Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Pausing hrt  (Read 882 times)

Mummytron

Pausing hrt
« on: November 09, 2022, 05:21:45 PM »

Hi
I've posted on here in bits but thought it was best to tell the full story and see what you all think.
Started hrt 2 weeks ago, 1 pump of gel and then 200mg of utrogeston (or whatever its called) last night.
Sleep almost instantly better, first week not so bad.
2nd week not great and into 3rd week, Headaches, really bad dizziness and nausea.
GP has suggested stopping for 2 weeks to see if symptoms subside and then cab go back on if I feel happy to once I know what the situation is.
My friends have been on it with hardly any issues so I'm frustrated it's my bad luck again!
Any thoughts?

Flossieteacake

Re: Pausing hrt
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 05:35:04 PM »

I cannot see why stopping and starting will help. I feel it will confuse your body. If the side effects are too much I would ask to try something else. It could be the utrogestan making you feel unwell.

This is the first time you have tried HRT so I would ask to try the lowest dose of oestrogen first. Once your body is used to it and you do not get side effects I would then ask to try a different profesterone.

I am sure other members will have different ideas too. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 05:39:45 PM »

Your friends might not remember how they were when they first began HRT ;-).  Do what feels right for your body.

What symptom would you like to ease first?  Why did you go on it initially?

Katherine

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 06:20:43 PM »

Mummytron 200mg of utrogestan sounds a lot to start on. I’m on 100mg and 2 pumps of gel and it improved my sleep fast but I feel like the utrogestan builds up in my system and I end up  tired and feeling a bit sedated. I have got round this by skipping a dose here and there but I need a longer term solution. Maybe that’s what’s happened with you- initially helping but then side effects later on. Maybe try 100mg and try different regimes? I feel like it’s not the utrogestan that’s the problem it’s getting the dose and regime right…

Mummytron

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 06:23:25 PM »

It does see strange that after my first progesterone, I am so poorly.
I saw a different GP, so I think she is trying to rule out any other reason for the symptoms.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 06:39:11 PM »

Many have problems with progesterone.

pepperminty

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 07:07:05 PM »

This is common with the progesterone part.  you are feeling good with the estrogen.
You need to give it 3 months as the body can adjust. Do not stop and start, that makes things worse.  wait and see and if in 3 months you are still feeling bad then consider changing the progesterone. write a diary . Take some magnesium and try calming meditation - it all helps . Fingers crossed for you.

PMxx

Mummytron

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 07:09:39 PM »

The problem is I was incredibly dizzy today and couldn't work (in a classroom)
How do people cope?

Mummytron

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 06:44:18 AM »

Also, whats the alternatives to utrogeston?
I thought I was on the 'kindest' one.

pepperminty

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 07:03:18 AM »

everyone is different,  and reactions can change. look at the treatment tabs at the top of the page for different types. also try putting questions in the search box and look at others questions and responses.

you need life style changes too - good food , relaxation, optimal levels of vitamins and minerals in the body . Look at liz earle's website .

PMXX

Alice

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 07:26:51 AM »

Hi Mummytron,
An alternative could be the mirena? It acts directly on your uterus instead of taking a progestogen though your whole body. I think it's inevitable that a bit will still get into your bloodstream, but I've never had side effects from mine.

Perinowpost

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 08:09:41 AM »

Hi Mummytron

Like the others have said I wouldn’t stop and start. I do think the balance of O to P is wrong though, I would up O to 2 pumps of gel, and reduce P to 100mg at night and see if you feel any better.

If this doesn’t work I would try utrogestan on a sequi regime. This way you are taking less progesterone (it’s usually the culprit) and giving your body a break from it, so it’s easier to see what is doing what. Lot’s of us do this to get the benefits of oestrogen only.

Wishing you well. Let us know how you get on x

Katherine

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 09:34:32 AM »

I agree with perinowpost, you are taking the highest dose of utrogestan with the lowest dose of oestrogen so the utrogestan will be dominant and I think it’s likely to be the utrogestan causing the problem if it is your HRT. You can’t go on feeling dizzy and so unwell. 2 pumps of gel to 100mg utrogestan would be a much better starting point in my opinion. I would check with your gp though

Mummytron

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 03:10:25 PM »

Ok thank you. I wonder why she put me on the highest does of progesterone.
I'll contact her and ask, thanks all.