Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Forcing periods ?  (Read 826 times)

KarenWiv

• First Flush
Forcing periods ?
« on: November 15, 2022, 12:28:45 PM »

Hi all
New to The forum but very happy to be here.

I’m 51 (52 in April) and recently went to the doctor about symptoms.
I’ve been on a continuous pill for about 15 years.

The advice was that I had to stop taking my pill and see if I got a period. To date I haven’t (5 weeks on so leaving a little longer)

The doctor said that because I’m under 55 I will have to have some medication to ‘force’ my body into having periods and then I can get HRT.
Then they will stop the force period meds when I reach 55!  :o

The thought of having to have periods again fills me with dread!

I don’t take the pill for contraception I take it for pain. I can’t have children. And I can’t have the coil either.

Surely this can’t be right?
Forcing me to have periods?

Any advice would be appreciated x

Dotty

Re: Forcing periods ?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 12:31:35 PM »

:)Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, but I’ve no idea what your GP is talking about. They may mean Sequi regime hrt which will give you a bleed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 12:38:29 PM »

They don't seem to know what they are talking about  ::)

Your ovaries may have stopped producing due to the Pill, but 5 weeks is to be honest, early to make such a decision. Has the pain returned now that you aren't on the Pill?

In the mean time, keeping a mood/food/symptom diary may be of use.  Nature has a way of surprising us  :o  ::)

Let us know how you get on.  How does your body feel over all?  Which symptom would you like to ease?  You may not require HRT, not all of us do. 

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 12:51:04 PM »

Wrong choice of words on the part of the GP whether it was meant how it sounded or not.

The NICE guidelines might explain what he's talking about better.  I don't get why you would have to have periods up to 55 though if many women's stop before then.

KarenWiv

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 01:07:04 PM »

I had a bit of pain after a week. As if a period was coming.  But it didn’t.
Not sure why I have to have them!

I’m not sleeping. Am very irritable and, massive headaches, aching limbs, hot sweats etc. so all the tell tale signs really

Am leaving it until after Xmas to go back. I also feel 5 weeks is too early to make a decision.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 01:15:48 PM »

Get the appt made though.  Also ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic (not a gynae) as there are waiting lists. 

Your ovaries may have shut down.  It will be a while B4 you find out, probably.

Your symptoms are common with a drop of oestrogen.  Lack of can cause laxity of muscles = aches and pains; as well as the body may become dry: inside and out - skin, vagina, between the toes, deep in the ears, eyes, scalp ...... it's the Change, does what it says on the tin.

KarenWiv

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 01:20:50 PM »

Thank you

Get the appt made though.  Also ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic (not a gynae) as there are waiting lists. 

Your ovaries may have shut down.  It will be a while B4 you find out, probably.

Your symptoms are common with a drop of oestrogen.  Lack of can cause laxity of muscles = aches and pains; as well as the body may become dry: inside and out - skin, vagina, between the toes, deep in the ears, eyes, scalp ...... it's the Change, does what it says on the tin.

DottyD68

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 02:02:45 PM »

Hi Karenwiv,

I wonder if the GP is suggesting you go on a Sequi regime of HRT which is based on daily oestrogen and progesterone for 2 weeks of the month which causes (forces?) a bleed every month. I understand this is the form of HRT usually given to women who are having peri-menopausal symptoms but still having a period. As you don't know if your natural periods have stopped yet, and maybe they haven't, maybe this is what your GP is thinking?

The average age for women to have reached menopause (i.e. not had a period for 12 months) is 51, however that is only an average and when I started HRT at 53 I was still having periods, even though they weren't as regular as previously. Consequently I was put on a sequi regime.

I was told by my GP that once I reached 54 they would put me on a continuous regime of HRT on the "assumption" that I should have stopped having periods by then. The continuous HRT does not cause a regular bleed like the sequi regime does as you take progesterone throughout the whole month.

That I believe is the theory and my understanding is that it isn't all black or white and it's a lot of trial and error.

! I hope that helps.

KarenWiv

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 02:12:26 PM »

Thank you.
That’s explained it in a language I cAn understand!!!

Will ask when I return.
Thank you x

Hi Karenwiv,

I wonder if the GP is suggesting you go on a Sequi regime of HRT which is based on daily oestrogen and progesterone for 2 weeks of the month which causes (forces?) a bleed every month. I understand this is the form of HRT usually given to women who are having peri-menopausal symptoms but still having a period. As you don't know if your natural periods have stopped yet, and maybe they haven't, maybe this is what your GP is thinking?

The average age for women to have reached menopause (i.e. not had a period for 12 months) is 51, however that is only an average and when I started HRT at 53 I was still having periods, even though they weren't as regular as previously. Consequently I was put on a sequi regime.

I was told by my GP that once I reached 54 they would put me on a continuous regime of HRT on the "assumption" that I should have stopped having periods by then. The continuous HRT does not cause a regular bleed like the sequi regime does as you take progesterone throughout the whole month.

That I believe is the theory and my understanding is that it isn't all black or white and it's a lot of trial and error.

! I hope that helps.

DottyD68

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 02:17:36 PM »

Great  :)

Good luck x