Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hello everyone - about to start my journey  (Read 1372 times)

Charliehorse1

Hello everyone - about to start my journey
« on: November 15, 2022, 11:32:36 AM »

Hi all, I've been reading all the threads (thank you so much for all the info you share) and I'm about to start my HRT journey.

I'm 53 and to be honest, hadn't given the menopause much thought. My periods had become a bit erratic but no hot flushes or other symptoms, knew it must be due because of my age but didn't worry about it.

At the end of last year, I was made redundant from a job I loved and enjoyed but I was confident I could find something else and I did within a few weeks.
That’s when I started noticing the changes. Learning a new job from scratch, struggling to remember details, confusion. I carried on, thinking it was the job, my new colleagues, it just wasn't for me. I was approached by another company and because I wasn't getting on there, I resigned.
The next job, it was worse. Couldn't get to grips with things. Couldn't focus or concentrate. I'd feel anxious when asked simple questions, everything blown out off proportion. Things I had done for years, I had no confidence in doing. All came to a head and after one mistake to many, they let me go.
What it did do, was make me finally stop and actually look what was happening to me. The psychological changes, I suspect had been going on for a while but because I was so comfortable in my old job, I didn't have to think about it .When I had to start learning the new jobs, the capacity to retain the information just wasn't there. I then started to link other symptoms I had. Such as the cyclical IBS type symptoms I was getting before my period. the headaches and body aches.
So I'm now unemployed. I have no confidence in even going to an interview, never mind starting a new job. I have been researching HRT and reading all I can and with the help of the forums such as this one, I have bitten the bullet and spoken to my Gp about HRT.

They have advised that due to my age, they would first try me on a one a day tablet with a gel once a day. It is a continuous dose, which would stop my periods.
I know it's probably going to be a long road and may not be the answer to my prayers instantly but it has given me hope. I need to work and support myself and my family (teenagers at home, that’s a whole other issue!) so maybe the person I was is still there and I can look forward again.

Thanks for all of the posters, I'm sure there are lots of women like me, who feel so lost and don't know how they are going to function again, who have been helped tremendously by the advice and encouragement.

X

Dotty

Re: Hello everyone - about to start my journey
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 11:58:16 AM »

Hi welcome to the forum. Ask any questions you want . There’s always someone to help . 😃

The gel is probably Oestrogel and the tablet is Utrogestan. However , if you’re still having periods the hrt won’t stop them. You probably need to take the utrogestan for 12 days every month instead of every day. x

Charliehorse1

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 12:26:23 PM »

Many thanks for the welcome  :)

I did ask that question when I spoke to the nurse, would they be split,  one everyday and then another added for the second half but she said no. Both everyday and they would stop my period. She said it was because of my age. I'm still learning what does what, so I'm completely clueless! I've got to go and get my blood pressure checked, so I'll ask if they can confirm everything.

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 12:32:39 PM »

A Conti regime may work for you, but if you’re still having natural periods it probably won’t and you’re likely to get breakthrough bleeding.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 12:35:36 PM »

Why would HRT over ride ovaries  :-\ - mayB put the product names into the search box - individually - to see what pops up.   Make notes ;-)

:welcomemm: some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.

Due to your age ?  not due to symptoms then  :-\

Ask away.  Browse round.  Do read the vaginal atrophy and bladder issues threads, forewarned is 4armed ;-).  Keep asking!

Stay calm

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 12:49:17 PM »

I'm no help on HRT but wanted to say I really feel for you with the work/learning new things and confidence.  Its hard

Charliehorse1

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 01:21:51 PM »

She did say there may be some breakthrough bleeding and if I had been 6 months younger, she wouldn’t have prescribed a continuous does. As I said, I’m a real novice at all this and I haven’t picked up my prescription yet, but I will definitely search the names on here and see what I can find.

Thank you STAY CALM. That is the biggest thing for me. I have been very lucky so far as regards to physical symptoms but I’ve gone from  being a very confident ,able person, to a quiet, nervous one, anxious and feeling like I haven’t got a clue what’s going on!  Luckily, I have some savings I can draw from for a while until I can hopefully ,feel a bit better and get back out there.  There really is no point trying again at the moment, I’m just not capable and that is hard to admit to myself.
I honestly never knew that the menopause could do this to you. I feel like a black and white version of myself. 
Thanks again Ladies