Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 1128 times)

Pollydollydoodle

Advice please
« on: November 13, 2022, 10:48:28 PM »

I’m 49, new to this forum and most definitely peri. After my last smear test my gp told me I needed to come off my combined pill before I was 50, so I decided this week given my peri symptoms are so bad to sort it all out!
GP has prescribed me the mini pill (as contraceptive and progesterone) and Evorel sequi but has told me I am now going to bleed every month . I really don’t want that after years of running combined pill back to back to avoid periods. Anyone on the same combination? Not started it yet but thinking about going back and asking for evorel 50 ….. could I take that with mini pill and not bleed? My other thought is just to go and get the coil fitted but I am terrified!
I’m so confused, a mess and just keep crying about it all. X

Dotty

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 07:39:30 AM »

Hi welcome to the forum .

the mini pill doesn’t provide enough progesterone for hrt. Depending on which mini pill you are taking you could take 2 or 3 a day and that would give you enough progesterone. If you let me know which one it is I can tell you how many you’d need to take.

Evorel Sequi will give you a monthly bleed. You could try Evorel Conti but you may still bleed.

A Mirena coil would hopefully result in no bleeding . x

Pollydollydoodle

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 08:08:11 AM »

Hi, thank you for replying. It infuriates me that my GP didn’t tell me that the mini pill wouldn’t give me enough progesterone, I’ve been prescribed Desorex 75mg.
I really do think I’m going to have to get over the trauma in my head associated with the coil. 😱 x

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 08:21:12 AM »

Hi if you take the mini pill with Evorel Sequi then that’s fine as you’ll be getting the progesterone you need from the Evorel Sequi patch. The Sequi patches contain two weeks of progesterone.

If you take Desorex with just an oestrogen patch then it’s not enough progesterone.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 08:22:59 AM by Dotty »

Pollydollydoodle

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 08:28:33 AM »

It is the sequi patch I’ve been prescribed but really wanted to avoid bleeding. Anyone experience taking sequi and not bleeding? Xx

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 08:37:59 AM »

I think the statistics state that about 80% of women will bleed on a Sequi patch.

The No bleed patch is Evorel Conti but if you’re still in peri menopause then you are very likely to get breakthrough bleeding .

HRT does not stop bleeding like the combined pill does. x

VanillaLover

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 08:38:52 AM »

Not quite the same but I take a patch/utrogestan cyclical regime and don’t bleed when I withdraw the progesterone. (I do at other times sadly!)

Would it be an option for you to stop taking the pill for a few months and see if your own cycles return? I’m thinking at your age your periods may be stopping now anyway and you could possibly get away with a continuous regime with no bleeding?

As pp said though, you may still get bleeding on a continuous regime if your own cycles are still going underneath.

I know how you feel about the mirena btw, I think it would really help me but I’m scared stiff of it!

Nas

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 09:03:11 PM »

Out of curiousuty, what’s the fear of the mirena coil? Just wondered, as I have one and was also very apprehensive. It has stopped my bleeding dead in its tracks though. I am now
deliberating whether to get it removed, but the thought of bleeding every five minutes scares me more!!   Xx

Pollydollydoodle

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 09:14:39 PM »

What’s making you consider having it removed?
My main fear is the pain of having it inserted…. Think I’ve heard and googled too many horror stories! X

Nas

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 09:50:29 PM »

Ah, the pain was zero for me. It was fitted by a fantastic nurse who knew exactly what she was doing.

My reason for removal, is I think it’s having an adverse reaction on my skin. But I can’t be sure!

Pollydollydoodle

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 09:53:29 PM »

I need to hear more zero pain stories like yours! I have an appointment on Thursday to talk it through and make a decision xx