Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Heavy bleeding on continuous progesterone  (Read 659 times)

Starshell

Heavy bleeding on continuous progesterone
« on: November 12, 2022, 09:50:38 AM »

Hi All, after some advice please
About 7 months ago I was put on 100mg progesterone continuously with 2-3 pumps Oestrogel
I am 51 and said to GP I am not sure if periods have naturally stopped as had been on Novofem for a few years and was getting a withdrawal bleed monthly
I use the gel am and the tablet orally pm before bed
I am still having pretty regular bleeds, not too heavy but monthly, however  twice now I have had a really heavy bleed around 3 weeks after the previous one, this time it was quite alarming, blood actually dripping out with some small clots in it (sorry for the horrible detail)
I did question this regime with my GP as said I thought continuous was for post meno but she said don’t worry you will just bleed anyway if you’re still having periods
I’m mostly concerned that my womb lining is getting too thick and could put me at risk of cancer
I’m also worried about taking 200mg progesterone as I feel it makes me feel depressed but could try it and see? How do I go about changing my regime, when would I up to the 2 tablets and should I change my amount of Oestrogel?
I would ask the doctor but I’m not sure they know enough about it so thought I would ask on here

Dotty

Re: Heavy bleeding on continuous progesterone
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 09:52:56 AM »

Hi if you’re still having periods you’d be better taking the Utrogestan for 12 days of each month … 200mg for 12 days.

Starshell

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 10:17:06 AM »

Thanks Dotty, do you know when I should make the change over to that?
Do you not take any progesterone at all on the other days?
I’m just wondering if I can cope with 200mg!
Thanks for your reply

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 12:31:27 PM »

Hi  you just take the 200 mg of utrogestan for 12 days.  You take oestrogen every day.  This should regulate your periods.

you would normally count the first day of a period as day 1 of your cycle and start the utrogestan on day 15.  However, if you are having continuous periods its hard to tell which is day 1. So I would just pick a date and start the utrogestan for 12 days and then start it on the same date every month.  It might take a few months for the bleeding to get into a pattern but it should do.

Starshell

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 01:33:26 PM »

Thanks Dotty
I will give that a go xx