Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Before I change GP surgeries..  (Read 1998 times)

KaraShannon

Before I change GP surgeries..
« on: November 16, 2022, 01:30:48 PM »

Hi everyone

My GP surgery has received a lot of criticism recently.  I have, on numerous occasions over the last ten years, felt that the responding of staff there has been very poor and I have wondered about the recruiting process for staff, across the board.  GP's have always been professional though I would say that compared to a decade ago they seem to respond to things in a more robotic manner, according to textbook, and show little critical thinking of their own or empathy.  They seem bored and mostly they are younger.  This isn't all GP's of course and I've always had a good relationship with my GP's in my life, never any complaints, until recently.

Anyway, I was not given my estradiol results since august.  I have asked 3 receptionists and all of them saying that I need to book a routine appointment.  For one reason or another those appointments didn't happen.  Not all my fault, I did have one appointment booked that I missed but I was dealing with an elderly man who'd fallen in the street and waiting with him for an ambulance.  Life happens and I only mention that because when rescources are tight, everyone starts blaming everyone else, and I was not to blame on that occasion.  I accept things are difficult all round.

So I got to speak to a GP last week and she told me my estradiol was way too high.  I accepted that as I was calling about another issue.  I didn't ask for the numbers.  But I think I have a right to see them. 

I have just gone to the econsult system to make the request for them and it can only be used between 6am and 12pm.  That's a half day.  They are also saying all appointments must be in the mornings.  I've always worked with whatever system is required to enable the surgery to function smoothly but for most of the working day they are unavailable to contact.  Now I know it has to be before midday I will get it done, but it's odd to me that I cannot contact the surgery during the day (any part of that day).  Most of these rules none of us have known about, it's always been possible to contact a GP surgery during daytime office hours.

Anyway, menopause issues are not the only issues I'm struggling with, I'm struggling with thryoid issues as well and don't feel the condition is being properly assessed or treated.  With the fatigue I'm experiencing, large swathes of time pass by without me addressing these issues.

It's not just all that I've described, there's a lot of incompetency occurring on things to do with prescriptions.  I had to stand there at reception and count dates on my fingers to prove to a receptionist that my repeat prescription was overdue.  She was acting as if I was in the wrong and acting suspiciously.  I know some patients may try to get hold of drugs for addiction etc, but that won't be the majority by any means and it's getting very stressful being spoken to by irritated staff who are responding to people as if they are annoying kids.  Everyone in the queue at the surgery is sympathetic with everyone else these days.  We are all feeling it.

With that said, I am wondering how bad things are across the country.  I am wondering about finding another GP surgery but if this problem is everywhere now perhaps I should stay put.

Interested what other's think

Flossieteacake

Re: Before I change GP surgeries..
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 01:36:22 PM »

I think you have highlighted very good reasons your GP practice is failing you. The way you have to almost beg for prescriptions is not acceptable. The whole point of econsult is to make life easier and if you can only fill it in during the morning then it is not really doing what it is meant to do.

If I were in your situation I would look at all the practices in your area and find out how their appointment system and repeat prescriptions work. For me, my practice uses something called Patches. This has really improved things as any messages or requests have a deadline and have to be sorted out in two days.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 02:29:19 PM »

My surgery is horrific, was on a current affairs programme. They have merged four practices, you have to use an App so they can triage, i have no problem with that if it worked well. But you have to be available by phone for them to contact you, however you have no clue when that will be. If you are working or driving to work it is hopeless as if you can't answer they tell you that you have to go through the App and request again. If you phone you will be holding on for hours and they cut you off when too many trying to get through. No continuity of GP to follow a problem through either.

I have a face to face appointment this week, they are like gold dust and have had to wait 3.5 weeks for that. It is normal to wait 3 weeks for non urgent appointment according to all the reviews about the practice.

One saving grace is that the repeat prescriptions requests work well but have to allow a week to make sure you don't run out.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 02:31:33 PM by Tinkerbell »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 02:31:45 PM »

Send details to the Practice Manager too.

I know that I had a blood test at the end of last year but it isn't noted on. my records.  2020 is the last .  Apparently.  However, I spoke to the Pharmacist in Feb or March who wouldn't have continued with my statins unless he had blood results in front of him  :-\.

England is short of GPs.  Many aren't training to be GPs and many are leaving due to pressures as well as sorting out their monetary issues - in that they are better off drawing a pension than working. 

I have never accessed records on line.  If a GP can't be bothered - so until I have to under go blood tests, I carry on with repeat prescriptions  ::)

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 02:56:09 PM »

I changed surgeries over a month ago and the new surgery STILL don't have my notes,been waiting that long to see about severe osteoarthritis in my foot.
I really think it's the same all over Kara,you might change surgeries only to find the new one worse  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 04:01:39 PM »

The reason that your surgery doesn't have your notes is that you moved Countries - as well as surgeries aren't joined up - they should of course be able to send all the paper copies via fax/e-mail or even trust the Royal Mail.   No excuses at all !

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 05:02:17 PM »

Blimey clkd, I could've walked all the way back to Wiltshire and walked back with them to Scotland by now  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 05:40:45 PM »

Yep.  Have they given you any excuses ........ pity you didn't think to collect them B4 you moved !