not always have to be linked to high acid, it can be also low. I suffered badly, adjusted my diet what did not help much and the only thing the GP prescribed was Omeprazole, they did not wish to do more checks. I read somewhere online about sodium bicarbonate test for checking whether the stomach acid is low. I did the test and it seemed that mine was actually very low. I started drinking some cider vinegar with water before a meal and chewing my food properly, not drinking during the meal. In addition to this I read that the sphincter that connects stomach with oesophagus might not be closing properly due to diaphragm being weak, therefore acid is released towards the throat. I am doing twice daily breathing exercise to strengthen diaphragm. I feel much better now.

HelenS

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 09:21:59 AM »

Anne, I'm flabbergasted that anyone would be prescribed Omeprazole for hip pain. I would suggest that nurse practitioner might be best avoided in future. I hope you manage to feel better soon. Gut health is extremely important and gastro reflux can be a symptom of low stomach acid, too, as Stella2 mentioned above. I have used betaine HCL with pepsin in the past for this. Chris Kresser has some good reading on it in this and other articles on his website.
https://chriskresser.com/get-rid-of-heartburn-and-gerd-forever-in-three-simple-steps/

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 09:48:38 AM »

All very well these doctors and they're not so helpful advice to people who are suffering badly from stomach problems. When it comes down to the nitty gritty sometimes there is no escape from these meds, if you have to have them then we have to put up with any possible side effects.
My husband came off Omeprazole after being prescribed it for Gastritis and Duodenitis by the hospital consultant. He was doing fine but his symptoms came back and is now back on omeprazole. Once his symptoms improve, he will probably have another break from them.

As for me, I have been on them for a few years now, no option, and I have not suffered any side effects from taking PPI's.

I think the worry with PPI's is connected to bone density. They can stop absorption of calcium and also vit B12 so you should take extra supplements whilst taking PPI'S long term.
They are awful to stop cold turkey, the heartburn just came back worse, I had to wean off over a couple of months.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 09:55:20 AM by Dierdre »

Ayesha

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 10:17:12 AM »

Agree Dierdre, I make sure I take supplements to try and deter any side effects, I also do Pilates.
I believe exercise is extremely important as we age and can never be underestimated. Coming from someone who always hated to exercise but it's helping a lot with my muscle issues, caused by repetitive strain injury.

Dierdre

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 12:12:19 PM »

Agree Dierdre, I make sure I take supplements to try and deter any side effects, I also do Pilates.
I believe exercise is extremely important as we age and can never be underestimated. Coming from someone who always hated to exercise but it's helping a lot with my muscle issues, caused by repetitive strain injury.

I've started walking everyday, just 30 to 60 mins a day and it's helping with my mood and anxiety too. I enjoy yoga but since we've had all this rain this week my joints have stiffened up, especially in my fingers. Bought some multivitamins but only taking one every few days as I eat a healthy diet and they're mostly for the vit D and anything else I'm missing, just in case.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 12:15:21 PM by Dierdre »

Ayesha

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 03:47:14 PM »

Anne, I'm flabbergasted that anyone would be prescribed Omeprazole for hip pain. I would suggest that nurse practitioner might be best avoided in future.

Omeprazole would not have been prescribed for Anne's hip pain but to protect her stomach whilst taking the other drugs that she was prescribed.
It's very common for people who have to take strong meds.

Dierdre

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 05:39:43 PM »

It would be the Naproxen. NSAIDs used long term can cause lots of stomach problems.
That's the problem we have to take drugs to counteract the side effects of the drugs we need to make us better.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 05:47:58 PM by Dierdre »
Pages: [1] 2 3