Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Continuous HRT + Mini Pill  (Read 1107 times)

Nita

• First Flush
Continuous HRT + Mini Pill
« on: November 14, 2022, 12:39:21 PM »

Hi
I’m hoping someone can give me some advice. And just reassure me that I’m not doing anything wrong. I’m almost 50. And I THINK I’m still in Perimenopause.

A Bit Of Background History.
In 2018 I was put on the Mini Pill. This was because my periods were completely out of control. I was having extremely heavy periods lasting five to six weeks. One maybe two weeks off, if I was lucky! And then another heavy long period. I was very anemic. I had Iron tablets, Iron infusions, blood transfusions. And I would be back to being seriously anemic again within just a few days.
The mini pill was like a miracle. Over the first three to four months, my periods first became very light and then I stopped having periods altogether. I was happy like that. Until I started to feel more and more unwell. I thought I was getting septicemia (Again) but that is another long story.

12th July 2022
After a load of blood tests confirmed that I wasn’t septic. And there was nothing else wrong with me except for going through the menopause. My doctor put me on Continuous HRT. And told me I could stop taking the Mini Pill as I didn’t need it as contraceptive. My HRT is… Oestrogen = Oestrogel, 1 pump on each arm every day. And Progesterone = Utrogestan, 100mg orally every night.
This worked great for the first six weeks. I started to feel better very quickly. No more freezing cold all the time, with hot sweats here and there. No more sweating all night long. And I started to sleep at night. I hadn’t slept properly for years. And I didn’t even know that was to do with the menopause. The only problem I had was painful breasts. And in the fifth week they were very swollen painful breasts, and terrible lower back pain. Then week 6 I started to bleed. A very light period. I didn’t worry because the doctor said there might be breakthrough bleeding. Week 7 no bleeding. Week 8 another period. A little heavy. And by day nine, I panicked and put myself back on the mini pill.

5 Weeks Later
Starting to regret going back on the mini pill. And not even completely sure If I’m ok to be on Continuous HRT + Mini Pill at the same time. I decided to stop the mini pill again. Only 48 hours later I started another period. And this time it was very heavy. Seven days of nonstop heavy bleeding. A week later I was still bleeding but it was only light. And I hoped things were going to calm down. But just a week later. Thursday 10th November. I started bleeding extremely heavy. And by yesterday, Sunday 13th I just couldn’t take anymore. I didn’t feel well. I felt very weak. So, I gave in again. And started taking the Mini pill once more. This morning I took my second mini pill. Bleeding is still heavy. But not as scary as the last few days have been.

So, Am I ok to take Continuous HRT + Mini Pill?
I think I am! And maybe that is why the doctor left it on my prescription. I just want to be sure.
If I thought, there was any chance my periods would settle down. I wouldn’t take it. But I know from how my periods were in the past. And how extremely heavy I am bleeding right now. Calming down is not very likely. And I’m scared I will just end up being very anemic again.

Has Anyone else been through this or similar?

Thanks In Advance!

Nita

Flossieteacake

Re: Continuous HRT + Mini Pill
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 01:41:32 PM »

Hello Nita and welcome to the forum. It is okay to take the mini pill along HRT. You actually do need the mini pill for contraception as HRT is not going to help with that. When stopping the mini pill it brings on a withdrawal bleed so you bleeding when you stop it is natural.

It sounds like HRT has really helped with the menopausal symptoms you were having. It can make us feel very unwell and HRT can help so much with that.

If you feel better taking the mini pill then I would stay on it. Your periods being lighter sound much better then the heavy ones you have along with the anaemia.

Nita

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 02:19:12 PM »

Hi Flossieteacake,

Thank you for putting my mind at rest. I think I'm going to be taking the mini pill for at least the next 5 years. And then I just prey when I do come off it, hopefully my periods will have stopped. I was given an ultrasound in 2018. I was very ill at the time. And had just had my right kidney removed. So it is a bit fuzzy what I was told. But I'm sure the woman that did the ultrasound told me, I had fibroid's and a few small cysts on my ovaries. So, I think that is probably why my periods are such a problem. It was only because I was in the ITU, the doctors and nurses realised what was going on. I had been bleeding for five weeks even before having my kidney op. They got gynecology involved. And they put me on tablets that made me feel really ill and did nothing to stop the bleeding. About 3 weeks later I went to my GP. She told me the tablets I'd been given would have ended up killing me. She put me on the mini pill instead. ( Cerelle ). She said that she was on it. And hadn't had a period for 11 years. I will be happy if I never have one again. Just hate the menopause!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 03:20:16 PM »

How frightening the gynae was the one who prescribed something so dangerous. Thank goodness your GP realised and stepped in.

I can understand how you feel. I really hate the menopause too.