Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello and Thankyou!  (Read 1874 times)

Doodle

Hello and Thankyou!
« on: November 14, 2022, 09:00:31 PM »

Hi all  :)

Thought I would become a member after reading loads on here over the last month or so. I also wanted to become a member simply to say ‘Thankyou’ to everybody who posts here. Especially the regular posters who have already given me so much advice, info, relief  :o and understanding. And they don’t even realise it  :) sooooo THANKYOU so much xx

My story is quite long, so I’ll try and keep it brief here, and hopefully will talk more on other posts about my journey getting to where I find myself right now.

I am 45 years old. I started Evorel Sequi 29/10/22. I’m a couple of days into my 3rd week and put my first conti patch on this Saturday just passed 12/11/22.

My ‘journey’ to where I find myself today probably became noticeable in August last year. Although prior to that I had been suffering UTI after UTI for several years (had never had one or any other ‘lady problems’ before this.) It wasn’t investigated, just treated with copious amounts of antibiotics, which did the trick, but then a month or 2, or less, or more, would pass and the UTI would return. I didn’t think much of it. Just took the antibiotics and carried on. I was holidaying in Scotland last August and was having horrific menstrual cramps…..but no period came. My period did eventually come, but something felt amiss. Just….weird. Anyway, fast forward a few months to February this year and I started having horrid vaginal discomfort. I confided in a friend who said I was describing how she had felt when she had a prolapse. What the heck was that I wondered?!?! I was mortified and terrified and mortified again  :o :o. I googled  ??. I did the old ‘mirror’ investigation and was shocked at what I saw. Was this my faff?! Who’s faff was this?! It didn’t look like mine, but then again, i probably hadn’t had a good look down there for many many years  ;D.

I went to the Doc. Told him I thought I had a prolapse. He barely looked at me. Told me to undress, spread them  ::) and told me to cough. ‘Ohhh I see it’ was his reply. ‘I’ll refer you’. Waited patiently whilst in intense pain and discomfort. To the point that I actually had to go on sick leave from work. I had an ultrasound scan, a transvaginal scan. All clear. Prolapse wasn’t mentioned. When I asked, she said ‘oh I’m not looking for that’. Ok then, I thought when I got my next appointment with the consultant, I’d get to discuss the prolapse then. I then get an appointment for a hysteroscopy. I go, I have a very painful procedure done. A biopsy is taken from my womb with no sedation or pain relief  :-\. I get dressed. The consultant tells me I’ll get the results in due course. I ask about the prolapse and the pain and all the other symptoms I’m having…..urinary frequency/pain when bending/intense vaginal pain. ‘Oh I’m not looking at that’ was the response. ‘I’m looking at why your periods are heavy’…….WTf?!? I was completely perplexed. I had mentioned heavy periods during my phone consultation a few months prior. Gynaecology ALWAYS ask about your periods. It’s just procedure, right?! I never told them the heavy periods were a problem. All I wanted to find out was what was causing my pain and discomfort. The pain and discomfort was not going away and I still had no explanation of what the heck was wrong with me  :'(.

So fast forward another month and I finally manage to get my routine smear. I’d been waiting months because of the covid backlog on things and just no availability at my surgery. I assumed the position  ; legs spread eagled. Dreading the intrusion, because of what was happening with me, and knowing that even though smears had never bothered me in the past, I just knew this was going to hurt!! She’d not even unwrapped the speculum, when her head popped up over my knees and exclaimed ‘Oh My! You’re a little sore down here?’  :o. ‘Errrrrrr YES I am!’. Apparently the inflammation down there was off the scale. I was promptly given an appointment with the menopause clinic at the surgery and told I had bad atrophy. No prolapse???? Nope. A grade 1 rectocele, but that was all. It was/is the atrophy that’s been causing my problems all this time. I’m astounded that it took a doctor, a gynaecologist, another gynaecologist and then finally a practice nurse to look at me intimately and only the fourth person saw how raw and sore and shrivelled I was down there  :o. I’m still in shock quite frankly. I could have been helped months ago, yet had lots of procedures done that weren’t even necessary. I also had a gastroscopy (referred again by GP) to investigate my stomach pain and bloating. I suppose he had to do this to rule out anything sinister. But surely the dots should’ve been connected sooner?!  :'(. I’d never even heard of atrophy, until researching myself. And subsequently finding out how unrecognised and undiagnosed this life changing affliction is.

I’m now on week 2 of my first 2 week load of Ovestin, and even though I’m still having a lot of pain, I’m hopeful that I’m on the right track to feeling a little better. In time. One day at a time.

Thankyou for reading  :)

Dotty

Re: Hello and Thankyou!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 07:26:24 AM »

:)Welcome to the forum .

Sorry you’ve had such an awful time. Unfortunately it happens a lot .

Keep asking questions x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 09:54:03 AM »

No joined up thinking.  No taking a history from the patient.  No thinking out of the box - sadly this is 'within normal limits'  >:(

:welcomemm:  keep on with the 'ovestin' until you feel comfy, 5-6 weeks if required.  When I get the need2P I take 2 Nurofen 3 times a day to stop the nip as the urine flow stops. 

Doodle

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 01:36:26 PM »

Thankyou Dotty and CLKD for the warm welcome  :) .

The instructions on the Ovestin is to use ‘twice a week’, but after reading so much on here, I’m using it everyday for 2 weeks, and then I’ll see how things are feeling. I was given Yes moisturiser first, but again, after reading here, I knew that wasn’t going to help with the atrophy. It’s ok for outside soreness, but I definitely needed more than that.

I’ll also get some nurofen too, because I am feeling a little urethral discomfort, but I’m hoping that is the tissues plumping up, and the Ovestin working.

Thanks again  :)

Ayesha

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 02:35:30 PM »

Wow, what a story, Doodle, and unfortunately not unusual. It really is the luck of the draw when it comes to doctors and how well some of them are up on menopausal issues.
Like you I went to my doctor telling her I think I’ve got a prolapse, she examined me and said no prolapse but that I needed oestrogen as I obviously had none left, her words!
All done and dusted on the day and prescribed Vagifem.  A year on and with the help of a little Ovestin locally, and moisturiser, my symptoms are all cleared up. I am back to normal but knowing this treatment is for life.

Put yourself in charge of your body, if you find the VA dosage is not enough don’t put up with any crap that they tell you, you just have to read the posts on here, which you have and seem very enlightened, and that will put you in a position to take control of your Vaginal Atrophy treatments.

Extraordinary what some women are being put through to get a diagnosis of Vaginal Atrophy!  Jeez.......... ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 03:44:28 PM »

Twice a week is what 'they' think women should use after the initial 2 week loading time.  However  ::).

'yes' or 'sylc' can help the outer labia areas to safe moist = less itching and soreness.  It can be Trial and Error !

Doodle

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 04:30:21 PM »

Wow, what a story, Doodle, and unfortunately not unusual. It really is the luck of the draw when it comes to doctors and how well some of them are up on menopausal issues.
Like you I went to my doctor telling her I think I’ve got a prolapse, she examined me and said no prolapse but that I needed oestrogen as I obviously had none left, her words!
All done and dusted on the day and prescribed Vagifem.  A year on and with the help of a little Ovestin locally, and moisturiser, my symptoms are all cleared up. I am back to normal but knowing this treatment is for life.

Put yourself in charge of your body, if you find the VA dosage is not enough don’t put up with any crap that they tell you, you just have to read the posts on here, which you have and seem very enlightened, and that will put you in a position to take control of your Vaginal Atrophy treatments.

Extraordinary what some women are being put through to get a diagnosis of Vaginal Atrophy!  Jeez.......... ::)

Hi Ayesha, yes, if only the first Doctor I saw initially had spotted the problem, then I would’ve been saved a lot of upset and stress. Not to mention the resources which I believe were totally wasted on me. I’d been convinced I was seriously ill. I actually even mentioned perimenopause to this first doctor and he dismissed it because I was ‘too young’. I’ve since found out that if you are under 45 years old, it’s not even suggested. I was 44 at the time back in February  :o.

Doodle

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 04:34:05 PM »

Twice a week is what 'they' think women should use after the initial 2 week loading time.  However  ::).

'yes' or 'sylc' can help the outer labia areas to safe moist = less itching and soreness.  It can be Trial and Error !

I wasn’t even told about the 2 week loading dose. I only know to do this because of the very knowledgeable people posting here (I’m pointing at you being one of those people  8)) This forum has been my saving grace these last few weeks.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 04:39:11 PM »

Hello Doodle. You have already had great advice but I just wanted to welcome you. Thank goodness you know what is going on now and are having treatment for VA.

Cara999

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 04:44:43 PM »

Doodle, how awful for you to be put through all that. It's disgusting. I waited months and months for vaginal estrogen cream I think because of my age, I was 46. Its thrush, ph off balance, reaction to something, cream after cream I tried. I literally had to beg. Its a joke.

I really hope you find some relief soon 🥰

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 04:51:27 PM »

Hi Doodle.

Just wanted to welcome you.
I’m like  :o after reading your post. But doesn’t really surprise me tbh.
I hope the treatment works and you start to feel better down there. 🤞🏼
V.A is truly horrible.
Best wishes.

Jd xx

Doodle

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 05:03:52 PM »

Hello Doodle. You have already had great advice but I just wanted to welcome you. Thank goodness you know what is going on now and are having treatment for VA.

Thankyou so much Flossieteacake  :). Your name always makes me want to reach for the Tunnocks  ;D

Doodle

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2022, 05:08:53 PM »

Doodle, how awful for you to be put through all that. It's disgusting. I waited months and months for vaginal estrogen cream I think because of my age, I was 46. Its thrush, ph off balance, reaction to something, cream after cream I tried. I literally had to beg. Its a joke.

I really hope you find some relief soon 🥰

It really is shocking, isn’t it?! It seems we have to push so hard to get the help we need.

Thankyou, and I’m pleased that you eventually got the help you needed too  :)

Doodle

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 05:13:18 PM »

Hi Doodle.

Just wanted to welcome you.
I’m like  :o after reading your post. But doesn’t really surprise me tbh.
I hope the treatment works and you start to feel better down there. 🤞🏼
V.A is truly horrible.
Best wishes.

Jd xx

Thankyou Jillydoll, I’m feeling much more optimistic right now. I think the not knowing what is happening to you can add so much unnecessary stress. At least now, I have something to go with, if that makes sense! For months, the not knowing what was wrong was awful.