Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT Side effects  (Read 1250 times)

Helen smith

• First Flush
HRT Side effects
« on: November 14, 2022, 12:33:10 PM »

Hi,
I really hope someone can shed some light on what is going on as I can't find anything on Google that relates to my side effects!
I started on Evorel 50 patches approx 6 weeks ago and I have a Mirena. Everything was fantastic for the first 4/5 weeks, I started to feel like my old self again, my anxiety and sleep had improved and my vertigo was manageable. However I was still having occassional night sweats and at my 6 week review my GP prescribed me Evorel 75 patches to deal with this.
Within a few hours of starting this I experienced horrendous cramping and ovarian pain and felt like my coil was going to fall out! The pains were awful and very strange to have essentially cramp and ovulation pain at the same time! I took the patch off the next day and spoke to the gp who advised me to go back to the 50's, which I have done, but I am still experiencing pains. I have had a period, but this only lasted a couple of days and I still have the pain.

I had a base line scan before I started HRT and everything was fine.

Really don't know what to do, can't get an in person GP's appointment for 2 weeks! Really don't want to have to stop HRT as I really felt like it was helping! Plus the night sweats have actually been worse on the higher dose?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thank you!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT Side effects
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 12:38:41 PM »

A sudden hike may well send the body into melt down, it's about time that GPs realised that HRT needs careful managing.  I would stop the higher dose, give yourself a couple of nights without then go back to 50 for 5 nights.  See how you feel.  It mayB that 75 occasionally, but not every night, might be enough. 

Some find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use. 

How R your periods behaving and what made you want to try HRT? 

Helen smith

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 12:44:51 PM »

Hi,

Thank you!
I am still having periods and always have done with a Mirena, but it was all the other Menopause symptoms that were bothering me. To be honest it has taken me a couple of years to join up the dots and figure it out as I am 56 and have never had a hot flush! I was finding the anxiety absolutely paralysing and had ended up in A and E having a brain scan as I had terrible vertigo and a migraine that lasted 3 weeks! It was only when the night sweats started that I put 2 and 2 together!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 12:47:35 PM »

You've been through the Mill a bit!  Horrendous  :o

Hopefully someone with HRT knowledge will be along.  The search box is quite good: putting the names of the products prescribed - singly - may well pop up threads to read. 

I don't know why anxiety levels rise during peri-menopause  :-\.  As a sufferer I can sympathise!

Vicky81

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 08:41:21 AM »

Helen i have sent you a private message x

Helen smith

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 07:51:53 AM »

Hi Vicky 81, I am so sorry but it won't let me reply to your Dm, says I am not allowed? Could it be as I have only just joined?
I am peri, but 56, my Mum had a late menopause also.
I have always had anxiety, I am a real catastrophiser and come from a long line of them, but it had escalated to a whole 'nother level! It was becoming paralysing. I found that it eased very quickly once starting on the patches, back to a manageable level.
My side effects seem to have settled since I went pack to the 50 patch, so for now I feel great!  ;D

Vicky81

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 04:00:27 PM »

Aww great! Thanks so much xx

Jane007

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 10:59:28 AM »

I’ve just been given HRT in form of Oestrogel (2 pumps) and Utrogestan 100mg tablets - I haven’t had a period for years but have read that I may start getting periods again which I’m not keen on.
Also read that my breast size may increase and start lactating - again not keen on this.
Has anyone had this and how quickly after starting this did they experience this?