Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT post-menopause- advice?  (Read 1114 times)

Fedupandtired

• First Flush
HRT post-menopause- advice?
« on: November 09, 2022, 03:05:06 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and lookin for advice.
   I am post menopausal for quite a long time, my last period being Spetember 2013. I have had a lot of the symptoms but struggled on, because I mistakenly thought we weren't encouraged to have HRT anymore, but also because I was so exhausted I couldn't think straight! Natural rmedies didn't help anyway and thus, sick to the back teeth of feeling so werecked with fatigue all the time, I went to the GP this summer and asked for HRT.
   I have recently found out that being Post-menopause but within 10 years and still having my uterus, I should be on continous combined HRT, so changed the way I took Utrogestan to one cap every night. I had had a bleed and it stopped straight away, I was sleeping far better but because I have to keep irregular hours, sometimes having to drive until nealry midnight, and some mornings having to start driving as early as 6.30AM, I started leaving it some nights because it made me feel a bit "spaced out" and I worried I was not safe to drive. I did this earlier this week and yesterday woke up to savage bleeding, and was flooding at times; I changed my pad 4 times yesterday and had pain and was worried sick all day because I was supposed to drive late last night. Thankfully someone else offered so I was spared.
   I took my Utrogestan last night and today the bleeding is less but hasn't stopped and I have had to take paracetemol for mild pain. I also wonder did the bleeding start because I had still been feeling tired so increased my oestrogen patch from half to a whole one? I removed it yesterday evening and replaced it with a half-a-patch and the bleeding slowed right down.
   I know that I should see my GP but TBH, I don't feel able yet for sitting for over half an hour in their bleak waiting room for my appointment ( they're always late by at least 30 mins if not more!) and also, GPs only get a day in med. school on the menopause so in a way, I suspect I may get more accurate advice from experienced women on this forum?
   Has anyone experienced similar? Shall I stick to the half-a-patch of oestrogen? Should I start using the Utrogestan vaginally instead of orally( when the bleeding has reduced enough or stopped!)?
   Hope someone can advise. Thanks.

Taz2

Re: HRT post-menopause- advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 08:36:55 PM »

Hi Fedupandtired. It sounds as if you have had quite a meno journey. How long have you been on HRT and which strength patch of oestrgen are you on? Was it your GP who suggested a half patch? The bleeding could be caused by you missing out the utrogestan now and again which will trigger a withdrawal bleed.

Sorry for brief reply. I'm out at the moment but wanted to welcome you and let you know your post had been read.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Fedupandtired

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 04:18:45 PM »

Thank you for the reply and welcom Taz2 and sorry for late reply.
  I've been given Estrodot 50 microgram patches, and I have just seen it says appy a patch b2x a week, not half a patch which was what I was prescribed before with a different type of patch. It has made me realise I've been going round in a bit of a trance!Not good! I'm going to apply the other half of the patch now and see does that help.
  The bleeding is only spotting now but I've had pain, like a soreness in the lower abdomen and in my back when I get up off a chair. I've had this back pain on and off for just oer a week and thought it was trapped wind; t might be but it might be related to the bleeding as well. Talk about a muddle!
   I have a break from driving now for the next week or so so I'm going to take the Utrogestan every night and see how I go. Maybe the increased Oestrogen will help me be more alert whilst behind the wheel?
  It seems this is a case of trial and error as our hormones are so temperamental, but it is withering at times.
  Thanks again, I really appreciate the reply!

Fedupandtired

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 04:20:22 PM »

P.S. I started HRT in June or July- I can't quite remember, my memory is not great.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 04:32:28 PM »

:welcomemm:    :bighug: